Vaquero vs. Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

salsa

Bearcat
So I've got two DA S&W 357 revolvers (Models 60 w/3" barrel and 620 w/4" barrel) and have been seriously thinking about buying my first semi-auto and had decided on the Beretta 92FS. However, I recently bought my teenage daughter a Ruger Single that she loves to shoot and so do I now that I've spent some time at the range with it. I am now thinking about a SA 357 Vaquero or New Blackhawk instead of the Beretta - specifically a blued version with a 4.62 or 5.5 length barrel. I live in CA and have pretty much no chance at getting a CCW permit, so will use this gun for the range and home defense. I'm not interested in a larger caliber. I've done some research, but have not found the answers to the following questions - forgive me if they seem a bit naive or even stupid (I'm someone who doesn't believe that there are no stupid questions):

1. Besides adjustable sights on the Blackhawk, what are the main differences between the Vaquero and the New Blackhawk?
2. Why is the Vaquero more expensive than the New Blackhawk - especially considering that the New Blackhawk has adjustable sights?
3. Is there any particular advantage/disadvantage to between the 4.62" and 5.5" barrels?
4. Has anyone had experience with the Convertible Blackhawk and does having the option to shoot 9MM with this gun make sense?

Thank you for your help.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
To try & offer my thoughts;
(1) The adjustable sights are one difference, but if you are buying a new gun, the Blackhawk has a different mainframe than the New Vaquero. The New Vaquero is scaled back for the cowboy action crowd. It can not handle the "Ruger & T/C Loads" used by so many. There are two different Vaquero variations. One, called the Vaquero & one called the New Vaquero. Some folks call them Old Model Vaqueros & New Model Vaqueros. However, since Ruger has Blackhawks & New Model Blackhawks, most of us just use; Vaquero & New Vaquero. The EASIEST way to tell the difference in the Vaquero & New Vaquero, is by the serial number. Look only at the prefix. If it's a Vaquero, it'll have a 2 digit prefix. A new Vaquero will have a 3 digit prefix.
You didn't mention what caliber you were looking at, but it can make a difference in your choice & uses for it.
(2) You'd have to ask Ruger or your dealer why the price differences exist. For what I buy, they all seem to be about the same.
(3) Barrel length is a personal feeling. It's in how a gun balances in the hand & feels when shooting. But, generally, many prefer a shorter bbl for carry & fun, while many prefer a longer barrel for hunting. Personal choices.
(4) I own several Convertible Rugers. the 22/22 mag, the 9mm/357 mag, 45 acp/45 Colt. And I can shoot different calibers in some as well. Example; 38 spls in a 357.
Many feel the convertibles give them an option due to ammo availability. Different ammo will be different in each convertible. I have a few that shoot 9mm just fine & some where it's so-so in the accuracy dept. I reload, so my ammo options are more varied than being limited to factory offerings.
It all comes down to your choices again. If you have a readily supply of say 9mm ammo & want to use that, then a convertible is a great option. But, many folks buy a convertible & never use the option. I own several new extra cylinders purchased because the original owners never used them.

1. Besides adjustable sights on the Blackhawk, what are the main differences between the Vaquero and the New Blackhawk?
2. Why is the Vaquero more expensive than the New Blackhawk - especially considering that the New Blackhawk has adjustable sights?
3. Is there any particular advantage/disadvantage to between the 4.62" and 5.5" barrels?
4. Has anyone had experience with the Convertible Blackhawk and does having the option to shoot 9MM with this gun make sense?

All this is assuming you are speaking about Vaqueros as opposed to New Vaqueros

1. I believe Vaq's may have steel grip frames ( someone correct me if this is wrong)
2. Way More BlackHawks out there than Vaq. Vaq's are no longer produced, the used gun market seems to favor Vaq's with a slighter higher price.
3. I think 5.5 has better balance tho simply a preference thing!
4. Caliber choice is exactly that Choice. Make sense? To some Yes, other No, Take your pick.

salsa

Bearcat
I didn't know that there are two Vaquero's and unlike with the Blackhawk and "New" Blackhawk, the Ruger site only shows the "Vaquero." So thanks for pointing that out. Since I want a 357, it sounds like the "New Vaquero" is the way to go.

Jim Puke

Hunter
One thing to consider before you make your purchase. The Vaqueros can be a bit problematic in getting them to shoot to the sights, since they do not have adjustable sights. A lot of them do not shoot to the sights out of the box and they seem to be more sensitive to the shooters grip for shooting them accurately. Whereas, with the Blackhawk, you simply adjust the sights to have them shoot to point of aim. IMHO, the Blackhawk is a better choice for a first single action. YMMV

To read more about the Vaquero sight and grip issue, just Google..."Vaquero shoots low and left".

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree with Jim. For your first one,, I'd opt for the Blackhawk over the New Vaquero. More options,,, and if you hunt a bit,, the Convertible one can be had.

schloss

Single-Sixer
I'd honestly opt for the NV first. I tend to stick with just one load for any of my guns, and my NV has significantly better fit and finish than my NM Blackhawks. I've given my Blackhawks the free spin pawl treatment, but the NV comes set up with cylinders that align with the loading gate out of the box. Add to that the fact that they're much smoother, and just generally better looking, I'd go NV.

Bottom line, though, you'll have to decide if you want adjustable sights. If you're set on the 357, you won't be losing anything by going with a NV.

But decide what you want.

Jim Puke

Hunter
schloss said:
I tend to stick with just one load for any of my guns
I stick with one load also, but I have 2 Vaqueros in my safe that you nor anyone else can tailor a load that will make them shoot to the sights. The barrel is going to have to be turned on both of them.

I've given my Blackhawks the free spin pawl treatment, but the NV comes set up with cylinders that align with the loading gate out of the box.
The new Blackhawk cylinders align right out of the box, also.

old 41

Bearcat
Jim Luke said:
schloss said:
I stick with one load also, but I have 2 Vaqueros in my safe that you nor anyone else can tailor a load that will make them shoot to the sights. The barrel is going to have to be turned on both of them.

I've given my Blackhawks the free spin pawl treatment, but the NV comes set up with cylinders that align with the loading gate out of the box.

When did this change happen?

To the OP, I am no expert but would recommend an adjustable sighted gun and a caliber that has a lighter recoil as a first Singe Action.
I own 3 Rugers with fixed sights, a New Bearcat that shoots point of aim far better than expected. A New Model Vaquero 45, that shoots well to point of aim, and a 44 Magnum Vaquero with the Bisley grip frame that shoots several inches low at 25 yards and at least a foot low at 50. Had it out for the second time today with some 200 grain reloads, and they shoot about the same as 240 grain factory ammo first used. I am going to have to alter the front sight to correct this.

Jim Puke

Hunter
old 41 said:
Jim Luke said:
schloss said:

When did this change happen?

The last 2 new ones that I have bought, index when the gate is open.
Blackhawk 44 specials

As a matter of personal opinion I heartily recommend an adjustable-sighted gun. The Vaqueros are just too load-sensitive for all-round flexibility.

Also, to further confuse the nomenclature matter, Ruger has thrown us another curve. The current crop of these fixed-sighted revolvers are called simply "Vaqueros" by The Factory. They are on the "smaller" frame as mentioned elsewhere, and are essentially the same guns previously known as "New Vaqueros". Thanks a lot, Ruger. ;)

Joe S.

Hunter
i love em both! i have a 50th anniversary flattop in 357 with 4 5/8" barrel and i MUCH prefer the smaller frame over the larger frame of the standard Blackhawk.

it is the same size as my first 357 old model Blackhawk and that got me to likin the size...

but in 357, i doubt you will make a load (safely and intentionally anyway) that even the new model Vaquero and mid frame Blackhawk cannot handle...

be warned tho, these things are like potatoe chips. cant eat just one...

but it seems like you are already one your way to figuring that out. :D

John Taffin said it right when he said he has more than he needs, but not as many as he wants. Good luck! :)

salsa

Bearcat
So again, thank you all for your input. I just put a deposit on a New Model Blackhawk .357 with 4.62" barrel. Won't be able to pick it up till 4/27, but am really looking forward to getting it.

Yermo

Single-Sixer
Congratulations on a great choice. I have a Blackhawk in .357, albeit in a longer barrel configuration, 6.5", and it easily shoots 1.5" groups at 25 yards off-hand. Just one more piece of advice, in my experience, single actions work best with heaviest (for caliber) bullets. For the .357 Mag go with the 158 gr or 180 gr loads.