Three Generations Fly-Fishing in Alaska

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Well Guys.

Since Badger Matt posted a VERY GOOD REPORT on his Three Generations of Fly-fishing I thought I would do one also. Ya just can't let those Air Force Guys outdo the Navy Guys. :wink:

Well we just returned to our HOT TEXAS HOME 102F,( first I have been in temps above 80 in 2 months), after spending 2 months in Seattle Alaska and Helena. We along with Trey/Son's family, Daughter/Kathy and SIL/Jeff, and a couple from Norfolk VA. got on the BIG WHITE boat in Seattle and headed "North to Alaska the rush is on". Naaaaaaaa didn't get to see the Duke :lol:
This was a 13 day trip on Boats, Trains and Planes. Just a hell of a trip. Put it on your bucket list we can now mark it done on ours.

Well since Trey, Kathy, Jeff, Grandson/Chad and I are all Fly Fisherman what is the main thing you do in AK? Well DAH you go fishing.

Our first trip was for Salmon out of Juneau. This type of fishing is from a boat and using downrigers for the 5 types of Pacific Salmon. We caught mostly Chums along with a Silver and a Pink. Unfortunately no Kings. We did have 14# of fillets sent to Trey's house, where we smoked some. This was great fishing, but not my true love. Sorry I just have to have a light wimpy rod with the reel in the back.

Or next trip was just a few miles outside of Denali Nat. Park for Arctic Grayling. Now this is my kind of fishing. Nobody around us for miles and fishing in a small snow melt stream full of hungry fish. Didn't know until our trip that the glacier streams/rivers are very cloudy, do to the glacier grinding up the rock and dirt as they move. Some of the water is the color of coffee with cream.

The Grayling is not a very big Salmon/Trout Family Fish in this area. They grow about 1" per year so ours were from 10-14 years old. It isn't the size of the fish. It is the fight in the size of the fish. :roll: These are the fightingest fish for there size that I have ever caught. They were all returned to fight another day. Between the 3 of us we probably caught over 100 in about 3 hours. All didn't stay on all the way to the net since we were using barb-less hooks. Which was OK saved the trouble of releasing them.

Well hope you enjoy the pics. Just not quite like being there for sure.

Jim
Chad and his Chum Salmon.
1313939276.jpg

1313939279.jpg

The Grayling we didn't catch :cry:
1313939339.jpg

The three Generations with Mt.McKinley/Denali in the background. At 20,320 it is a pretty big bump, considering it starts almost at sea-level
1313939336.jpg

One that we did catch :wink:
1313939332.jpg

The Old Man and his Grayling
1313939326.jpg

Streamside.
1313939322.jpg

1313939333.jpg

1313939330.jpg

1313939329.jpg

Kathy and Jeff didn't get to go the same day we did :cry:
1313939232.jpg

1313939237.jpg
:wink:

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
Leave it to the Navy to require a boat :wink:

Jim - Great pics - Grayling refuse to live in ugly country!!! It's fun to fish streams where you might not be the biggest "fisherman" by a long shot. Thanks for sharing.