Tried A BX Trigger Today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
A guy at the range invited me to shoot his 10/22 today. He has a BX trigger in it. I'd been shooting my own 10/22 with the stock trigger.

The BX trigger? Maybe other are different, but the one I tried today was not very different from my trigger. I don't think I'd spend the money to replace my trigger with one.

What's the consensus on the BX triggers? Are they worth the price to upgrade?

I like it... probably about as good as a $40-$50 voltsquartsen modification.... for me you can tell the difference when you are sitting at the bench or laying prone.... slowly breathing out and trying to get the trigger to break dead on between heart beats.....

I've been thinking about one of those.
I tend to be a "trigger snatcher" when shooting rapid fire or at moving targets. In this case, the trigger doesn't need to "break like a glass rod" just have a lighter break.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
ditto1958 said:
... the one I tried today was not very different from my trigger.
I think you've hit on the main point. The 10/2 trigger has quite a range
"out of the box". If you got one of the better ones, the BX trigger is not
really a perceptible improvement. On the other hand, if you got one of
the "less optimal" ones, the BX is a big improvement. :D

blume357 said:
I like it... probably about as good as a $40-$50 voltsquartsen modification.... for me you can tell the difference when you are sitting at the bench or laying prone.... slowly breathing out and trying to get the trigger to break dead on between heart beats.....

So why would you spend more for something that is "about as good" as something that costs less?

rattlegun

Bearcat
I can't speak for all BX triggers but the one I got from MidwayUSA breaks at 2-3/4 lbs. The stock trigger breaks at 4.0 lbs. The BX overall just feels tight and precise.
Doing sear and hammer stoning along with changing springs etc. is so very easy for me to do and I looked at all the kits and decided this time let's go with a drop-in BX; for me it's perfect considering the rifle as a whole system and what the BX trigger does.

rattlegun

Bearcat
pohorelsky said:
SAVE YOUR MONEY! My trigger job blows it away. If you're even a little handy with your hands you can do a trigger job on a 10/22, ain't nothing to it.

Do you have a link to your trigger job? I'd like to try it on one of my 10/22s.

Ya just might save yourself some money by spending a little more money.

I know some folks have shared marvelous success stories with their self-attempted trigger upgrades. I've also read on this very forum, folks who've come to us bellyaching about their POS 10/22 that no longer operates after they upgraded their trigger at their own kitchen table.

I've used maybe a half dozen different BX trigger groups. Originally I also thought it was a very slight improvement, and not really worth the expense. Then I realized that when the BX trigger does not seem to be a big improvement, it's when it's compared to a trigger that was not too bad to start with. If it's compared to a really horrendous trigger, then the improvement is much more obvious.

I also have complete trigger assemblies by Jardin, Volquartsen, Kidd and Brimstone. The Jardin and Volquartsen are roughly $180, but I believe they are worth the price. It's not like it's a disposable expense. I keep my trigger groups and rotate them from guns I've sold to my latest acquired guns, reinstalling the factory triggers when I sell a gun. So once I buy a quality trigger group, I'll have it forever.

Very recently I bought a 10/22 Tactical, which is a short-but-heavy-barreled 10/22. Rather expensive for a factory 10/22. In spite of the nearly $500 cost, it had a very poor factory trigger. I would have at least expected at least a BX trigger in this gun for the price I paid. After my first outing, I came home and installed a BX trigger. I thought it was a huge improvement, but Heliman's opinion is it was only a minor improvement. So praises or criticisms of triggers are also subject to the individuals mood, or maybe even the day of the week. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

timboy

Bearcat
WAYNO said:
Ya just might save yourself some money by spending a little more money.

I know some folks have shared marvelous success stories with their self-attempted trigger upgrades. I've also read on this very forum, folks who've come to us bellyaching about their POS 10/22 that no longer operates after they upgraded their trigger at their own kitchen table.

I've used maybe a half dozen different BX trigger groups. Originally I also thought it was a very slight improvement, and not really worth the expense. Then I realized that when the BX trigger does not seem to be a big improvement, it's when it's compared to a trigger that was not too bad to start with. If it's compared to a really horrendous trigger, then the improvement is much more obvious.

I also have complete trigger assemblies by Jardin, Volquartsen, Kidd and Brimstone. The Jardin and Volquartsen are roughly $180, but I believe they are worth the price. It's not like it's a disposable expense. I keep my trigger groups and rotate them from guns I've sold to my latest acquired guns, reinstalling the factory triggers when I sell a gun. So once I buy a quality trigger group, I'll have it forever.

Very recently I bought a 10/22 Tactical, which is a short-but-heavy-barreled 10/22. Rather expensive for a factory 10/22. In spite of the nearly $500 cost, it had a very poor factory trigger. I would have at least expected at least a BX trigger in this gun for the price I paid. After my first outing, I came home and installed a BX trigger. I thought it was a huge improvement, but Heliman's opinion is it was only a minor improvement. So praises or criticisms of triggers are also subject to the individuals mood, or maybe even the day of the week. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.
Very nice 10/22 you have,I was looking at one a few weeks ago at my LGS,I about shat myself when I noticed the price tag on it! :shock:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
There are much better triggers for the 10/22 available, it all depends on what your intentions are geared toward. I have a few, but haven't installed any of the Ruger BX triggers as yet. Hopefully this spring I'll install one for testing.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Every BX I have felt of........I thought was junk. Of course I like GOOD triggers, not just OK or a little better ones than stock

ruger700

Bearcat
I just bought a BX trigger, consistently breaks at 2.6 pounds while the trigger in my rifle breaks at 6.5 pounds. I think I will see a difference in group size just changing the trigger. I have never shot the rifle but have a range appointment next week. I will report the results; whatever it is.

mag318

Bearcat
I found a BX trigger from Grab a Gun for $50 and once installed in my Talo Mannlicher 10-22 the difference was like night and day. The BX trigger was such an improvement I bout 2 more for my remaining 10-22s. Shop Ruger sells them for $90 which put me off, but with the GAG deal I tried one and ended up buying three. These are really good drop in triggers that I highly recommend.

rattlegun

Bearcat
For $300 the Kidd Two Stage is the cat's meow. It's not just the poundage, it's everything about the entire design which changes the feel. But the BX for $79 is an excellent buy and upgrade.

pigeon48

Bearcat
I bought a BX trigger for my gun and didn't think too much of it. It broke at 3 lbs 8 oz., but it was a little smoother than the stock trigger that broke at 4 lbs 10 ounces. I took the new one apart and did some filing and polishing on it, now it breaks at 2 lbs 2 oz...very smooth. So I took the stock trigger down and did the same thing and finished up with one that breaks at 2 lbs 4 oz. Increased my grouping by 50% at 25 yards.