tumbler or ultrasonic...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief 101

Hunter
I use both..I have a commercial ultrasonic and it make brass like new in 10 minutes with no harsh or expensive chemicals, about a quarter to fill it up and do a couple of batches of brass. I do dry the brass overnight tho. A little messier is the vibratory unit and it takes a small outlay to set it up but it will run a lot of brass, tho it runs for longer periods of time, over an hour most the time...doesn't clean quite as well. Then there is the no clean method, and except for looks they all work just fine...just my thoughts

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I use nothing but an antique ultrasonic cleaner. The brass gets deprimed with a universal deprimer, then has a 15-20 minute bath in 50/50 vinegar and plain water (with a drop of dish washing soap) and then layed out on a towel to dry. I usually do my brass wash while cleaning the guns that just got through dirtying them up. It may not have a Lincoln Continental shine, but it's thoroughly clean, inside and out.

I use an old Thumler tumbler. It does the job just fine without any liquids or drying time.

If it dies, I'll consider a newer type for cost . . . but I'll think on it real hard.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
You can also do the citric acid thing. I mix up a strong batch of unsweetened lemonade Koolaide, add a little dish detergent and soak for a few minutes. Carefully rinse and put out to dry. No, it won't completely clean the primer pockets, but as I understand it, neither will most of the other methods.

There are other sources for citric acid, but the unsweetened lemonade Koolaide mix is almost all citric acid, and is available in most any grocery store.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
A vibratory tumbler with a 50/50 mix of corn cob and walnut shells and a squirt of case polish seems to work well for me. I see no reason to change especially since I am a cheapskate. :D