ACC #7 or Unique for 357 mag 158 grain lead SWC?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rclark

Hunter
I'd try Unique as a substitute. I've had good luck with it in .357. 6.0, 6.5gr under a 158gr SWC would get you in the 1000-1100fps range.

That said with the Accurate powders, I'd stick with AA#5 when you find it again. Suited for the velocity range you are looking for.

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
I've been hand loading for over 40 years & of course have used all the common brands of powder. About 10 years ago I gave AA#2 a try & fell in love with it. I then tried the others in the line, #5, #7 & #9. They've all replaced all of the other brands, except H110 which I use for heavy straight walled handgun cartridges like .41, .45 Colt & .44. The AA#'s 2 - 9 burn cleaner. meter better & don't stink, more so than any other brand of powder I've ever used & they're all I buy now.
Don't underestimate #9 for magnum loads either. I have replaced many of my old favorite heavy loads with either #9 or Heavy Pistol. They both use the same data. In fact they were the same powder once. A Lovex product. The new #9 is just a tad hotter than the old, so it's load data is good for Heavy Pistol.

Reactions: LAH

daveag.

Single-Sixer
I've never used Accurate 7 but have used Unique just about since I started reloading my ammo back in 1954. Unique may not be the "perfect" powder but it darn well work in just about everything I've tried it in. Not bad for a powder that came out in 1890 something.
Paul B.
This powder was called "Infallible ". By Laflin and Rand.

3manfan

Single-Sixer
Don't underestimate #9 for magnum loads either. I have replaced many of my old favorite heavy loads with either #9 or Heavy Pistol. They both use the same data. In fact they were the same powder once. A Lovex product. The new #9 is just a tad hotter than the old, so it's load data is good for Heavy Pistol.
Yeah, I use it for .357 Mag but I'm a sucker for the huge fireballs that H110 produces in my other roscoes!

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
I am into the "What Phase" of reloading. I use Whatever Powder I can find now at a somewhat good price.

But in the passed have used many different powders.

View attachment 22583

Just curious, you loaded the most with 231 and the second most with HP-38. My understanding (and I'm just getting back into loading handgun after a long lay off) is that they are the same powder. Do you prefer one over the other or was it just an availability situation?

dannyd

Hunter
Just curious, you loaded the most with 231 and the second most with HP-38. My understanding (and I'm just getting back into loading handgun after a long lay off) is that they are the same powder. Do you prefer one over the other or was it just an availability situation?
They have been the same powder according to Handloader magazine starting from 1988, but the difference in price is amazing.

You can pay up to 10 dollars more a pound for 231 just because Winchester is on the bottle. So, yes I use HP38 because it's cheaper and more readily available.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
They have been the same powder according to Handloader magazine starting from 1988, but the difference in price is amazing.

You can pay up to 10 dollars more a pound for 231 just because Winchester is on the bottle. So, yes I use HP38 because it's cheaper and more readily available.

Thanks for the reply. Looking over my books for 38/357 loads I saw both with exact same recipes. I can't find 231 around here anyway, bought a few pounds of HP38 last FRI at LGS.

27 Man

Bearcat
I have been reloading since the early 70s. For many years all my needs were met with Bullseye, Unique and 2400. Since retiring, I have branched out a bit with #5 and #9. #9 is really impressive in 38 Super and .41 Magnum.

Latest posts