U.S. Mark II Navy Seal Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
When I displayed U.S. Mark I and Mark II's at the show in Dallas Texas I discovered something about two of the guns. Listed as a KMK512B these guns were an 84 gun over-run and sold to RCA members. These were a stainless gun with a black phosphate finish. Also the front sight was narrowed for fitting silencers. The other gun listed as a KMK512N the N indicating it was actually shipped to the arm forces. I only know of two in private collections and that owner is going to confirm what front sight his gun has. I think these KMK521N guns were actually set up for the use of a silencer. Here are the pics.

Notice the type of screw holding the front sight.

The KMK512N pictured on left has a set screw and no ramp on rear of sight. Where the sight KMK512B pictured right has a standard screw and ramp on rear of sight.

Upper barrel is KMK512N and lower barrel KMK512B

The other item between the two is the KMK512N is actually stamped U.S. on the bottom of the barrel just in front of the grip frame where the over-run guns were never stamped U.S.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Thanks Ty, Pics are not the best but I had to use an old camera.I will be using this display at the WAC gun show next weekend. And then possibly at the Ruger show next year and most likely retire it for a few years. I have been working on the Ruger Lite display for T town. I have about 10 different variations of those.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
not sure Rod. According to the RCA letter with the gun they narrowed the front sight " qote" special narrow base front sight" so a silencer could be attached. Maybe Chad cal enlighten us on it. I did do some reaserch on silencers and not all are attached by threads. Some are a push and turn. I would think that is why there is no ramp on the rear of the sight.

chet15

Hawkeye
One thing about it, putting a silencer on the KMK512N with that type of ramp would make a more positive connection with its larger flat at the rear of the base, than you would get from the KMK512B type of front sight base. This also gives more credence to the circumstances surrounding the existence of the KMK512B group.
Rick...PM sent.
Chet15

kwill

Bearcat
This is a twist on adapter that allows a suppressor to be screwed on:
adapter_ruger_mk2_zps6f265a28.jpg

I'm not sure that this is exactly what was used with the Ruger KMK-512N pistols but it would have been similar.

fredrx

Single-Sixer
Rick - Maybe a road trip to the Navy Seal Museum in Fort Pierce, FL will solve the mystery. Who knows, they may even have one on display. You could also try to contact them and see if they can put you in touch with someone who actually knows how they used these guns but, with the passage of time, that 'tribal knowledge' may already be lost.

kwill

Bearcat
I've checked with the SEAL Museum. I have several handguns that letter to the SEALs about which they know nothing, including these Rugers. They wanted me to donate them to the museum.

Tilt

Single-Sixer
I love these pistols and would really love to add one to the collection. I had a chance about 8 months ago, but someone had deeper pockets than I did at the time.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Tilt said:
I love these pistols and would really love to add one to the collection. I had a chance about 8 months ago, but someone had deeper pockets than I did at the time.

Out of curiosity how much did it sell for?