Too much scope for a 10/22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
Is it crazy to put this scope on a box-stock 10/22?

I like the mrad reticle, not because I need it but just because it's crazy-looking, but even if I wanted to make use of it, would a 10/22 be accurate enough to make the effort worthwhile?

I'm thinking the sane-but-boring approach would be a 2-7x Leupold rimfire instead. Has the advantage of being made in the USA, too.

I have the Leupold 3-9x33 EFR (older version of this: https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-3-9x33-efr-airgun-fine-duplex-riflescope) on my 10/22 Tactical (the threaded version, not the bull barrel version). I think it's a great scope!

But, I can see where the 16x could come in handy when shooting off a bench for groups. When you find the ammo that your 10/22 really likes, I think the 10/22 can be very worthy of any higher end scope. More so when you start accurizing it (like better trigger, barrel, etc).

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
I have a pair of BX triggers for my 10/22s that I bought a few weeks ago. Still need to get off my butt and install them. I'm not planning on anything beyond that for upgrades.

contender

Ruger Guru
It will depend upon the intended application of the gun as to the scope being a good match for it or not. I didn't read the specs on the scope,, but I'd think a scope for a serious .22 RF should have a 1/8" adjustment over the "normal" 1/4" adjustment. And yes,, many 10/22's are quite capable of serious accuracy.
I have one,, that I've swapped a few things on,, (Ok,,, the only thing left is the action,) that is a one hole tiny group at 50 yds if I do my part.

Just a thought, with the standard 10-22 stock that large scope size (not power) of 44mm front lens and 30mm tube could place the scope so high, you won't get a proper cheek weld. The good part is it as a parallax adjusting as close as 10 yds and you could buy or make a cheek raiser.
Myself, on the standard 10-22s I put smaller vortex 2-7 with 32mm front lens. To maintain a good solid cheek weld and I don't fire those more than 50yds. The Leupold mentioned would be a good choice also, maybe better.
I have a Bargara (10-22 action clone) but it has a match stock with a high cheek piece on it. I placed a vortex 6-24, 50mm front lens, 30mm tube that has a proper cheek weld. I was ready to raise the cheek piece if needed but don't. I shoot that to 100 yds now and longer with some practice next spring.
I find the reticles with lots of lines and dashes more confusing unless you really need them shooting long range. And with them you will need to shoot a lot to figure which line and what point you expect your bullet to hit depending on distance and wind. Good Luck.

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
I put a Leupold 2-7 x32mm on my 10/22 Mannlicher, and it's proven to be most satisfactory size and functionality wise for a deep woods .22 squirrel rifle.

IMG_20201022_145804414.jpg

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
Just a thought, with the standard 10-22 stock that large scope size (not power) of 44mm front lens and 30mm tube could place the scope so high, you won't get a proper cheek weld. The good part is it as a parallax adjusting as close as 10 yds and you could buy or make a cheek raiser.
Yeah, that was part of the appeal of the small Leupold. And it does have the vertical part of the reticle hash-marked for hold-over, although it's 2nd focal-plane so that kinda complicates that issue...

And you're right, kludging together a home-made cheek riser doesn't really bother me, so I can't rule out the Vortex for that reason.

Last edited:

NDAR15MAN

Bearcat
Hawke scopes. they have some BDC 22 cal
Scopes that the drop downs are right on the money. I am very happy with the 3 I bought. MD

RC44Mag

Buckeye
For those who are interested in keeping their greenbacks away from no friend of USA and major economic and likely military enemy red china, all Hawke scopes are made in china. 🇨🇳

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
For those who are interested in keeping their greenbacks away from no friend of USA and major economic and likely military enemy red china, all Hawke scopes are made in china. 🇨🇳

Yup. Designed in UK and around for years before being offered here a dozen or so years back....hate the fact they are another thing I like that is from china. Turns my gut.

The Hawke Endurance 30SF 3-12X56 was my go to night predator scope when I was heavy into predator contests...have three of them on a 17Hornet, 204Ruger, and 223REM. The one on the 17 was used the most and has taken countless fox and yotes....it looks like it's been through a war but never missed a tick. Great scopes. Bad place to be made no matter were designed.

My favorite scopes for varmints are Vortex Vipers....a 4-16x44 HST and a Gen1 6-24X50.....both great scopes and have taken more groundhogs than I can remember....made in the Philippines (Lord knows I gave enough of my money to the PI in the 80's and 90's for various "purchases" lol)......I have Vortex Crossfires and Diamondbacks as well, made in China.....

Unfortunately, If we boycott and refuse everything not USA made we sometimes can't have what we may need or find perfect for certain disciplines of shooting/hunting. It's a shame really, and who's to blame?....we are.

Folks gawked at my optic for open class 10 Bull….Mueller 6.5-25x44 Tactical. Mainly used with 9x and 16x. Beyond 16x the clarity is iffy up to nasty at best but fits my needs well.
I will be swapping out for a 4-16 if I get back into the comps.

View attachment 35811
I had a similar setup many years ago. I used to be into custom 10/22's. The huge scope was amazing on a built 10/22. Aspirin tablets at 50 yards, penny's at 100, and golf balls at way further than that. Here's a pic from the way-back machine- I think this was the early 90's.
IMG_3701.jpeg

noahmercy

Blackhawk
My opinion (and worth exactly what you paid for it) is that a rimfire that will be used strictly as a hunting implement and will be carried afield a lot is best served with a small, light, fixed-objective scope of modest magnification. I have a 2-7X32mm Nikon Monarch on my CZ452 for wabbit and tree rat hunting. A rifle used for serious plinking and target shooting, especially at wildly various ranges is fine with a more powerful, adjustable-objective beastie with lots of elevation adjustment available. I also favor a scope like this for determining what the best ammo is in a rifle prior to putting more modest glass on it. I just got a 6-24X50mm with a 34mm tube as a tool for load development and rimfire ammo testing. I just put Pic rails on everything so it swaps from one gun to another with a couple turns of the wrench.