Unconverting an Old Model Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

princeout

Blackhawk
I picked up a converted Old Model Blackhawk midframe with no box and no parts kit. I've only had one other converted OM and when I tried to put it back to original, with the addition of one of David Clements' OM Bisley style hammers, I managed to break the 1/2 cock notch right off the bat. I solved that problem by dropping it off with Alan Harton for a bit of welding along with some other "remodeling" work.

Anyway, now I have a second converted OM and I'd like to install another Clements Bisley style hammer. My question concerns what other parts will be needed to return it to original functionality. Seems like there are seven parts that are changed, but I can't locate my Kuhnhasen book to look at the diagrams. Here's what I'm thinking:

Hammer - Clements OM Bisley style hammer for XR-3 or XR3-RED grip
Trigger - Clements OM style trigger
Base Pin - Kelye's OM Belt Mtn base pin
Pawl - I think, but am not sure, that the NM pawl is close with fitting
Cylinder latch - this part I don't have any idea if a NM part is even close

What other parts are needed?
Can this be done without having to find and buy a complete original parts set from another .357 OM? Hate to buy an old BH hammer just to turn around and buy a Clements' Bisley. Same with the trigger and base pin.

Anyone try this before that can steer me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Tim

princeout

Blackhawk
Thanks Eric. I'm not trying to get a parts set, I'm just trying to figure out what parts I would need to get if I were to get a Clements OM trigger and hammer along with a Belt Mountain base pin. I'd rather not buy a complete parts set and end up with an extra original OM trigger, hammer and base pin and then turn around and replace them with aftermarket parts. When I get time, I'll have to take an uncoverted and a converted OM apart and compare.

Anyone out there try to unconvert one using aftermarket goodies?
Thanks,
Tim

contender

Ruger Guru
Good condition, OM parts (trigger, hammer, & base pins) are in demand. If you have a set, and replace them with aftermarket ones, you can sell them.

princeout

Blackhawk
Good condition, OM parts (trigger, hammer, & base pins) are in demand. If you have a set, and replace them with aftermarket ones, you can sell them.

Good point. I'm just trying to see if I can assemble what I need without the extra step. May not be able to.
Tim

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'd not hesitate to "piece together" a group of parts in an attempt to save a few bucks.

As you know it's advisable to use extra caution when "fitting" the hammer assembly since a "bind" can occur :roll:

flatgate

princeout

Blackhawk
Flatgate -
Learned about that "bind" the hard way. Alan welded up the Clements' OM Bisley hammer that I snapped off on my first OM reassembly. Haven't had the nerve to take another one apart yet!
Thanks,
Tim