VA Letter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
VA saved my life last month I was on deaths door two hours from meeting my maker only complaint I have is they can't cure cancer, love the VA and all that work for them!!!
Glad to hear it!
I worked at the San Francisco VA for most of my working life found most of the medical and nursing staff to be good, caring people. I miss them. And the veterans...

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I just quit last year being a county VSO veterans service officer. So the deal with the Navy guys getting agent orange cancer presumption has been fought for years. It is now approved. The va fought it and lost but they delayed it until all the vets were on Medicare. Since the VA is the last payer they won't have to pay as much for any care. Do go talk to your local VSO from the county, legion, VFW whatever. They may be able to file a claim for monthly compensation for something as minor as hearing loss. There are essentially 2 sections to the VA: compensation and medical. The vsos don't work for the VA they work for you and free. I was a paid county employee. Don't pass up free hearing aids and such. I could get some 1 time grants through the state for a couple thousand for just about anyone whos a vet for dental based on income for instance. Lots of federal and local freebies for veterans available. Many states free hunting fishing licenses state park passes etc. Please go talk to a VSO!

dweis

Blackhawk
No letter here, but I've never bothered with the VA for anything so I don't expect to get one.
Me too. When I mustered out in '69 I had been under USN medial care for a wound. Upon discharge I went to the Philadelphia VA hospital to check out the scene. It was ugly, smelly, and there were a lot of vets waiting for treatment that I spoke with, and they all niched and moaned about the care. So I did not apply for VA benefits. I read that the VA hospitals are better now, but being on Medicare makes me uninterested.

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
I get what some of you are saying, and I'm thankful you are getting the health care you deserve from the VA. However, freeies, fiddle sticks, I'm retired but still do business with my partner form FL. I sent uncle, federal and state some pretty damn big tax checks in April. Somebody is paying for all these freeies. Way back when I thought the VA might be a good health care option/program I was offered a whooping $400.00 for my agent orange poising. No thanks it was and is Medicare and Blue Cross Blue Shield with a drug plan for me. the VA center in Atlanta needs to emptied out and start over. They were more concerned with a 5 million dollar parking deck than providing care for the Vets.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Totally understand the not going for med care if you're on Medicare. But what if they gave you a check for say $200 month For a service connected hearing loss? Most states, counties give disabled veterans a big property tax break on their house on top of your old age homestead exemption too. I got a friend 40 percent off his property taxes and they refunded him back 3 years under ND state law so he got $3000 to go buy a few new guns. Every vet needs to do a review with a VSO. Remember they don't work for the VA. Heck if nothing else pick up the free headstone application and fill it out so you can pick your own symbols and writing. Then when you die someone can send it in and get your free stone delivered to whatever funeral home you put on the form. Easy peasy. Ask about any free hunts for vets while you're at it.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I am envious of folks who have a VSO office that truly works for Vets. I gave up. They win.
If you have a crappy regional or county VSO call the American legion or DAV or VFW or go to one in another town. They will all tell you what's available and you don't have to be a member of their organization usually. Heck if I was still in my ND office I'd have offered to run you through to see what we could do! It's seldom I couldn't find something. I showed up on one guys doorstep with a frozen turkey and a basket of other goodies at Thanksgiving and said thank you for your service. A local bank donated a bunch of thanksgiving baskets and I got to just have fun giving them away to any vets I knew.

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
Totally understand the not going for med care if you're on Medicare. But what if they gave you a check for say $200 month For a service connected hearing loss? Most states, counties give disabled veterans a big property tax break on their house on top of your old age homestead exemption too. I got a friend 40 percent off his property taxes and they refunded him back 3 years under ND state law so he got $3000 to go buy a few new guns. Every vet needs to do a review with a VSO. Remember they don't work for the VA. Heck if nothing else pick up the free headstone application and fill it out so you can pick your own symbols and writing. Then when you die someone can send it in and get your free stone delivered to whatever funeral home you put on the form. Easy peasy. Ask about any free hunts for vets while you're at it.
Well yugo fire protoolman, you convinced me to search out a VSO. PM me and I'll give you my location, I need a strong Man to rep for me. Don't want no damn grave stone, how about a cheap urn.

I'm pissed off about trying to keep ahead of the run out of money program, that we are all facing in one way or another, paying taxes on retirement and what business I do. After years of paying my taxes !!! I feel I'm full up. Like I said I'm still keeping busy dialing for dollars, I want a new truck and guns and I'm awfully thankful for my station in life.

Conman

Bearcat
Yep, I got a letter. I ignore all disability items as my health isn't bad for a person their late 80's. I went to SEA and got out alive. Any money for disability needs to go to anyone who is disabled.

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
If you have a crappy regional or county VSO call the American legion or DAV or VFW or go to one in another town. They will all tell you what's available and you don't have to be a member of their organization usually. Heck if I was still in my ND office I'd have offered to run you through to see what we could do! It's seldom I couldn't find something. I showed up on one guys doorstep with a frozen turkey and a basket of other goodies at Thanksgiving and said thank you for your service. A local bank donated a bunch of thanksgiving baskets and I got to just have fun giving them away to any vets I knew.
Well, can we members and friends hire you out for a fee to rep for us.? You are they only one I have ever encountered or heard of doing these things, nor have I ever explored any of the VA programs. When I walked out of there years ago I was done period. I was assigned a hostel black check-in person, in person or by phone, a doctor from Pakistan that could barely speak English. I said to myself WTF am I doing here, run for your life....

epags

Single-Sixer
Me too. When I mustered out in '69 I had been under USN medial care for a wound. Upon discharge I went to the Philadelphia VA hospital to check out the scene. It was ugly, smelly, and there were a lot of vets waiting for treatment that I spoke with, and they all niched and moaned about the care. So I did not apply for VA benefits. I read that the VA hospitals are better now, but being on Medicare makes me uninterested.
You know you are talking about your experiences 54 years ago.....maybe something has changed?

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
Yep, I got a letter. I ignore all disability items as my health isn't bad for a person their late 80's. I went to SEA and got out alive. Any money for disability needs to go to anyone who is disabled.
You are absolutely dead on Sir, it should. As much as I Rosie O'Donnell about things if I were to get any money from the VA at this point in my life, I'd give it to Wounded Warriors or Tunnels. I've had the pleasure of meeting some of those good Men and Ladies, I truly believe I've seen true disability...

dweis

Blackhawk
You know you are talking about your experiences 54 years ago.....maybe something has changed?
Yes I was stating a past opinion based upon then current experience. I do not feel the same way abou that the VA today. But no pint in my applying for benefits at 81.

epags

Single-Sixer
Yes I was stating a past opinion based upon then current experience. I do not feel the same way abou that the VA today. But no pint in my applying for benefits at 81.
:). I applied for an Agent Orange - hypertension claim and at the time I was 83, 6 months short of 84. It was approved. Why you askl, because if I die from a stroke due to hypertension and it is documented by VA, my spouse is entitled to a VA (non-taxable) monthly stipend. It is not all about us but sometimes about our loved ones.

If you are not married and if you don't intend to get married, please forget what I have posted.

On the other hand, I must add, as a prior Retired Activities Office volunteer.....I had a very senior and fairly frail individual come in, he has been in and out of the hospital and he wanted to marry the nurse (several years younger) who has been caring for him.

Who am I to judge. Maybe she truely loved him and was not just thinking about the surviving spouse benefits. :rolleyes: Opps, that is judging.

My point, I think, is that people can get married regardless of how old they are for many reasons.

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
" I applied for an Agent Orange - hypertension claim and at the time I was 83, 6 months short of 84. It was approved. Why you askl, because if I die from a stroke due to hypertension and it is documented by VA, my spouse is entitled to a VA (non-taxable) monthly stipend. It is not all about us but sometimes about our loved ones."

Amen Brother. While my wife and I were paying a portion of the assisted living care for our Mothers went through....The VA benefits from their Veteran husbands kicked in and sure help out our money out flow. We were at the stage in life were we needed to be putting dollars away for today.

We were blessed how things worked out, two more Angles in Heaven, These two Mothers were happy fun people, the countless times we just laughed and laughed and laughed about things....

Just my personal opinion, but vets earned every benefit they get.
I get what some of you are saying, and I'm thankful you are getting the health care you deserve from the VA. However, freeies, fiddle sticks, I'm retired but still do business with my partner form FL. I sent uncle, federal and state some pretty damn big tax checks in April. Somebody is paying for all these freeies. Way back when I thought the VA might be a good health care option/program I was offered a whooping $400.00 for my agent orange poising. No thanks it was and is Medicare and Blue Cross Blue Shield with a drug plan for me. the VA center in Atlanta needs to emptied out and start over. They were more concerned with a 5 million dollar parking deck than providing care for the Vets.

Now this is just my opinion, but vets earned every benefit to which they are eligible. And yes, most folks pay taxes. But, unless I'm way off in my math, most folks never do a day of governemnt service, much less end up dealing with health issues from that service later in life.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Well if'n I was truly on my last legs I think I'd marry a young'un so she could get the extended bennies. But only if they were deserved...sounds good, huh? To those who thumb their nose at the VA....having had more than a few friends pass from what happened in the SEA and other "wars".... I can say if there is ANY benefit available to you...apply and accept it...if not for you but your survivors or even if you give it away to those who may really deserve more. With all I have been exposed to through the years I would love the benefits no matter how large or small... I say.... To all... who earned those benefits should seek them And use them!

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
"I can say if there is ANY benefit available to you...apply and accept it...if not for you but your survivors or even if you give it away to those who may really deserve more. "

Skeet I couldn't agree with you more.

I do have a question to the VSOs or you Vets that have applied and are receiving some benefits. Did they, or were you required to provide your finical information to them. and if so was it tied to your benefit amount.

Just asking.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
There are benefits tied to your financial situation but you don't have to apply for them. Benefits connected to service related disability are not connected to your means. So no and remember the VSO is not working for the VA he's paid by whatever group he's with and works for you. If you get a disability check for bad hearing you can just get the compensation check . You don't have to go to the VA hospital. Under the new community care you might even be able to go to your doctor and say bill it to the VA.