Twist Rate in Pistol 1-20 Rifle 1-38 44 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruber

Single-Sixer
I have loads for carbines and loads for revolvers.

General purpose loads (240gr) seem to crossover well. All the carbines I've shot seem to be a bit persnickety anyway so twist rate really is an afterthought. But i'm not running 300gr bullets down my carbine's barrel (though I keep wanting to try it again). I had some keyholing with long jacketed bullets out of a carbine, but I have a plan to revisit heavy loads for the carbine with hardcast. Interestingly, even though the bullets keyholed, they were fairly accurate still out to 100 yards... I've been kinda interested in what a tumbling 300gr jacketed bullet would do to a hog :?

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Ruber said:
I have loads for carbines and loads for revolvers.

General purpose loads (240gr) seem to crossover well. All the carbines I've shot seem to be a bit persnickety anyway so twist rate really is an afterthought. But i'm not running 300gr bullets down my carbine's barrel (though I keep wanting to try it again). I had some keyholing with long jacketed bullets out of a carbine, but I have a plan to revisit heavy loads for the carbine with hardcast. Interestingly, even though the bullets keyholed, they were fairly accurate still out to 100 yards... I've been kinda interested in what a tumbling 300gr jacketed bullet would do to a hog :?

I have had that problem with my 458 with undersized bullets (my trying to save rejects). I can't believe they even hit the paper, but they printed perfect sideways profiles - you could even see the lube grooves, right where it was aimed...

I have shot the Lee 310 44 cal bullet in a 94 trapper carbine (1-38" twist) with no trouble but have not tried jacketed slugs.

captainkirk

Ruber

Single-Sixer
captainkirk said:
I have shot the Lee 310 44 cal bullet in a 94 trapper carbine (1-38" twist) with no trouble but have not tried jacketed slugs.

Ya, that's what I'm gonna try next. Mind me asking what powder you used?

Thanks,

Ruber

captainkirk

Blackhawk
It has been a while, but I think they were light loads with Unique. I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I'll try and find it this evening. I did not use gas checks and they were lubed with Lee Alox.

captainkirk

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I just don't understand that even to this day there are manufacturers (Hello Marlin) that insist on such slow twist rates from .44 carbines. Just makes no sense to me at all.

But to answer the question...no you won't have any problems unless using slow, long bullets...they will tumble/yaw if you stretch the legs on them.

wheezengeezer

Bearcat
With the "38" twist often times a light load wont spin it fast enough.My 94 doesnt shoot 200's moving slow very well.I dont see how a light load with a 300 will do any better.I shoot mostly full power 240 to 250 gr hard cast in mine.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Ruber said:
captainkirk said:

Ya, that's what I'm gonna try next. Mind me asking what powder you used?

Thanks,

Ruber

Notes I have on the 310 Lee in my Lyman manual were attained from tech support (probably Lee) from when I first got the mould several years ago.

Unique 8.5 grains 950 fps
Herco 10 grains 983 fps
WW 296 20 grains Unk velo.

This is the only data I have. I used the Unique load above with no pressure signs or tumbling in the Winchester Trapper (16"). Accuracy was pretty good at 50 yards (only distance I shot) 1.5" or so 5- shots.

The Lee is pretty short as 300 grainers go, not much more, if any than a 250 Keith. I have not loaded these in over 15 years though, use the data at your own risk.

captainkirk

PS Here is a link to castboolits with some more loads:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34712

I also have shot The RCBS 250 SWC with as good or better accuracy through a trapper and a standard Marlin 1894 (micro groove) with 7-9 grains of unique. Very mild.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Thanks!!!

That's what I've found is the heavy cast bullets can often be shorter than the light JHP's. I might try out some of those Unique loads, but I've got my sights on the WW 296!

Thanks again for the link too!

Ruber