Thoughts on an M-77 round top 7x57?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Malamute

Bearcat
I came across a round top M-77 in 7x57. From what I've read in searching, they can be variable in how well they shoot. Are some periods of manufacture only going to like long heavy bullets, or does it vary some between individual guns? I'd like to be able to use a variety of bullets, ultimately having perhaps one medium-lighter and one heavier load.

The condition was very good, it has sights and it had a cheap scope on it. Price is $450.

One thing that was attractive to me was the general comments about the recoil of the 7x57 compared to the '06 and similar rounds. The '06's and 338 mag don't generally bother me, but a shoulder injury has affected how much I shoot, and what I shoot.

Thanks for any input.

Tnhunter

Bearcat
Owning a bunch of rifles, I'd say it can be said about most models "they can be variable in how well they shoot". I own a 7x57 in a #1A and you should enjoy lighter recoil (as you mentioned) especially if you stick to lighter weight bullets. I also own a M77R in .284 Win. The sevens will shoot a variety of bullet weights generally seen from 139gr to around 175gr. I think they work best with bullet weights up to around 160gr. (I also own 7mmSAUM, 7/08 and .284 Win) Although I've shot a 173gr load some in my 7x57 and collected a buck with it, usually if I'm looking to shoot a bullet of 170+gr, I'll look to a .30 cal and 180. I'd suggest you look for a 139/140gr for a nice flat shooting load and perhaps a 160gr (Nosler Partition?) for a heavy load.

Good Luck!

Malamute

Bearcat
Yes, I understand individual guns will have variable accuracy, I should have been more specific. Some of the comments I saw mentioned that the 7x57's tended to be throated rather long, in the traditional style for 175 gr RN bullets, and that lighter bullets often didn't shoot well, but the throating had changed at some point to a more all around useful type. I didn't know if anyone had info on if particular periods of manufacture the long throat could be expected.

Are the 7x57's a long action or short action?

Tnhunter

Bearcat
I believe that Ruger M77s in 7X57 are built on a standard length action, same as the '06 family. My M77R in .284 Win is a S/A (.308 family)

tigerbat7

Bearcat
I have a 1973 M77 7x57 tang safety and a 1A in 7x57 mfg in1975, I have been a handloader for over 50 years and have done alot of testing on different bullet weights, yes the guns have long throats ! but you can get around this by seating your bullets out longer, both mine shoot Nosler 120gr BT bullets well under 1'' at 100yds using 45grs of IMR4895 using a CCI200 large rifle primer at 2840 FPS -bullet is seated out to (3.150) OAL".

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
I have both a tang safety M77 & a 7x57 but not in the same rifle. In my opinion a 7x57 in a tang safety would be a honey of a rifle. My tang M77 is a 250 Savage. It was the Ultra lite model years ago....had a 20" pencil thin barrel. Took many deer with it but eventually rebarrelled it with a 24" heavier contour in same caliber. Still one of my favorite rifles. Lately though I picked up a CZ in 7x57, reloading for it & really liking it. Recoil isn't much more than the 250 Savage but it throws heavier, wider bullets very accurately.
If you get that rifle & aren't happy with it you can always have it rebarreled, rechambered. I sure favor that tang safety design. It is an all time favorite.
Beruisis

wunbe

Buckeye
Some tang-safetied 77s in 77 Mouser had cavernous throats even for 175 fodder. I had one and it was minute of deer or maybe moose. Ruger at the time said that was in spec for a hunting rifle. I had it rebarreled and from then on it shot both 140s and 175s just fine.

wunbe

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
Yeah sometimes instead of rebarrelling a good smith can just rechamber the existing barrel to get rid of that long throat.

Malamute

Bearcat
It had occurred to me that in a worst case situation, I could probably have it chambered to 280 and clean up the throat. That takes some of the fun factor out of a 7x57 though.

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
A long throat doesn't necessarily mean it will not shoot a certain weight bullet accurately. You'll have to do some experimentation to find out. Stay with the 7 x 57 ....it'll do everthing the 280 will do.
I doubt seriously that you'd regret this purchase. Today's bullet designs are terrific. Bullets are designed/available for any chore. In this caliber I'm liking Berger hunting 168 gr VLDs. The Barnes 140 gr TSX also work well.