Letter of Authenticity

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
Colleagues: I am considering a Letter of Authenticity for some of my Ruger revolvers. Supposedly they were part of a special/limited production run for Acusport and/or Lipsey's.

Question: is there a separate letter for each firearm identified on the form? Or, does one letter include all the firearms identified on the form?

Thanks,

For those Not-In-The-Know, the form for requesting a letter of authenticity is found here:
https://ruger.com/pdf/letterOfAuthenticity.pdf

C3Ranger

Bearcat
At a cost of $10 per letter, it is well worth having, even if your Ruger is not collectible, rare or even slightly unusual.

gnappi

Blackhawk
I don't think that Ruger special builds for distributor's like Lipsey's have any special collector interest, but certain models that Ruger "should" have made are certainly desirable.

A letter from Ruger is pretty much meaningless for them and don't add a whit more interest or value to these guns, IMO that is but for ten buckazoids it couldn't hurt.

"...For those Not-In-The-Know, the form for requesting a letter of authenticity is found here:
https://ruger.com/pdf/letterOfAuthenticity.pdf"

Using this letter you can designate up to 6 different firearms and just send $10 per request with it. You can also attach a letter if you have specific questions that you would like to see if Ruger has any info about them, just make sure you reference the question to the gun. This is a good form to use if you have a lot of Rugers and want to catch up on getting LOA's for them.

I beg to differ a bit on doing a LOA for a distributor/special/limited model. The LOA will give you the info about it which is a help if you ever decide to sell it. That way you can prove that it came out of the Ruger factory in that configuration, in a limited quantity, and wasn't a non Ruger "customized" firearm.

contender

Ruger Guru
To answer the OP's questions.

Each gun will get a separate letter. Each letter will cost $10.00. The form you fill out is very simple, and can have (6) guns per request on the page. Ruger asks for;
Firearm Type; (check one of 4 boxes,)
Model marked on Firearm, if any;
Serial number;
Caliber;
Additional features

When the letter is done, they currently give you the following; Model info; (such as BKH-36) The month & year it was built, the month & year it was shipped, and the location it was shipped to.

They occasionally list a few details if it's easily found in their information.

But I do disagree with gnappi where he says; "don't add a whit more interest or value to these guns," ! To collectors,, quite often, just defining the model can mean a LOT of difference in value. Example; If a person wants to buy a gun, such as an Old Model, .41 magnum Blackhawk, with a brass frame,, (these are quite rare,) the letter showing the model "BKH-41B" is MUCH more valuable than a "BKH-41". To a collector a BKH-41 is worth about $950.00 while a BKH-41B is worth about $5500.00.That makes a $10 letter worth about $4500.

Now I used an extreme example here,, but it proves a point. Sometimes the $10 letter can be well worth it.

I had a gentleman who came to the OGCA/ROCS show in 2022. He & I discussed his OM .357 that he said had a brass grip frame. I strongly suggested he get the $10 letter. In 2023,, he came back to the show, came directly to me, and showed me pictures of his gun AND his letter. It lettered as a brass framed gun, AND it was also a bit later that the current records we collectors have for them. The letter not only confirmed the gun shipped as a brass frame,, but added to the information base we collectors use to help folks with their guns.

Once you get the letter(s) if there is a gun that was a limited production run for a distributor,, sometimes we can find the details on that, and help a person know more about their guns. Ruger doesn't release production numbers,, but sometimes we've been able to get information from the distributors on some models as to how many they ordered. If a distributor,, say,, Lipsey's orders a run of a model of 500 guns. Ruger will often run a small percentage of guns beyond that number in case of a return, a defect or whatever. So there may be 550 of those guns built.

In short,, getting the $10 letter is often a good idea,, AND it does add a little to many of us even if the model isn't rare or collectable.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I don't think that Ruger special builds for distributor's like Lipsey's have any special collector interest, but certain models that Ruger "should" have made are certainly desirable.

A letter from Ruger is pretty much meaningless for them and don't add a whit more interest or value to these guns, IMO that is but for ten buckazoids it couldn't hurt.
Your wrong about some of the special distributor models not having any collector interest, ie} New Model Flattops and their many variations.
Nobody say's if you own a Ruger you need to get a letter. But like you hinted, what's ten bucks. :unsure:
Terry

eveled

Hawkeye
Have you guys seen this on Lypsey's site?

Click on your gun and it will give you a certificate of authenticity.
IMG_6310.jpeg

gnappi

Blackhawk
Have you guys seen this on Lypsey's site?

Click on your gun and it will give you a certificate of authenticity.
View attachment 41348
Seems more practical than fussing over a Ruger letterhead.

contender

Ruger Guru
I seriously doubt gnappi is too cheap. BUT,,
"No, some just don't obsess over minutiae." is a bit different. I've often bought rare Rugers because some considered the details as minutiae. If you have a gun that's rare, desirable, or whatever,, or you suspect has been modified,, a letter can do a lot.

Personally, I have lettered all my Rugers. I consider it cheap when I can get the direct info on them,, and especially when they turn out to be a valuable model.

I seriously doubt gnappi is too cheap. BUT,,
"No, some just don't obsess over minutiae." is a bit different. I've often bought rare Rugers because some considered the details as minutiae. If you have a gun that's rare, desirable, or whatever,, or you suspect has been modified,, a letter can do a lot.

Personally, I have lettered all my Rugers. I consider it cheap when I can get the direct info on them,, and especially when they turn out to be a valuable model.
Out of curiosity, what was said concerning the Blackhawk with the 'special' rear sight?