USMC Shooter / Trying to decide on rifle options.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trueX

Bearcat
Hello all, first post here and want to say this seems like a very informative and helpful board to be on. I am kind of at a stand still on what to do right now. First off I am an Ex-USMC Shooter. Joined in 98 and did 2 terms. Shot expert every year (200,300,500,800,1000 yards w the M16A2 & iron sights)and was a PMI for awhile as my "B" billet when I became and NCO. Now I know the M16A2 is not really "the" rifle you want to hunt with as its only a .223 round and the max effective range is only listed as 300 yards (bullcrap) much less be shooting at distances ideally past 500 yards (yes 800-1000) is possible but it took lots of math, and shot plotting to get on target. Anyhow ive been out since 2006 and have started shooting again as it seems to come natural to me and a late turn of events have opened up some options for me and im honestly just not sure what to do.

I have an abundance of firearms that I will list below just for S&G's but my father WON a 7mm Rem Mag (.284) w a muzzle break, bi-pod and a Leupold scope in a freaking $20 RAFFLE! :!: Needless to say its his new favorite gun as the thing is a MONSTER. At about 375-400 yards it damn near tore a coyote in half shooting 150gr soft points...anyhow this now has left me with the option of using 1 of 2 other guns that used to be his primary ones.

I had originally wanted to buy a .308 as I like shooting long distances, 2-400 yards for hunting, and 500-800 yards at the range...or at least knowing the weaponry will do so as long as I perform correctly :)

I own a Semi-Auto Marlin .22LR that I shoot Remington Viper 36gr FMJ's
Marlin Bolt Action .22WMR shooting 40gr CCI Maxi-Mag Hollow Points
Remington Bolt Action .223 shooting 45gr JHP's
An old .243 that I don't even shoot enough to know much about it (it stays in the closet)

Now here is where my problem comes in. With him using his 7mag full time. That leaves his Semi-Auto Winchester .270 shooting 130gr FMJ's OR his Bolt Action Ruger M77 .280 Rem that shoots (the now silver cased) 140gr Winchester Super-X FMJ's.

From what I read the .280 can do everything the 7mag can for the most part and with less recoil..However I haven't shot them back to back to really compare. The .270 I know is a tried and true rifle that has stood the test of time but the more I read the .280 seems to bridge the gap between the .270 and the .284 which is pretty much what I am looking for. Here are my pro's and con's and my goals, you guys tell me what you would go with.

Ruger M77 .280 Rem - S/N: 772-41013 ("22" barrel)
Pros: (1)I feel bolt action rifles are more accurate.
(2) The .280 already has a muzzle break and a very nice Leupold scope on it (4-12x power & image sharpening @ 50,60,75,100,150,200,300,500 & 1000 yards on the muzzle end)
(3) The .280 has a nice walnut finish I like and feels more comfortable to hold, and has a sling on it.

I want to be shooting approx 400(+/- 25) yards. We have a chicken farm and coyotes are out of control here and we have been given free reign to shoot them 24/7/365. We see them all the time down by our ponds and down in our deer plots so I want to be able to either put a bi-pod on and shoot from the prone, or rest on the fence surrounding our house and shoot them at range. I know both the .270 and .280 can reach those distances but every little bit helps hence me again leaning towards the .280. This will be my whitetail gun, elk gun and target gun all in one. And if anyone is thinking "well if you have it dead on at 400 yards, "whatcha gonna do when you need to shoot a raccoon or something similar at 50-100 yards" Well that's what the Marlin 22WMR is for :)

Cons: (1) The only real con I can think of is finding ammo is harder. I think only Federal, Winchester, Nosler and HSM offer .280 rounds (just going off memory, could be totally off) where as finding .270 ammo is a breeze and a lot cheaper.

Remington .270 Semi Auto
Pros: (1) Ammo is easier to find and cheaper when not reloading.
(sadly not many other pros I can think of)

Cons: (1) Has no muzzle break (not required I know)
(2) Has a cheaper Nikon scope (yes I know I could just switch them)
(3) Has no sling (again, I know I can use the one from the .280)
(4) Is semi auto vs bolt action which I feel is less accurate.

So outside of an ammunition situation, what reason's would I have to NOT use the Ruger M77 .280 Rem, shooting Winchester Super-X 140gr Power-Points for small animals/coyotes/whitetail.

From all the info I can gather the Ruger M77 .280 is a heck of a rifle, and with the muzzle break already on it, nice quality optics..seems almost a no brainer?

Ruger # 1 Guy

Bearcat
That may be why no one has responed to him, if he is for real he should know what EX Marine means, or maybe he really is an X.
USMC
WV Detachment

trueX

Bearcat
No I didn't forget the ole sayin "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" And I must say if someone is not getting responses due to leaving out a simple "sayin" ...wow. Thought real shooters would stick together a bit more than that...maybe yall are just bustin my balls, I dunno :/

IF im for real? ... Enlisted Dec 11 1998, MCRD San Diego, Golf Co, Plt 2029. Then to Pendelton for SOI. Stationed in NC April 99 then deployed to Frankfurt Germany, Okinawa & Iwakuni Japan, Incirlik Turkey, Gander Canada, Rota Spain, PSAB (Prince Sultan Air Base) in Riyadh Saudi Arabia & Nellis AFB. Honorable Discharge (EAS) Jan 3, 2006 w plenty of ribbons to show for it on the dress blues.

Please dont question my service to country again, as it is a huge disrespect to most.

Semper Fi :)

EDIT: O and so far ive gone through a box of the .280 140gr shells so far today and im REALLY liking it. Took it apart, cleaned the crap outta it (had so much carbon lol) and now it slides like a dream and I SO love the tang safety :) Pretty sure the .280 is gonna be my primary unless I somehow come up w the money to build a custom .308 (doubtful)

trueX

Bearcat
Ruger # 1 Guy said:
if he is for real he should know what EX Marine means

Im sorry my lack of proper terminology has offended you, in future posts I guess I will say "Prior Service" or "Ex Military"...basically you knew what I was saying and just wanted to be a @$$ about it :/

trueX

Bearcat
6gun said:
TrueX, Thanks for your service to the USA.

Thank you sir for the kind words, hopefully there are more like you around here :) (maybe im just a bit pissy today lol)

427mach1

Blackhawk
While both are very fine calibers, I would go with the .280. I believe the bolt action generally to be more accurate than the semi-auto. Regarding your concern about ammo - If you are serious about shooting long distances, you need to be reloading to find the right combination anyway. It sounds like you have already taken a liking to the .280, too.

Ruger # 1 Guy

Bearcat
Ok,
So I guess you were around some, things may have changed since the 50's and 60's, It was pounded into us that there were only two kinds of Marines, Former Marines and Ex Marines, and that no body, just no body wants to be an Ex Marine, and that no real Marine or former Marine would want to hang with a Ex Marine.

Maybe it was a mistake as I don't know anyone that would be proud to use that term.

Guess maybe you just didn't get the proper learnin, out west, should have spent more time down south in the swamps, let a few snakes bite ya, that would be someton you would not forget.
:D :lol:
Semper Fi.

Leatherneck

Bearcat
I can't respond to your rifle question. I haven't handled either.
I just wanted to say that you have to remember, anyone can be anything on the internet. One little slip will lead people to question your claim.

Semper Fi

mattsbox99

Hunter
facepalm.

What are you asking us?

Why do you want to use a .280 for coyotes when you have a .223?

I have a .280 and while I reload, ammunition is always on the shelf around here. If you're concerned about availability you can always order it, and since you have a load that works already there is no reason not to lay in a little supply.

CoyoteDown

Bearcat
trueX,

For open country shooting it's hard to beat the sub 30 caliber options. Mine is a 27 caliber carbine Mini however the M77 is a classy choice; and yes I am a Ruger Guy - just love'em.
I'm a little prejudice towards the carbine mostly because it's easier for me carry in the mountains or woods. However to your point the .280 is a fine choice for the thin skin game youre talking about at nearly any reasonable range out to maybe 600 yds or so. Go get'em Marine.
The question about your service rankled me alot. I put in 20+ years with the Navy and that comment raised my hackles too. Folks who make those kind of statements are living in a dream world of the past - maybe just jealous-I don't know.
Any way the M77 in .280 will serve you well.
I am glad you and I are on the same side and real proud too.
Got any pics?

Ruger # 1 Guy

Bearcat
Guess times are really a changein, and I'm to old school to change with them, back in my day it was the way I said it was. I see that now a days it's ok to be a X USMC, hell now a days even the Boy Scouts are, never mind, I cant seem to handel this kind of stuff so I'm done with this and out a here.

My take on the 'X' thing... truex don't get too bent on the responses.... gentle nudges can often seem like a slap on the internet. As I recall... my father, who is one of the Chosin Few never had a problem being an 'ex-Marine' as I was growing up...now that he is over 80 years old it is an issue with him..... You just never know about them old Marines.... I had a customer who's house I went to for over 20 years... little meek mild skinny guy who was an artist and very liberal.... found out a few years ago he was a Marine on Okinawa and other pacific Islands when they were not a tropical paradise.

dsmithla

Bearcat
trueX said:
Ruger # 1 Guy said:
if he is for real he should know what EX Marine means

Im sorry my lack of proper terminology has offended you, in future posts I guess I will say "Prior Service" or "Ex Military"...basically you knew what I was saying and just wanted to be a @$$ about it :/

You could say former Marine, currently inactive, but that's so much to type, isn't it? :wink:

I thought the 280 Remington was basically a long cased 7mm-08? But even if it is, if you like shooting it, so what if it can't do everything a 7mm Mag can?

Semper Fi.

dan3

Bearcat
Thanks for your service!
I'd go with the .280 its a great cartridge. It should handle all your needs.
As far as the "EX"... don't worry about it. I was NAVY '69 - '75 so I understand you "misguided children". :lol:
Semper Fi Marine.

Hello TrueX - my father was in the marines too - thank you for your service!

I can't comment on the Ruger or the 270 Win vs the 280 Rem debate, but I do have some insight into the Remington Semi Autos. If you do plan on acquiring the Remington, only do so if it is a 7400 or newer model. The 742 and earlier models had problems with the heat treating of the receivers which led to galling and chatter where the bolt rides back and forth. That damage will cause the rifle to eventually have problems cycling reliably. Some gunsmiths can repair the damage, but it can get expensive quickly. My Dad has a 740 in 30-06 that's effectively a single shot right now.