The Year we came close to a new world's record!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2004 was the year, in the North West Arctic hunting off a back slue filled with salmon. we ran into this guy, he was so big and fat for an interior grizzly bear we could not roll him over. My Native friend Percy, left. Dave the hunter, midfle, his friend and Me. im taking the photo! the skull was over the world record raw. 60 days later it shank just under. we made the book. but what an exciting time thing we might have broke the worlds record. once in a life time dream that almost came true. FNC

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220321-205349_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220321-205349_Messages.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 221
Looks like a very big bear indeed. But whenever I see photos like this the photographer in me asks questions. How far from the bear was the camera and what focal length lens was used. The other is how far behind the bear were the people. Shooting at such a low angle it's easy to compress the depth of field making it look like they are much closer than they really areto the bear, thus making the bear seem larger in relationship to the people.

Those are pretty common techniques used. Two dimensions are very easily manipulated.

mistermills357

Blackhawk
That is a big critter. What caliber of gun did you use, was it a .338 Win Mag, or something else, something even more powerful.

Dave was using a 300 ultra mag. I was behind him with back up with 375 ultra mag 300gn. Barnes. I never fired. 110 yards shot. it was an unbelievable hunt. caped off with a huge bear. and yes, thats an grizzly. not a brown bear. we stew for 60 days waiting to see if we,d be in the top five world record.