Wally World Special 10/22 discontinued

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Incahiker

Bearcat
So says someone that works at wal-mart. They said that they will no longer be getting any more wally world specials because ruger wanted them to raise the prices up 40%, wal-mart did not agree and that was the end of the deal. Anyone here work at wal-mart that can confirm this? They will still be carrying the carbines, but the special is apparently no longer made.

Link

joshheat25

Bearcat
I Actually went to wal mart today and there were no more ruger 10/22's there at all...

Incahiker

Bearcat
Well, ruger 10/22s were rare to find in walmarts in the 1st place. I just bought my ruger 10/22 about a little over a week ago, got it an hour after it came in. Got really lucky on that one :D

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
I was told basically the same thing, and a fellow on RFC.com who's a Wal-Mart manager said he had been told the same thing. He actually posted it before I really even thought about it. A price increase seems to be the culprit.

Of course I was told the same thing three years ago, too.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
If so, it's another case of WM wanting to dictate the terms to their suppliers without wavering. So many reasons NOT to go there yet after all the bad press and anti-WM threads all over the forums, ppl still head on it to get greeted. :roll:

jimd441

Blackhawk
I have not been in a WalMart in over 5 years. It seemed that every time I went into one I swore I would never be back. The proverbial last straw was when they wouldn't let me put the printer toner I was buying into my cart so I could continue shopping.

WalMart is well known for bullying their suppliers. The flip side is that they have singlehandedly improved logistics worldwide.

Jim

CZReverend

Bearcat
You know, I used to buy 10/22's from walmart, until I stumbled upon "non-walmart" 10/22's at a local dealer. The ones at the dealer were gorgeous, with Ruger engraved in the wood stock and different stock shapes, better finish on the barrel. I am not too sad about this.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I am probably the only one to think this, but I personally believe that ANY 10/22 priced over $200 is overpriced. Even before they moved to the plastic parts.

They are great guns, but are mass produced and slapped together pretty cheap. I have a 1 year old Sheridan pellet rifle that is 100% brass and walnut, 100% made in the USA, has better fit and finish than any 10/22 made, and still manages to make a profit when selling at well under $150. It just doesn't add up.

I want Ruger to do well, but I can't fault Walmart for dropping the 10/22 special. Ruger, in this case, is doing exactly what people have been antagonizing Walmart with for what seems to be forever...Kinda ironic.

chet15

Hawkeye
I_Like_Pie":3v39l51z said:
I am probably the only one to think this, but I personally believe that ANY 10/22 priced over $200 is overpriced. Even before they moved to the plastic parts.

I applaud Ruger for making this move! Have you seen what Ruger's dealer price is in their basic 10/22-RB model??? Its $204.44. So what you are saying is you want the stocking dealer to take a $4.44 loss on every gun they sell, not to mention the fees associated with getting those guns to their store in the first place?
Just one more reason buying and selling guns will be no more sometime in the future. Obama will only have hand in a part of that. Folks like you will have had a hand in the rest of it.
Wal-Mart did not make Ruger. The consumer and the stocking dealer made Ruger.
It looks like Ruger is trying to get back to their roots by having wider distributorship through their stocking dealers.
Chet15

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
chet15":192krals said:
Have you seen what Ruger's dealer price is in their basic 10/22-RB model??? Its $204.44.

I agree. Walmart wants to go lower and Ruger wants to go higher. I am thinking that even at $204.44 dealer price from Ruger could be a lot less if they got the squeeze.

I am glad that Ruger can fetch this price. However...the sayin that money talks holds true here too. There is a price point that any product will reach where a customer will say "too much"

That point is about $200 for me on a 10/22. Wouldn't spend much more than that even if Ruger's well being depended on it. Same thing for x>$500 for a Blackhawk or $600 for a Redhawk.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73":9yyb2gqh said:
If so, it's another case of WM wanting to dictate the terms to their suppliers without wavering. So many reasons NOT to go there yet after all the bad press and anti-WM threads all over the forums, ppl still head on it to get greeted. :roll:

How is that different than what I do with everything I buy? If it's too expensive, I don't buy it.

tuttletom

Bearcat
I have 6 or 7 10/22s, I think the ww 10/22s are a great buy. A few of my 10/22s ,I have two or three times the price of a ww 10/22 in them. I only buy if its something I want.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
CZReverend":sonb4eoi said:
You know, I used to buy 10/22's from walmart, until I stumbled upon "non-walmart" 10/22's at a local dealer. The ones at the dealer were gorgeous, with Ruger engraved in the wood stock and different stock shapes, better finish on the barrel. I am not too sad about this.

Got any pics??

While many folks lament the thought of spending any money at WalMart, if a person wanted a WalMart Special 10/22-22, then WalMart was the only option.

Yes, we can get 10/22's just about anywhere, but again, if a guy is into "variations", then there is just one outlet for the WalMart variation.

So, if WalMart is not gonna sell this variation any longer, then that is the end of this variation. Get them while you can. The WalMart's in my area, don't carry guns any longer, anyway.

And as far as the normally catalogued 10/22's go, I never saw that they were ever any cheaper at WalMart, anyway, so that's when I would continue to buy them through more conventional firearm outlets.

And, at the thought of another discontinued variation, I'd be guilty, right now, of hoarding, as I'd buy all I could.

WAYNO.

9x19

Hunter
Wal-Mart employs how many folks?

Wal-Mart posted a profit when most other retailers did not.

Yeah... they sound evil to me.

Glad I already have a pair of WM specials... and I appreciate any retailer who can keep prices down... too bad they weren't a bigger seller of ammo... maybe the current scalper's prices wouldn't be as bad. :D

chet15

Hawkeye
I_Like_Pie":oyu24sgx said:
chet15":oyu24sgx said:
Have you seen what Ruger's dealer price is in their basic 10/22-RB model??? Its $204.44.

I agree. Walmart wants to go lower and Ruger wants to go higher.

That point is about $200 for me on a 10/22. Wouldn't spend much more than that even if Ruger's well being depended on it. Same thing for x>$500 for a Blackhawk or $600 for a Redhawk.

But their not Wal-Mart's guns, their Ruger's guns. Ruger probably shouldn't have made the deal when they did in the first place (the first BBZ laminates that were around two decades ago) as that set a precedent.
On the $500 Blackhawk and the $600 Redhawk, that's just a fact of life. Would still like like to get a 25 cent pop at the local gas station too.
Chet15

9x19

Hunter
Sure, but we can't blame Wal-Mart for dropping a product they didn't think their customers would buy at the increased price (a 40% increase has been mentioned) the maker demands.

Product mix and pricing is a difficult balance.

chet15

Hawkeye
9x19":11b6pb5o said:
Sure, but we can't blame Wal-Mart for dropping a product they didn't think their customers would buy at the increased price (a 40% increase has been mentioned) the maker demands.
Product mix and pricing is a difficult balance.

It is Ruger's fault for selling them at a pretty big discount to Wal-Mart in the first place. It is no different than volume dealers selling their guns for $5 over their own cost just so they can get the sale, and buy cheaper from the distributor. But it also costs the small time dealer in a big way.
Wal-mart is in the business to make $, so why carry the item when it costs them more?
This is exactly why this country is having the problems it is today. Wages go up, the cost of living goes up. Any extra dollar you make, somebody else is going to do their best to take it....a never ending cycle until the bubble bursts. Why do you suppose Wal-mart buys most of their goods from China? Because every country except the US can make it cheaper, and its usually the US companies that relocated to those other countries to make those products that Wal-mart sells.
Its all about the $.
We've done it to ourselves!!!
Chet15[/b]

Darth AkSarBen

Bearcat
I have a Stainles 10/22 Ruger I bought just a few years ago. Bought it here in Michigan at Wal-Mart. What is so different about the Wal-Mart Rugers? Don't see any firearms at our Wal-Marts around here, now, except black powder.