Very Early New Model Blackhawk .45 Gem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jptopdwn

Single-Sixer
Yesterday morning I stopped in my local store as part of my morning ritual and in the case a New Model Blackhawk .45 caught my eye. The 7 1/2" barrel markings looked like my Old Models. Upon closer examination I noticed that it also had Old Model grip medallions. Luckily it came with the original red box and to my surprise the box contained a matching 45acp cylinder in its own box and red bag. Even though the end of the red box didn't say convertible.....it obviously shipped that way. The inside lid of the box says January 1973.....The serial number is 46-056xx. It is in absolutely mint condition and I snatched it up immediately. My question is......should I write in and get a letter from Ruger to nail down the manufactured date? Have the early New Models attained collector status yet? Thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
According to the RENE guide, that gun was shipped in 1974. The box will not have anything showing it shipped as a convertible. Only the shippers were marked with "BN-45X" (with the X denoting the extra cylinder.) The inside lid has printed info about patent dates. I'd spend the $10 to get the exact ship date and to see for sure if it shipped as a convertible.
As for collector status,, well, not as much as you'd like. But there are folks who prefer the "pre-warning" variations over the one with the "billboard warning."

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The old model grip medallions are still a mystery however, if by old model you mean black eagles (Phoenix actually because the Sturm Ruger gun company rose from the ashes of Bill's 1st tool company that went belly up). The silver eagles began in 1971 and were already in use for two years before the new models were introduced.

I'd guess it's totally possible that a set of "blackbirds" floated to the top of the parts bin when that gun was assembled.

The other possibility, of course, Bob would have explained as a "screwdriver variation".

;) ;) ;)

street

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
I'd guess it's totally possible that a set of "blackbirds" floated to the top of the parts bin when that gun was assembled.

The other possibility, of course, Bob would have explained as a "screwdriver variation".

;) ;) ;)
Yes! It's possible, but you have to remember that the last year to year and a half of the Old Models they started using the silver "Squashed Eagle" grips. So if they did have a Black Eagle make it from the bottom of the "parts bin", which would be close to two years, it would be highly unlikely. Chances are by this time there were no Black Eagles left, but with Ruger "NEVER SAY NEVER". :shock: :shock: