Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerMen

Bearcat
I have a P95 stainless and was thinking about getting the Vaquero 5 1/2" 45 stainless. If it's as reliable as my P95 I'm on it. Can anyone verify it's reliability?

cayuse jack

Bearcat
if you are asking is a Ruger Vaquero a quality product the answer is yes!

Revolver reliability is hard to compare to auto pistol reliability... An auto must use the recoil force of the round being fired to work the action to ready the firearm to fire the next round. It must also feed from a magazine.
Autos can also be finicky about cartridge length.
A single action revolver like the Vaquero uses you to cock the hammer and turn the cylinder, does not feed from a magazine and as long as the ammunition fits in the cylinder it should be ok (assuming you are using the correct caliber ammo).

Assuming the revolver is in working condition without any problems and the correct ammunition is used in the gun (correct caliber), and there are no high primers or any other ammunition related problems and you work the action correctly its going to fire the round.
If the round doesn't fire you cock the hammer to bring another round under the hammer and pull the trigger.

Concerning revolver reliability, perhaps a better question would be how reliable are you at working the action of a single action revolver?

Cowboy Billy

Single-Sixer
:) As far as mechanically, The Vaquero is as reliable as they come(Any Ruger SA for that matter). That P95 is good too. Mine works well. Buy the Vaquero, You wont be disappointed :!: :wink:

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
The "Vaquero" is what we now call the "Old Vaquero" and was discontinued in 2004. It was built on the large-frame, that is, the same 44Magnum-class frame as the SuperBlackhawk except with fixed sights. It was "overlarge" for most people wanting a "traditional SA".

The New Vaquero took over in 2004, built on a revival of the mid-size frame that Ruger hadn't shipped since 1972. The NewVaq of course has the transfer bar safety unlike the previous mid-frames. The NewVaq is very similar in size/heft/feel to a Colt SAA made after WW2.

The NewVaq isn't as tough, in some respects. When chambered in 45LC you're limited to the same power levels as what a Colt can handle, which is still decent but not the magnum-class 45LC+Ps that the OldVaqs could handle. In 357Mag, the other main caliber, the NewVaq can handle anything you can throw at it - the cylinder walls are still beefier than a Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 or other L-frame. There's also some limited-production runs of 44Special lately - and those wrongly got marked "Vaquero" when in fact they're mid-frame NewVaqs.

Now here's the kicker: the reason you want a NewVaq is that all six chambers were cut with the same bit/reamer set, in sequence. The OldVaqs were done on machines that did them all-six-at-once, which often led to variances between chambers. So the average out-of-the-box accuracy of the NewVaq is higher.

In 2007 or so the remaining large-frame Rugers got the new cylinder process, which is good. You can ID such guns via looking at the barrel - if the "read the manual" safety BS is on the underside of the barrel, you have the new process, while the warning on the barrel's side means old (not as good). Again: this only affects large-frames - mid-frames always had the cylinder improvements from the first (well, 2004 anyways).

One more detail if you're looking for peak accuracy: get the 357. When they screw the barrel into the frame, the thicker barrel walls of the 357 resist deformation. With the 44s and 45s you often get a "constriction" at the back of the barrel. The good news is, this is fixable. Either have a gunsmith ream the forcing cone deeper (a "Taylor Throat" job, or sometimes called a "Maxi-Throat") or do a bit of fire-lapping to grind down high spots using grit compound on some handloaded bullets. You'll have to google for more info on that - you can get kits with instructions.

gobe

Bearcat
Excellent write up on the Vaquero's, Jim. Seen many, but that's one of the best! Passed it around to a few of my Vaquero shooters friends ... with your byline, of course.

Knuckles

Buckeye
gobe said:
Excellent write up on the Vaquero's, Jim. Seen many, but that's one of the best! Passed it around to a few of my Vaquero shooters friends ... with your byline, of course.

I thought the same thing... well worded (although I knew the info') it was a pleasant read.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Thank you kindly.

Some more details:

* There's an exception to the large-frame cylinder process rule: the 2006-era 50th Anniversary 44Mag Blackhawk Flattop was the first large-frame to get the new cylinder process. It has a side-barrel warning label :).

* NewVaqs and other modern mid-frames (the 50th Anniversary 357 Blackhawk Flattop, the 44Spl Blackhawks and the Montado) can take a surprising number of parts off the large-frames: grip frames can be swapped around as can hammers, triggers, pawls, transfer bars and other fiddly bits. Cylinder is of course different as is the base pin. First mod I did on my gun in 2005 was a SuperBlackhawk hammer. When mounting a grip frame meant for the large guns, you have to also bring over the large-frame "keeper", mainspring strut and mainspring but those are pretty cheap at Brownell's or Midway. This would let you build a Bird's-Head NewVaq fr'instance, or do a Bisley conversion.

* You can also fit large-frame barrels, with some work. There's been some very successful conversions of NewVaq357s to 41Magnum with the stock cylinder reamed out and a take-off 41 barrel modified from a Blackhawk or whatever.

Rclark

Hunter
About as reliable as the sunrise, maybe a little less.
Yep. Very dependable. Once in awhile you might have the base pin jump on hot loads, but that can be fixed with a locking base pin or heavier spring on the base pin hold button. I don't have it happen enough to worry about it.

As for .45 Colt, the New Vaquero can use 'hotter' loads than normal. The SAMMI level for .45 Colt is 14,000psi. The NV will handle ~20,000psi. The old Vaquero and BH are up at to 30,000psi level (Ruger Only Loads).... See Brian Pearce's article for some nice .45 Colt loads for the medium frame NV/flat tops.

29 Wheelgunner

Single-Sixer
My Vaqueros and NV's have been 100% reliable so far.

VaqureoGroup3.jpg

Knuckles

Buckeye
You cats are killin' me with all these Birdshead Vaqueros pics'............

........... makes me regret trading away the two .45's I had! :roll:

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
+1 On what Jim wrote. Here is the kicker. A hunter grip frame new is an added $100.00+. Find a Super hammer, a new trigger [why not], pins and all new part if you have a mind to. You can fit them or have them fit. I would have the trigger job done by a professional.
In .357 with a properly prepared barrel is a real shooter. Personally a Vaquero like that would never see a .38 Special. only .357 cased ammo. Whether home rolled or factory I would keep the chamber throats as clean as I could. Calthrop

EDK

Single-Sixer
Since I have the luxury of my own range down the hill from the house, I shoot every day. I have a bunch of Original Size VAQUEROS and have had ONE that needed the hammer and trigger replaced...I bought it used, had a trigger job done that had the parts re-hardened, and shot it a lot until it would not stay in full cock. A new hammer and trigger cured the problems and I'll send it back to the gunsmith with it's new siblings for trigger jobs...with full confidence I'll get a free trigger job after he examines the old parts. Mistakes can happen.

If you can wear out an Original Size VAQUERO, my hat is off to you. BUT I sure would not want to buy or reload that d*** much ammo for someone else! Clean the chambers after each trip to the range. Check the barrel for leading, lubricate and oil appropriately, and you're good to go.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
knuckles said:
You cats are killin' me with all these Birdshead Vaqueros pics'............

........... makes me regret trading away the two .45's I had! :roll:

Back around '03 when I bought my Vaquero, I had the choice of a birdshead, or several others. For my uses, the birdshead just won't work. Barrel was too short, and I didn't like the feel.

But now I wish I'd bought a couple of those, too. They sell pretty easy, and at decent prices. Seems like back then the gunshop I frequent had a hard time selling them.

Oh, to keep this post on topic, I still have the Vaquero I bought back then, and it still shoots great. No problems whatsoever, although I've done a fair bit of alterations to it to suit my fancy.

Daryl