Thoughts on posting "I'll Take It"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I recently almost got scammed into sending electronic funds to a thief operating overseas. Fortunately things turned out in my favor and my payment did not go through.

It got me thinking though about the fact that before contacting the seller, I posted "I'll take it" in the ad.

It is possible that because of that post, I might have saved others from attempting to purchase the same non-existent item and getting scammed themselves. Surely a scammer would not tell you that his non-existent item had already been sold - he would be happy to sell it multiple times since there was never any intent to deliver.

So for safety sake, consider posting that you are buying an item. Most people do it to claim the item as theirs, but in the event of a scam, you might save others from suffering the same fate.

Well, you saved me anyway. I've been watching yours since you posted it, but haven't had any real luck locally selling my 10mm Buckeye and/or my Golden 39A. You posted "I'll take it" in his ad, so that was that. WHEW!!! BUT- the scammer also messaged me (replying to my WTB ad) with a NV scope for sale. I don't know anything about infrared or NV, so when I Googled the brand he claimed to have, I saw two things. His was really cheap at $1000, compared to ordering a new one for $2800; AND Google pulled up an identical (word for word) ad from someone selling one 4 years ago. That was the moment I smartened up to him. I went back to look at his ads and saw that they had already been disabled. Unfortunately, one of our members got taken, like I very nearly did.

Normally I will post "I'll take it" if I am going to buy it. If I post that I am sending a PM or conversation, I might have some questions or maybe a counter offer or trade and want to discuss the transaction. That way someone who really wants it can post that if I decline to buy the seller ca then contact the "2nd in line".

I will, and have, posted WTB ads that are pretty specific on what I'm looking for. Then any replies I get will be looked at VERY closely, unless I personally know the person or know of them. I've seen too many scams and when you've been in the business for long enough of a time, you tend to trust your gut feelings but I still will do research on the item being offered AND the seller, and if a scam I will tell everyone on all the forums I'm on to beware.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
No rule says you have to. And I have dealt with legit folks who don't post "I'll take it" because they don't want to advertise to the world (or their wife) what they are buying. Just pointing out a positive reason for doing it that is probably not considered.

I'm glad my post was able to save kentucky_yeti from being scammed on that same gun!

Dan in MI

Staff member
That ad got me excited too, it was definitely a bargain. Almost too good to be true, but in the realm of possibly real. The wording seemed a bit weird to me though. Too good a price for someone that sounded that knowledgeable. I finished scanning the classifieds and went back to see your postand shortly thereafter your decline. That made me realize my spidey senses were working but my emotions were trying to over ride them.

That's the other thing we have to control our desire for a deal over riding our gut.

Hankus

Blackhawk
Scammers rely on that, the desire to snatch up a good deal. I almost got taken over on GunsAmerica.com a couple of years ago, but started some deeper research and found the IP address of the poster was from Nigeria. I reported that ad, and the site STILL left it up for weeks. I'll never go there again!

contender

Ruger Guru
I didn't see an ad,, or know what ad you are talking about. (I figure the admins took it down, thankfully.)
But you are right.
Posting an "I'll take it" or even a "PM sent" can slow down or stop, other folks from jumping in on a deal that's "Too good to believe."

BladeRimfire

Bearcat
When I post an "I'll take it", it is a contract that I can't retract. I've never had to cancel my word. Generally speaking if it's someone that I've never done business with, I always ask for a verbal conversation. Surprisingly enough I've had several gentlemen that refuse to do so. I've been referred to by those as a tire kicker or they simply don't have the time or patience to converse with someone. In the scheme of things it's more than a transaction, it's having engagement with someone from a different part of the country to which have never been. I've met some great men through the classifieds which is generally where I lurk, as I'm always trying to enhance my collection. I'm afraid to back talley how much I've spent on this forum and 3 others in the past 4 years. Simply put, if you won't indulge in a phone conversation, whether it be over a $25 or $2500 item(s) then I won't do business with you. I hope I don't jinx myself for posting this remark as I have 4 checks pending goods being delivered at the moment.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I usually don't outright post "I'll take it" because I have no way to back out on my word if there is an issue. If I know the seller, I send them a text, etc. so the post is moot. If I do not know the seller, I need to confirm so I do not fully commit. I will post "sending PM about XXX".

tokenringhawk

Bearcat
Scammers rely on that, the desire to snatch up a good deal. I almost got taken over on GunsAmerica.com a couple of years ago, but started some deeper research and found the IP address of the poster was from Nigeria. I reported that ad, and the site STILL left it up for weeks. I'll never go there again!
I got scammed for $100.00 from a fictitious company Blaeken... (they also operate under a bunch of other names.)

After repeated attempts of trying to get them to ship, I looked them up on BBB and so many were scammed. To add insult to injury, Google still sends me ad's for this companies products even though I had reported to google as being fraud a dozen times. I freaking hate google and do not allow them to touch my data as much as possible.

AkRay

Single-Sixer
A scammer tried to get me with a local ad for an item on facebook. I asked what was a good time to meet, address, etc., and got confusing messages about other offers, a meet up time a couple days later for safety, and then asking if I could send a venmo or zelle payment so he could hold the item for me. I told a friend about the deal and she told me it was a scam, based on what her friend got involved with. The deposit to hold is what they're after. They steal someone's profile page, post an ad and try to collect deposits via zelle or venmo.

I've had a couple instances where potential buyers on Facebook Marketplace wanted my address and phone number immediately. I declined…and it turns out that with an address and phone number they can hijack your FB account.

I am willing to pay more just to go through GunBroker instant checkout with a credit card.

Sendin007

Single-Sixer
I got scammed here over a year ago on a nice S&W Model 19. Price was not a steal but fair for someone that was wanting to liquidate his collection as he stated. He was a long-time member and was very good at how he replied to my questions. He even sent me his driver's license copy and I verified his address vs the license. All checked out. Only slight clue was he hadn't been active on the site for a period of time. I sent a USPS M.O. thinking it was a safe way to go. (Little did I know that isn't much help unless you have the time to pull it back before it is cashed). Come to find out he was scamming people through someone that was not even in the state he lived in! He allowed them to use his profile and accepted payment at his address. He would then cash the M.O. and forward funds to them by crypto. He scammed me and a couple of others on this site. It has taken a long and diligent length of time, but he is getting prosecuted for multiple counts of felony fraud in his state of Oklahoma. May not receive my funds back but at least he will have to face what he did!

Sorry for such a long paragraph but wanted to share how easy you can be fooled by someone that answers all your questions correctly and you feel you are safe with the deal. Stay safe!

Latest posts