Vietnam Veterans Day.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IKE

Single-Sixer
To all those men and women that served in Vietnam and especially to those that gave their lives for this great country.....You Are Not Forgotten !

vnvd.jpg

vnvd2.jpg

BearBiologist

Hunter
I served during that period but not "over there". Many of my brothers served and a few were lost "there"!

Vaya con Dios!

🥰🥰🥰

epags

Single-Sixer
Having a regularly scheduled Friday lunch with Vietnam era vets today. Those who directly served and survived Vietnam action are our most quiet. Yes PTSD can last a lifetime. The Vietnam war, for a number of our lunch bunch vets was 65 years ago.
FWIW, By some unspoken agreement, at lunch, there is never any talk about comrades that did not come back.
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Last edited:
Walter Cronkite has much blood on his hands in my opinion. After Tet I have read the VC was beat so badly, they were willing to sue for peace. Then Cronkite reported on his news cast (the most trusted man in America) that the war could not be one. The North took that as an opportunity to stay in. When they saw all the protests they knew if they stuck it out the Americans would eventually go home.

Thank you to all vets! But I do hold a special place in my heart for the Vietnam era vets because my brother and others from our neighborhood where there during the TET offensive. After he came home my brother was a changed man. He spent his life alone and estranged from his family. We would see him once every ten years or so until I talked him into moving from Southern California to the NE Arizona mountains where the wife and I retired to. This was April of 2022, he made it one year and passed away at 72 years old.

During his year up here I learned a lot about his PTSD. He could never have a relationship because of his severe night terror nightmares where he relived certain battles. He would wake up in a cold sweat, gun in hand, search is apartment for the enemy. This was a constant during his life after Vietnam. He became a loaner and refused to join any clubs or discussions that center around veterans, he did everything he could to distance himself from those things. He seemed to live in a pre-nam era, music and nostalgia wise.

I am happy to have had him hear in paradise the for last year of his life, he really liked it here. We made sure he got a proper send off at the VA cemetery in Prescott Arizona. It was a great tribute to my brother but he is only one of thousands.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep,, today is a day for those Vets in particular. I'm a little too young to have gone,, but my brother did (2) tours, and I'm always proud of him.

And since I joined shortly after Vietnam,, I served with a LOT of Vets who'd been there as well. I feel very close to many of them. A hearty "Welcome Home" is given to any I see who served there.

I served a year in Vietnam, which now seems a lifetime ago (I was there from '70-'71). I had no idea that there was such a thing as "Vietnam Veterans' Day". I do volunteer work with a hospice organization where I visit with other veterans who are at the end days of their life. So far I have rarely had to visit with a fellow Vietnam vet, but it does get to me sometimes when the dying vet that I am visiting is younger than myself. FWIW, I served as an officer in the Army for 24 years. Those were the best days of my life. I was young, healthy and raising four great kids. I feel blessed to be relatively healthy now, still with the same great gal (58 years married in a few weeks from now) and get to spend a good amount of time with grandkids.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
I was in country 1968-69. I was stationed at Bien Hoa AB, 3rd TFW 604thSOS. I have a few in country vet friends, but most have passed. We were treated very bad by all when we came home. I ended up serving 27 years in the AF.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Have not but I'll check into that for sure. Early this upcoming June wife and I are flying to Normandy for the 80th anniversary of D-Day. Going with my Army nephew and his wife and some other Vets. Can't wait! 🇺🇸🫡

4 years ago we drove down to Virginia to pick up wife's new kitten. While heading through the state we stopped at Manasass battle sight as well as The Wilderness. My GG grandfather fought at both. It was during COVID so no tours but we walked the battlefields and even briefly got lost in the Wilderness. Thankfully a high school runner pointed us the way out. lol.

Last edited:

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
Question: How many businesses that we use had anything resembling a
"Vietnam Veterans Day Sale" or just an add honoring Vietnam Veterans?
I sent an email to every single business I buy from shaming them that
didn't in some way mention OUR DAY. It was a long list. I'm sorry to
say. Damn shame too!
Dano

Latest posts