True 1911?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

snakespit

Bearcat
True 1911?

I know very little about the 1911. Is the Ruger true to the 1911 original? Are parts interchangeable? Series 78 or 80? What about the safety? Plastic anywhere there should not be? Accuracy is it more toward match accuracy or combat accuracy? In theory if it's all metal it could last forever. Will it hold its value in the long term, if it lives a charmed life? Value being relevant. Sorry if this has been covered. Yes it's a lot of questions. The Colt info and pic were straight from wikipedia.

Colt Government Mk. IV Series 70 (1970–1983): Introduced the accurized Collet Barrel Bushing (1970–1988).

Colt Government Mk. IV Series 80 (1983-1988): Introduced an internal firing pin safety.

Colt M1991A1 (1991-2001 ORM; 2001–Present NRM): A hybrid of the M1911A1 military model redesigned to use the slide of the Mk. IV Model 80. The 1991-2001 model used the old Colt rollmark engraved on the slide. The 2001 model introduced a new rollmark engraving.

M151911.jpg

M15 General Officers adopted by the U.S. Army in the 1970s for issue to Generals.

Snake 8)

mattsbox99

Hunter
Well its true to the 1911 in that it is a 1911. Its a Series 70 gun with no plastic that I'm aware of (except the TALO model grips). JMB's 1911 didn't have a beavertail safety or commander hammer, but you could make it look like the original. As far as I'm concerned its the perfect 1911, if I was going to build one this would be it.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
All parts are interchangable witha series 70 with the possible exception of the sights. This gun is not a look-a-like, it's a Series 70 1911.
Jim

9x19

Hunter
The SR1911 does not have the collet-style barrel bushing of the Colt Series 70, nor does it have the firing pin safety of the Colt Series 80, so really it is neither one.

It uses a lightweight firing pin and heavy firing pin spring first made popular by Wayne Novak, so in that sense, as well as some others, it deviates from a military issue 1911A1.

However, it's close enough for most folks.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Tweety Bird said:
I also hear it has a machined-in-place plunger tube rather than the staked-on type on most. Is that right?

Cast in place would be more accurate but yes, you cannot exchange the plunger tube with another 1911.

You hardcore traditionalists, is this a bad thing??

buscadero

Single-Sixer
9x19 said:
The SR1911 does not have the collet-style barrel bushing of the Colt Series 70, nor does it have the firing pin safety of the Colt Series 80, so really it is neither one.

It uses a lightweight firing pin and heavy firing pin spring first made popular by Wayne Novak, so in that sense, as well as some others, it deviates from a military issue 1911A1.

However, it's close enough for most folks.

Sigh.....

trauma1

Single-Sixer
the sr1911 is an excellent pistol at a fair price from a major manufacturer. There are several upgrades available, but comparing it to other manufacturers, this is the best out there. there is plenty of room to add on to and no series80 safety mechanism. mine shoots extremely well out of the box as expected.

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
Just what you see on the outside, the sights, thumb lock, hammer, grip safety, trigger and ejection port on the slide are far different from a true 1911.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Does anyone, including Colt, today, make a true 1911? all guns keep getting improvements, updates, new styling of parts, etc.
Jim

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ said:
Tweety Bird said:
I also hear it has a machined-in-place plunger tube rather than the staked-on type on most. Is that right?

Cast in place would be more accurate but yes, you cannot exchange the plunger tube with another 1911.

Cast, sure (as opposed to forged), but it still needs machining to function. I still haven't seen, let alone handled, the Ruger offering. Maybe at SHOT.

I'm fairly new to the 1911 but I understand that the plunger tube getting loose is one of the things to watch for as the gun gets "seasoned".

snakespit

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ said:
Tweety Bird said:

So does that really make a difference in accuracy?

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
snakespit said:
ArmedinAZ said:
Tweety Bird said:

So does that really make a difference in accuracy?

I was referring to calling the plunger tube machined in place vs. cast in place. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

The original question was is the Ruger a true 1911. Strictly speaking, a cast plunger tube is not original G.I. spec.

DGW1949

Hunter
Srictly speaking.....no, the SR1911 is not USGI-Spec.
I know of no other currently manufactured "1911" that is either, although a couple do come close in looks and features.

Yeah, a lot of the parts will interchange. On the other hand, I've not found many 1911 parts that simply "dropped in" when either installing new parts or switching internals around from one gun to another.

Will an SR1911 "hold it's value?.....heck, who knows?....My thought there is that most used guns are considerably cheaper than their new counterpart . I've no doubt that once the market gets saturated with the now-new Ruger, that will hold true for it too.

I can't answer the "accuracy" question other than to say that most every report that I've read seems to indicate that not only is every SR1911 made more accurate than most every 1911 that I've used over the years, but that most SR1911 owners are better shots than I am. :wink: .

Hope this helps.

DGW

dakota1911

Buckeye
I think as close as you get in a new 1911 with the original are the Colt WWI repos. The latest is the ANVIII in the cheap form. I have a couple from the first iterations, but they are $1K+. Mine are great but you pay the price. They are pre Series 80 on their safeties. Here are my WMK (blue) and WW1 ( black) serial number guns.

ww1sc_r.jpg

I saw an ANV III a couple months ago for about $1.2K.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
The integral plunger tube is an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed...and didn't before the manufacturers failed to notice that a true to-spec pistol didn't have that problem.

Made of proper steel, with countersinks on the backside of the holes for the legs to rivet into made for a solid mount that wouldn't loosen in a hundred years.

And if the left grip panel is to spec, it's a light press-fit that supports the tube from the bottom...and the screws pull the lip at the top into firm contact on the side so that, even if the tube should loosen, it wouldn't pop off the frame.

John Browning wasn't an idiot.

There's one major drawback to the machined-in tube.

If it becomes damaged to the point that it binds the spring, it can't be quickly replaced with am inexpensive part and a simple tool. The frame goes to a machine shop to have the tube milled away and the holes drilled and prepped for a standard tube...and that turns it into a 100-150-dollar project.

Cheers.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
snakespit said:
True 1911?

I know very little about the 1911. Is the Ruger true to the 1911 original? Are parts interchangeable? Series 78 or 80? What about the safety? Plastic anywhere there should not be? Accuracy is it more toward match accuracy or combat accuracy? In theory if it's all metal it could last forever. Will it hold its value in the long term, if it lives a charmed life? Value being relevant. Sorry if this has been covered. Yes it's a lot of questions. The Colt info and pic were straight from wikipedia.

Colt Government Mk. IV Series 70 (1970–1983): Introduced the accurized Collet Barrel Bushing (1970–1988).

Colt Government Mk. IV Series 80 (1983-1988): Introduced an internal firing pin safety.

Colt M1991A1 (1991-2001 ORM; 2001–Present NRM): A hybrid of the M1911A1 military model redesigned to use the slide of the Mk. IV Model 80. The 1991-2001 model used the old Colt rollmark engraved on the slide. The 2001 model introduced a new rollmark engraving.

M151911.jpg

M15 General Officers adopted by the U.S. Army in the 1970s for issue to Generals.

Snake 8)

Snakespit,
If it looks like a 1911, shoots like a 1911, feels like a 1911, and has three safeties on it,
it is a 1911. Don't care who made it! :<}
Blackie

dakota1911

Buckeye
A couple thoughts are that the integral plunger tube was used for years on frames that Ruger (Pinetree) sold to Caspian. Maybe that is still the case. In other words the technology was out in the field for years before Ruger made their first SR1911 in 2011 or so.

With Titanium firing pins for drop protection Colt is using it in their new 70 Series models and their Colt/Talo Wiley Clapp models. S&W is using it in their E Series and new Perf Center 1911 variants. Just a thought.