Time to put the rifles away

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MO 'antlerless' deer season ends tomorrow but it's warm and rained most of the night so I'm calling it done.
Yesterday, I checked zero on my primary 'alternative methods' season shooters and will be ready for that season opening on 12/23. Freezers are full so the rest of our tags will be used to donate to Share the Harvest.
Hoping for some more typical December weather rather than September(ish). Fifty to sixty degree weather is not good for 'making meat'. Need colder weather to concentrate deer into cover and travel corridors to food sources. Don't know how you Southern guys do this?

I prefer a frosty morning when deer hunting. So far this season, there has only been one frost while I was at camp, that was this past Thursday. Saw a nice buck, but not quite the age I was looking for. The cotton stubble mowers got cranked up across fence at 0830 and chased all the does out of the harvested peanut field I was watching and ended that hunt.

My plan was to be sitting there when the mowers chased the deer out of the cotton onto our side of the fence. 4 does came by me, but no bucks.

I am going back to camp the week before Christmas, does will be on the hit list that week.

contender

Ruger Guru
We southerners do the best we can. I prefer colder weather and nasty weather times.
We have a front moving in and rain has been steady since about 8:15 this morning. I'm sitting in a dry stand, and watched that small 8-point come through again. Love this type of weather.

Hankus

Blackhawk
We southerners just deal with it. I rarely hunt in FL anymore… it's too crowded and hot. I try to get three trips a year up to my mother-in-law's place out in the country north and west of Savannah. The rifle season up there runs mid-October to mid-January. I've been out in a stand bundled up in all my snivel gear with temps in the teens. I've also been out there in jeans and a long-sleeve t-shirt. We have stands set up along the edges of fields, and stands set up along some well-traveled trails deep in the woods. I've shot deer in downpours, in the snow, and on warm sunny days. Our family and some friends have been hunting this area since 1990 so we know it well. It's a rare day that I don't see a deer. Once the freezers are full I can afford to get picky about what I may or may not shoot.
Mobuck, sorry, I got a little long-winded there. We get by.