Trying to set up for plate shooting practice - ammo question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Retread

Bearcat
I'll use a fair amount of .22 lr ammo this year practicing for plate competitions. What I thought was reliable Fed Champion 525 bulk ammo bought on sale at Cabela's 3 years ago, is turning out to include 4-8 no fires per brick, including some that won't go off on the second strike. What bulk ammo currently available is proving to be reliable?

I've bought some Winchester 333's, but haven't tried it. I know not to mess with Remington Golden Bullets. CCI Blazer has worked well - one brick, that is. I used it in the only match and it didn't fail. I've bought some Fed Auto Match that I may use in matches, though its more precise accuracy probably doesn't matter in close up steel shooting.

More interested in finding out what works, or doesn't work in Value Priced ammo, because this is what I have to depend on for practice.

I've learned to keep my 22/45 in good clean condition.

thanks, ahead of time.

I have had a few 'non-fire' problems with the Winchester 333s. I have also had a few problems with 'stovepipes'. I don't have a chronograph but some of the rounds just seem to feel 'weaker' than others; kinda like they had less powder in them. CCIs are good if you can get them.

redjak

Bearcat
I had about ten rounds that would not fire from my last 550 round box of Remington Golden Bullets in my Mk III 22/45. Also three of the Golden Bullets got stuck feeding at the bottom of the feed ramp. I have fired three boxes of 375 rounds and one box of 550 rounds Federal bulk without any malfunctions. I had about five rounds of Winchester 333 bulk get stuck feeding at the bottom of the feed ramp.

Federal is the most reliable bulk 22 rimfire in my 22/45. Maybe your Federal bulk got unreliable after three years? I keep buying more and using up what I bought before, so my oldest box is only a few months old.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I shot 40 rounds each of old Remington Target (1995??) and recent Winchester 333 yesterday with my 2245 at 25 meters. No failures of any kind. Actually I did a bit better with the 333's than I did with the Remingtons.

rooger

Single-Sixer
Retired Utahn":395r78ig said:
What bulk ammo currently available is proving to be reliable?
Using my MKIII Target today, I shot 320 rounds of bulk Blazer 40 grain lead roundnose without any problems. Lately I've also been shooting a lot of Winchester 36 grain HP in the bulk 555 box but I get a stovepipe or FTF at the rate of about 1 per 200 rounds. I will not use Remington unless it is the only ammo available because I get FTE and FTF fairly frequently.
Please post your findings when available so we can benefit from your experiences. Thanks!

Retread

Bearcat
Both my .22 cal pistols are in other states, being worked on, so no results at this point. This subject keeps coming up. I should review previous posts.

I get really frustrated when practicing strings of speed plates and yet another dud round comes up. After a brick and a half of CCI Blazer ($20/500 or so, at several stores these days) and no failures, I'm somewhat encouraged. I'll go through my 3 yr old Federal Bulk 525's and then see what I can afford.

I've bought some Federal Bulk 550's recently, imagining the new box might mean better reliability. Damn irrational of me. But, I'm sometimes unreasonably optimistic.

I'm beginning to like the idea (at least) of Federal Auto Match for matches. It's only a penny a round more than the Wally World 550's. What are the characteristics of the Auto Match for bullseye or speed plate shooting from your experience? I assume they go off every time? I only shoot semi-auto .22 cal pistols.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I can't even fathom using bulk pack for a match! Practice, of course, but shooting matches requires the good stuff.

I expect failures with bulk pack stuff, when I shoot a match its Federal 719 or 711B only, depending on the targets. I use the CCI Velocitors when silhouette shooting with my 77/22 because they are much more accurate than anything else.

Retread

Bearcat
What differences in targets determines whether you use either the 719 or the 711B Federal match ammo? Distance, target size, or ???

Federal's site claims only those two "Gold Medal" designated types (719, 711b) are true "match" ammo. AutoMatch, which some people like, is designated for "Target Practice, Rifle, Pistol".

Also, how does CCI Green Tag compare with the two Federal loads you mention?

Thanks, in advance.

4-8 out of 525... that's pretty dern good in my opinion for the bulk stuff....

my experience is even when the stuff is working well about ever 10-20 rounds you get an odd one that goes off and it is usually a 'flyer' too.

Flyfishtom

Bearcat
I use the Federal bulk pack of 36 gr HP ammo for practice. Blazer used to be my ammo of choice but it leads up my barrels so bad I had to switch. I will never use Remington again. The Winchester 555 seems to work okay.

bruce

Bearcat
Recently I bought a used as new Ruger Mk. II standard type pistol. To date I have fired a little over 3,000 rounds through this pistol. I have fired Winchester, Federal, CCI and Blazer. The best results have been with CCI and Blazer. In fact, the Blazer 40 gr. LRN ammo has been not less than impressive. It is accurate and has given 100% perfect function in my pistol. Out of the 3,000 rounds fired, there have been no failures to fire. I had a magazine problem. Two new magazines cleared that up. If Blazer or CCI are available in your area, I would suggest either one for your use.