Vaquero frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

martyj

Blackhawk
Did ruger make a vaquero with the appearance of a case hardened frame?
The guy at the gun show didnt think he had one and thought the bluing came off so he marked it down 25 bucks.

Yup. The original "large frame" Vaqueros had a fake "color case hardened" surface treatment. According to some reports, it was not very durable. Mine is OK, but it doesn't get hard service.

D:

gak

Buckeye
Until recently, the New Vaquero (mid frame) introduced a few years ago also had a case hardened look. All new production now is just blued.

flatgate

Hawkeye
268537866.jpg

Early examples of Ruger's Vaquero and New Vaquero with both sporting the "Case Colored" finish.

flatgate

caryc

Hawkeye
The finish can be dulled down a good bit by over zealous cleaning with anything near abrasive. Lots of the old Vaqueros just appear to have a gray finish like this boring old gun here, but the grips do give it some zip.

621e.jpg

martyj

Blackhawk
No thought about if and wasn't sure what they sold for. He wanted 420 (nib) for it didn't seem like a bad deal.
It was about identical to the one flatgate posted with the black grips finish and all

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
martyj":1bpx7dey said:
No thought about if and wasn't sure what they sold for. He wanted 420 (nib) for it didn't seem like a bad deal.
It was about identical to the one flatgate posted with the black grips finish and all

What caliber was it?

martyj

Blackhawk
45 long colt with black grips. It was pretty much identical to the on flatgate posted.
I was just looking for something to trade my sp101 for.