The Red Label is back! Picture inside.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

There is certainly some CNC work in the Ruger shotguns, but the main "machining" work is done by making a very precise investment casting (a jeweler would call it "lost wax") that takes minimal machining to finish it up. The receivers of most Ruger firearms except the MK .22 pistols are made that way.

Outsourcing barrels is an old and respectable shotgun maker's practice; many of the premier "American" double shotguns that collectors slobber over had their barrels made in Belgium.

It's common to find a European shotgun that was "made" in several countries: receiver in Italy or Germany or Belgium or France, barrels in Belgium or Germany, stocking, engraving and final fitting and finish and "brand" marking in just about any country with a premier gun trade. Now I suspect you might find a "European" gun with Japanese or Turkish metal parts.

All those code markings on the barrel flats and water table may tell a "global" tale!

RJ556

Buckeye
Mike, thanks for the info on shotgun manufacture. I do not know near as much about smooth bores as I do about rifles. I would think that both the previous and newly released Red Labels had investment cast receivers, so I'm still not understanding how Ruger made the cost reduction. I do know that I have a beautiful Red Label 20 gauge with Circassian stock and engraved by Frank Conroy, who has done much work for Ruger.

I'd LIKE to know how they reduced prices on the RL, too. Unfortunately, that is just the kind of proprietary info that no company, let alone Ruger, is likely to disclose! (Those side ribs can't have cost THAT much!).

Whatever their strategy, I hope it works and the RL is with us for many more years. Maybe I'd better put my money you-know-where and buy one....unfortunately I already have 'way more double 12s than I'll ever shoot.

Major T

Blackhawk
If they bring back the 28, they have me this time. I need about four for daughters/granddaughters, and perhaps one more for granddad. That price is not far removed from an 870 ( the nicer version, not the unfinished one ).

tommyjoe

Bearcat
The TV show Inside Ruger featured the new red label last week. The main difference between the new model and the old is the way the reciever is made. They used to make the reciever in two pieces by investment casting, the reciever and the tang, and then they would weld them together and with a lot of maching make them look like one. The new reciever is cast as one piece with very little or no maching. The barrels are made in house and have more of a taper that moves center of balance back towards the reciever.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

On the pricing, there was very little about the earlier RL that appeared to justify the list price to me. And in my neighborhood, there were never enough around at any given time to cut the street price very much.

So I'm wondering if maybe Ruger didn't first save a nickel or two w/ newer/better/more efficient manufacturing processes. Then, having realized they weren't really in league w/ the "B" guns, they had the bean counters do a more realistic analysis of what the gun COULD be sold for to help fend off the competition from the Turkish guns as they build market share. And, hopefully, they have plans to build enough RLs this time around to make up for the price cuts w/ volume?

However they did it, I wish 'em luck!

Rick C

RudyN

Bearcat
I am sort of in the market for a new O/U shotgun and the Ruger has me thinking of getting it. I have several Ruger firearm and they are all great.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Looks like the bottom square barrel lug that seated in the bottom of the receiver is gone on the new red label. Not sure if it means anything or not but noticed it right away as that blued square is on the bottom of all the old red labels.

Sure glad its back--I'll bet the 20 gauge version will handle like a dream if/when that returns!

Ron

CDsix13

Bearcat
I picked one up on Saturday and somehow got very lucky.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=1CE71715F5AB7CF!254&authkey=!ABsEk9V2AahfzEk&v=3

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=1CE71715F5AB7CF!256&authkey=!AOZZgVveEK4IB0E&v=3

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=1CE71715F5AB7CF!255&authkey=!ACbCzEyGBLqMyyw&v=3

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=1CE71715F5AB7CF!252&authkey=!AMjUAN0v55I6b-0&v=3

I am a very lucky person. I found a new red label that according to ruger customer service should have never been shipped. On the box is a 04191, but mine is engraved. When they release them will be model 04194 for the 28" version.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
CDsix13 said:
I picked one up on Saturday and somehow got very lucky.

I am a very lucky person. I found a new red label that according to ruger customer service should have never been shipped. On the box is a 04191, but mine is engraved. When they release them will be model 04194 for the 28" version.

Very nice. That wood is much nicer than any of the one's I have seen too!

CDsix13

Bearcat
Yep good wood. I saw it and knowing that it wasn't suppose to be out yet I snatched it up.

Latest posts