Tried to buy shooter grade, now not sure.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TheVREntropy

Bearcat
I just got my hands on an Old Model Blackhawk with a 5 digit SN. I am not sure if it is just in better shape than I expected, or been worked on. What are y'all's thoughts?

C7341287-49F0-4EAC-9A36-3CAA5A96D9B3.jpeg
328C624F-1968-4909-A65C-B82F656E91A4.jpeg
E7EA3C1B-4812-4CF5-A8F6-212E57333E5F.jpeg

BamaGreg

Bearcat
The pictures are shadowy due to the sunlight so it's hard to tell. I have a 5-digit like that. Most of the finish on the grip frame is gone but the rest is in good shape. The loading gate on mine has the same plum coloring as yours. My grips have a little more wear on the checkering. Nice revolver.

contender

Ruger Guru
The rollmarkings are clean & crisp. The screws & their holes look good. The slight wear on the loading gate matches the faint turn line, showing some use. (Which, BTW shows that a previous shooter did NOT know how to avoid that dreaded turn line.) And the grip medallions show normal paint loss.
From the pictures, and what I can see,, I'd say it hasn't been messed with.
Shoot it. Take care of it, (making sure you never lower the hammer from the half cock position,) and enjoy it.
I WOULD add a nylon spacer in between the grip panels to prevent overtightening. (Half inch in length, just big enough to fit over the screw. You may have to shave a few thousands off the nylon to allow it to not add too much of a space. I normally shave mine to .495.)

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Depending on the price, it's a beauty. Some wear gives character. I once had an old, beat-up Winchester 1886. Bought here in WA State. Wondered how many elk, griz, and moose it had taken. I also had a beat-up Colt Bisley in 41 LC. Gold washed (mostly worn off), cottage-engraving, carved ivory grips. Lettered to Mexico City in 1901, bought from a collector on the Rez near Flag. What was its story? Stolen from a Hacienda on an Indian raid? Taken from a dead Federale?

contender

Ruger Guru
"Please confirm that serial number. Can't tell from the pic if those are 3's or 8's"

When I enlarge the picture,, I see that they are "8's". When I first looked at the pictures,, I saw the 5 digits, and the "1" & my mind went to "Ross" immediately. :oops:
:(

TheVREntropy

Bearcat
Thanks for the info y'all. It's been about 15 years since I hung out here drooling over everyone's guns and making wish lists. This was always on that list.

It has the Micro rear sight, and cupped ejector rod. I have to find my books.

I was afraid it had been rebuked, as the gripframe is a bit scraped, but the rest looks so good. It was shipped from Arizona. I'm please as a pig in poop. If only I could find some .357 ammo, the kids shot almost all of it up in the gp100.

That's a very nice 5 digit shooter. Taken care of and enjoyed it will be a keeper and story teller. Frame screws look like they may be buggered a bit, probably some club fisted guy with the wrong screwdriver making sure everything is tight. I would mind having one like that a bit.