• This might be good for some folks, but probably not me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What was Ruger thinking? Total bust

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dacaur

Single-Sixer
Clint50 said:
Preliminary pricing on the Sig P290 is going to be over $750. That's almost twice what an LC9 will cost and I do not like the Sig's laser sight set-up,at all. My LCP w/CT laser sights is much better,IMO.

Thats MSRP... street price I heard will be closer to $500 or so.... even thats pushing it for me... I dont see why/how mfg's like kahr can sell these itty bitty 9mm's for the same price you can get a nice 1911! I like the Kahr PM9, but its pricing is ridiculous!

I think pricing is whats going to sell the LC9... It should have a street price around $350-$360. which isnt bad at all for a sub compact 9mm. Personally, I'll take my kel-tec PF9, its lighter and smaller at $279, but lots of people are put off by a gun thats "too cheap" thinking it costs so much less that it must be "cheap" rather than just "inexpensive"....

dogfood said:
The LC9 fills a gap in Ruger's product line. Whether that gap was large or small - or needed filling at all - appears to be open to debate ... a debate in which I have zero interest. From a marketing perspective, I think this product is a winner, considering it's probably targeted for the average Joe or Jane who owns one (or perhaps just a few) handguns.
dogfood

No, I think this was a gap that needed filling, they just did a crap job filling it... The "Idea" of this gun was EXACTLY what I wanted from ruger, a small single stack 9mm.... However the execution of that idea was piss poor at best... a gun that you may depend on to save your life should be as simple as possible, without added "safety features" that arent going to help anyone when the time comes to use it. Its just stupid that the bean counters decided to make only ONE version of the gun...

I just think that Ruger, in trying to make EVERYONE happy (CA/MA/etc) made a gun that will make almost NO ONE happy,.... I dont think that anyone who is buying this gun for its intended purpose (CC) can say that, given the choice between this gun as it is and this gun without the mag disconnect, LCI, and internal lock, they would take it as it is now.

I guess they can still redeem themselves by making another version for the free states without all the BS.... We can hope....

khutch

Bearcat
I have no interest in a CCW, Illinois probably would not let me have an interest in one if what others say is true, and even if Illinois allowed it I still would have no interest in one. So it is a pass for me, not a must have. I hope that it sells well for Ruger and satisfies those of you who buy one. The notion that all of us would consider it to be our next must have gun is the real mistake on Ruger's part, assuming they even believed that marketing hype themselves. That is doubtful really since I doubt they or any one else could come up with any single weapon all of us would immediately want to have save the 10/22 and of course we all already have one or more of those....

One thing is for sure, if they had come up with a single weapon that we all would instantly want they would really have something.

Ken

WANT A LCR 22LR

Bearcat
""
I call it a miss.....

Let me count the ways...
Magazine disconnect..
internal lock..
loaded chamber indicator...
too big. ""

On this and other boards I keep hearing the same complaints ( except for size ) Why would anyone want to fire a auto with the mag removed? ( given I'm a revolver guy for the moment I'm guessing the auto guys get confused with all those tiny levers and might dump the mag at the wrong time :)

As for internal lock, is really a problem? The lock on my LCR and GP 100 is transparent.

Changer indicator isn't a issue either.

There were also complaints of a safety on a double action auto, this is driven my some states laws. I'm guessing the safety can be easily removed.

There is also a complaint of long heavy trigger. I don't consider this a issue as it is double action and will never have the feel of single action.

K_Mac

Bearcat
I voted number two. I have an SR9c that I really like. I have considered the LCP, but do not like it not having an external safety. I know having one is a deal breaker for some of you, but for me it is a required feature. The only question is how the LC9 fits in a pocket. If it fits well I will have one, if not no thanks.

gramps

Hawkeye
Why wouldn't you want to be able to fire the pistol without the mag in place? What if someone were trying to disable your gun in a scuffle and hit the mag release. You would still have one round vs none.
gramps

Mike J

Hunter
K_Mac said:
I voted number two. I have an SR9c that I really like. I have considered the LCP, but do not like it not having an external safety. I know having one is a deal breaker for some of you, but for me it is a required feature. The only question is how the LC9 fits in a pocket. If it fits well I will have one, if not no thanks.

You would need large pockets. I have a Kel Tec P11 that is shorter in height & length than this gun. The LC9 is one tenth of an inch thinner according to Rugers specs. The P-11 does not work as a pocket gun for me. I have seen some post that they do pocket carry one on a regular basis so I guess it depends on how you dress. Guns this size do make nice IWB carry guns. I do believe the trigger on the LC9 is probably better than the 8.5 pound loooooong pull on my P11.

Personally I voted not for me. I already have a 9mm in this size range. I don't care for the external safety & mag disconnect. I do wish Ruger would do separate runs of these guns with & without these "safety" features. That way they could still sell in the more oppressive states & the rest of us could have guns without these features.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
WANT A LCR 22LR said:
""
On this and other boards I keep hearing the same complaints ( except for size ) Why would anyone want to fire a auto with the mag removed? ( given I'm a revolver guy for the moment I'm guessing the auto guys get confused with all those tiny levers and might dump the mag at the wrong time :)

As for internal lock, is really a problem? The lock on my LCR and GP 100 is transparent.

Changer indicator isn't a issue either.

There were also complaints of a safety on a double action auto, this is driven my some states laws. I'm guessing the safety can be easily removed.

There is also a complaint of long heavy trigger. I don't consider this a issue as it is double action and will never have the feel of single action.

on the mag disconect. First, its not unheard of to accidentlay press the mag release, either by having it bumped by the holster or your body, or just accidentaly pressing it as you draw... a gun with a mag disconect becomes a crappy club in that situation, on my kel-tec PF9, I still have one shot....
Second, When i dry fire my guns for trigger practice, I do so with the mag OUT of the gun ALWAYS. Why? I have read of several instances of negligent discharges where the person had checked the chamber and found it empty, but failed to notice the round in the mag, which loaded into the chamber when the slide was closed.... These were not instances of newbs with guns, they were experienced gun people who made a mistake.... You say it couldnt happen to you, I say, why take the chance?
and three... when the SHTF and the end of the world comes, and LC9 found without a mag, or your own LC9 with its mag lost, is worth about 15 ounces of steel and polymer... My P95, Mark I, kel-tec PF9 all my rifles, and every other gun i will ever own will still be a single shot gun without their mags...

Also, the mechanism can fail, rendering the gun useless...

Same with the internal lock.. the mechanism can fail, and then the gun doesnt work.

On a gun im just going to take to the range and shoot at paper its inconvienient., on a hunting rifle, I lose the deer, On a CCW, I or someone I love dies.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I voted "thinking, but not sold" just because I have no need for it. I have carry guns, mainly my S&W M&P 40, and given my locale, I'm in extremely low likelihood to ever need it.

gig

Single-Sixer
chopprs said:
Disagree gig! A high quality 9mm pocket sized auto will have as good or better accuracy than a standard pocket revolver (Kahr has a match grade barrel) and it is thinner thusly easier to carry. Reloading is also a primary concern in SD and unless you are a pro you will be reloading your mini auto far quicker than a revolver....this could save your life!!!

Your right, I should have made it more clear I was referring to accuracy with a small handgun not the accuracy of the gun itself.

Strange

Bearcat
My vote was "This gun is excellent and a true must have" not that I'm running out to buy one, but I think I will own one before next winter. It will give me a great opportunity to switch off my LCP for IWB carry. For me the SR9c is just a little to big to use as a carry piece comfortably. LCP for summer and a LC9 in the winter when its easier to conceal plus with heavier clothing the 9mm is a better round for penetration.

mn_doggie

Bearcat
RICHGCOOP said:
I voted excellent, But if I get one. I will remove some of the thing I don't like on it.
But I see why thy had to put them on.

And you will paint parts of it to make it "purdy". :D

Rugerlvr

Bearcat
Why would anyone vote total bust? Ruger is filling a gap in it's product line. Do you all hate on Smith & Wesson for bringing out yet another variant of a snub-nose .38 when they do it? They aren't even filling a gap, they're just putting it out because they know it will sell.

Do you guys on the Ruger forum not want Ruger to be a full-line gun maker?

leejack

Single-Sixer
I voted good for some, but not for me.

Let's get a chant going:

NINETEEN ELEVEN! NINETEEN ELEVEN!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knuckles

Buckeye
I bet if the LC9 was never made... nobody would have missed it... but that doesn't mean they won't sell.
I really like Rugers... I have since I was a kid in the 1960's hunting with my Dad.

Double-action Revolvers are great handguns, I went the plastic semi-auto first and then the 1911's along with lots of single-action revolvers.

Ruger can redeem themselves with a good chunk of there loyal customers (including me) buy bringing out a sp101 or LCR in the same 9mm caliber like they did when they made the LCP.380acp and LCR.38spl+p

How hard can it be to please two buyers markets this year?... bring out a new caliber wheel gun. I'll go put one on lay-a-way if they bring out something DA in .22LR - 9mm - 10mm - .44spl - .45acp (not a Redhawk!)

Heck I'd snap up a Ruger 10mm in plastic if they made an SR10/10mm... there are so many choices... I could go on for pages on lever-actions and shotguns alone.

NINETEEN-ELEVEN!... NINETEEN-ELEVEN! :lol:

Yawn

Blackhawk
Two interesting points. First, they lawyered the gun for 50 state sales..., but the gun is marketed for concealed carry... and nost of the states that require the lawyer parts dont readily allow for conceal carry. I love Ruger! I love my SR9. Making it the way they did made sense! But there are just a lot about this gun that simply doesn't make sense.

The swing is now definitely toward the positive of this gun. It will be interesting to see which way these comments change once the gun is in hand.

Yawn

Blackhawk
I have to admit, from the pre-lims, I really just don't understand this gun, but it is looking like Ruger made a good decision designing it. There is a lot more support for it than I thought there was going to be!

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Great new gun, I really like it and think it will sell well.
Won't be getting one as I already have a Kel-Tec P-11, it carries 10+1 and I very happy with it for cool weather CCW..

Next purchase will be a true "pocket pistol" for warm weather CCW. I like the LCP but am leaning towards the Taurus TCP. I've done my homework on the guns and the trigger on the TCP is just SO much smoother and lighter, plus it's available in "black stainless".
Sal

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Mind you, this is just my opinion. But I bet it may have been received even better if it were the size of the Kahr PM9. At least the Kahr does not have a mag disconnect.

Now for me, if it were an LC45, I would love that.

PS: Speaking of Kahr Arms, has anybody fired the PM45? If so, how snappy was it?

khutch

Bearcat
Rugerlvr said:
Why would anyone vote total bust?

Because of the way Ruger hyped the gun before revealing it.

How can anyone say it is a must have? I don't want a gun like this at all. Even for those who do it sounds to me like there are many other options. So there is no sense in which it is a must have except for those who collect every Ruger ever made. The people who say it is a bust are not Ruger marketing and sales professionals, they are not Ruger VPs, and they are not trying to rain on the parade of those of you who like the gun. They are simply saying it failed to excite them in any way proportionate to the hype and the boast that this would be their next must have gun.

I didn't vote bust but I think that most of us who did vote negative to neutral have expressed a belief that it will sell well and please those of you who are interested in it. So enjoy your gun! If Ruger had just announced a gun that I felt was a must have and you were uninterested in it, I'd feel sorry for your disappointment and I would enjoy the heck out of the gun. I don't think it is possible for Ruger to come up with a gun that every single one of us would regard as a must have.

Ken