Today is a bad day

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
Today I have to take my 14 year old dog to the vet for the last time. He's been a gentle, good dog his whole life. But just like with humans, as he has aged he has lost his physical control, and at 50 pounds I just can't keep spending hours a day cleaning up his waste that he drops around the house. Our vet has said he's not sick, just an old dog. He's been an indoor dog his whole life but we thought maybe we could let him live outside in a nice doghouse but that hasn't worked. He won't use the dog house and just stands and moans and cries all day and night wanting to come in. Worst of all, for me, is that when he poops he always seems to walk right in the mess, and cleaning his feet, or trying to, is harder than cleaning the carpet, which is why we can't let him back into the house. So today is the day. I've been through this a few times before during my life, and it is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. He is my internet namesake (I use his name as my online name) and I will miss him. I already feel guilty for what I have to do. And then when it is done, I have to tell my children and my grandchildren, many of whom have had Vito a part of their life since they were born. Even my other dog, who is only 1, seems to be aware of what is happening and is confused and upset. Part of me feels like I never want to get another dog and then someday have to face doing this yet again. Just writing all this has made me feel a little better, but I'm not sure why.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Sorry to hear it. Sounds like you have given your old friend a good life. In the end, you're doing him a favor, it would be all downhill from here anyway.

Doesn't make it any easier, but this is the last nice thing you're doing for your friend.

Jeff

contender

Ruger Guru
+1 to jeffnles1!
It's the most humane thing you can do. You care & you hurt. If you didn't,,, THEN I'd be worried about your heart.

pawncop

Blackhawk
A most difficult task of love. My prayer is that Buckeye will find the Rainbow Bridge quickly.

May God rest His hand on your shoulder during this difficult time.

It's hard, but it's the only thing we can do. We give them a good, safe, warm, well-fed life and all the attention they can stand . . . and we have to let them go with as much grace as possible.

But it's never easy, for us.

:cry:

Sorry to hear this. I understand what you mean about how Vito has been a part of your kids entire life. I have an 18 year old cat I need to do the same thing with. It's hard....

sfhogman

Buckeye
Sometimes this is the last, best thing we can do for them.

May his memory be a blessing.

Jeff

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Tough thing to do, Vito. But as so many have said, we owe it to our "friends" not to let them suffer or live lives where they're doing the animal equivalent of sitting in a wheel chair drooling down their fronts.

My brother in law's Mom said something shortly after his Dad passed away, after a horrible battle with Alzheimer's. Both his parents were raised on a farm, and her comment was "If we treated our animals the way we do humans, we'd be in jail."

Ever since she said that, I've often wondered if the flip side of the coin might say "If we treated humans the way we do our animals, the world would be a better place."

A prayer comes for both of you Vitos today, and I'm sure there will be room in your heart for a new companion to the younger dog soon enough.

Rick C

mishtub

Blackhawk
Sorry to hear you have to deal with this, Vito. I'll say some prayers for both of you.
I don't remember where I got this:

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand;
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years -
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come, so let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
And please stay with me until the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve - it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years -
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

RugerHound

Hunter
Been there too many times Vito... Our philosophy is "When sad outweighs happy, it's time to say good bye". We are struggling with one of our kitties right now who is suffering kidney failure. The day is coming when we must, once again, make that decision.

We insist on being with our pets when they're put down... I have at times held them so they have familiar surroundings when they go. It's never easy, but it's ALWAYS the right thing to do IMO. They stand by us during life, so we stand with them at the end.

The best gift to the memory of an old friend (pet) is to give a new unwanted pet a chance at the good life. I'm a firm believer in replacing them. As we get older and running out of days, we now take older animals who've been surrendered or who've lost their owners. We won't be around that much longer that babies make sense, even as cute as they are!

There is always fostering...

The point is that if you can offer another critter a good life, there's just nothing more noble, and nothing that honors the lost pet any better.

In my view...

graygun

Hunter
They are better than us in many ways...maybe every way. It's always very sad to lose such a friend.

bogus bill

Hunter
Was he a hunting dog? My dad had his dog from about the time I was 4 or 5 years old until I was about 19. I came home and Pete was gone. It wasn't hunting season but dad took Pete out on his last hunt. Pete kicked up a hen pheasant, dad shot it and then shot Pete as he ran to retrieve the pheasant.
Pete and dad are on the right on this 65-70 year old picture.

revhigh

Hawkeye
So sorry for you and your buddy.

It's the final act of love though in a dog and owners life together .... We all have to do it.

Save a shelter dog's life on the way home.

REV

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
Have made that trip a few times myself, There are no words that will ease the pain nor reduce the burden. Until one has loved a pet and had that love unconditionally returned a 100 times over, the loss is beyond measure. Know in your heart that you are doing the best for your friend.

Viking Queen

Blackhawk
Been there, recently.......never easy.

Prayers and hugs for you all.(((hugs)))

Viking Queen

FastEd

Hunter
You know he had a great life with you. That's all you can do.
It never gets any easier.

RonT

Buckeye
Sorry to hear about your friend. They hold no grudges from the past, do not fear the future and live for the current moment...we certainly can learn a lot from them and the time they spend with us, albeit too short, is truly a gift.

golferboy426

Buckeye
I know exactly what you are going through as I lost mine very unexpectedly on 9-25. Almost nothing worse. ++ for holding them till the end.

Latest posts