Universal crimping die -production?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
As part of the thread on crimping I posted photos of a univeral die my dad built back in the 1970's. After talking with some very knowledgeable members it appears this isn't offered commercially. Dad just thought it up way back when and doesn't remember ever seeing one like it. That said, who knows if we were the first to build one....more importantly, who cares.

Anyways, some of you expressed interest in buying this set-up. I spoke with dad over the weekend and he's willing to make them. Much of our discussion centered around price points. While these dies aren't extremely labor intensive they do take time. But before I get to cost let me rehash how they work.

The die and plug are all steel and employ a hardened tool steel crimping insert:

CrimpDie1_zps41c9905b.jpg

Insert fully installed:

CrimpDie2_zps84fed286.jpg

View from the bottom of the die:

CrimpDie3_zpsb680c390.jpg

It's very easy to use. Just simply remove the top, drop in the sleeve, run the plug down until it sets the collar against the lip, and scew it into the press. The die still needs to be adjusted so the crimp occurs at full downstroke.

Two 0.510" crimp inserts (roll crimp on the left, taper crimp on the right):

CrimpDie4_zpsdbf24d03.jpg

Close-up of the 0.510" roll crimp:

CrimpDie5_zpsa82cb2d1.jpg

Close-up of the 0.510" taper crimp:

CrimpDie6_zpsdbeb11ff.jpg

Again, these are all steel and the inserts are fully hardened. Some of ours have been used for decades and they don't wear out.

Since we don't have CNC machinery it does take time to produce them. To make us whole, and turn a little profit, we're looking to price them as follows:

[*]Main die with one insert (your choice of caliber and crimp type) - $85

[*]Additional inserts, taper or roll, any caliber from 22 - 510 - $15 each

[*]Shipping will likely be well under $5

Before we proceed I need to know what folks think of the cost. We're not looking to get rich on these but do need to make it worth our time.

You can either respond to this post or drop me a line at [email protected]. Once I get a feel for the level of interest I'll create an order form on http://www.singleactions.com.

Sax.45

Single-Sixer
Hi Lee, I am interested in the main die with roll crimp insert for the .401 powermag.

dougader

Hunter
Just a thought on shipping, Lee. Last time I sent something out in the USPS small flat rate box I was surprised to see that it had gone up to nearly $6, but includes the tracking confirmation in the price now.

It's a quality die, for sure. Anything the two Lee Martins make is top drawer.

snappy

Single-Sixer
These look very nice. My $$ is tight right now but I would like to purchase one in the future if a run is made available.

It would be slick if the crimp inserts were reversible ie roll on one side and taper on the other for each given caliber.

Thanks for this post Lee. You and your Dad do some really neat stuff. It's nice to see.