The Red Label is back! Picture inside.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
I have 3 RL's. All bought when I was just starting out shooting shotguns and knew doodly squat about shotguns.

Today I would prefer a Benelli auto 1st and Browning auto 2nd in my choice of shotguns for sporting clays. If I had to shoot an U/O it would be a Beretta. I would not advise the purchase of a RL.

YMMV

CMH

Blackhawk
Got that in a email message form Ruger this morning. Have never shot a RL but always liked the looks of them. Steel shot safe?

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
CMH said:
Got that in a email message form Ruger this morning. Have never shot a RL but always liked the looks of them. Steel shot safe?

Yes, as covered in the review, it can handle any 12 gauge 2.75 or 3 inch shotshell.

CMH

Blackhawk
Thanks Mr Quinn, havent had a chance to sit down and watch the video yet....... but I will. Glad to see your feeling better ;)

1RugerFan_33

Single-Sixer
This is great news; time to start saving pennies...aluminum cans....whatever...imdeed!

This time i'll HAVE my Red Label, God willing...

though hopefully, by the time i pull the trigger...it'll be a 20ga.

Least now there's hope...thanks, Ruger! :D

PaulChristenson

Bearcat
clayflingythingy said:
I have 3 RL's. All bought when I was just starting out shooting shotguns and knew doodly squat about shotguns.

Today I would prefer a Benelli auto 1st and Browning auto 2nd in my choice of shotguns for sporting clays. If I had to shoot an U/O it would be a Beretta. I would not advise the purchase of a RL.

YMMV

WHY?

mcoe74

Bearcat
I received a Ruger email notification on the "new and improved" RRL. Look forward to seeing a new one.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
PaulChristenson said:
clayflingythingy said:

YMMV

WHY?

RL's are muzzle heavy pigs even with the barrel side spacers removed and thrown into the recycle bin. After spending a number of years on the sporting clays course I tried a number of different guns. A sporting shotgun should SWING. A RL does not. And over time I came to consider a good semi as better than an U/O for my shooting.

I suspect the reintro RL will still be a muzzle heavy pig.

PaulChristenson

Bearcat
clayflingythingy said:
PaulChristenson said:
clayflingythingy said:

YMMV

WHY?

RL's are muzzle heavy pigs even with the barrel side spacers removed and thrown into the recycle bin. After spending a number of years on the sporting clays course I tried a number of different guns. A sporting shotgun should SWING. A RL does not. And over time I came to consider a good semi as better than an U/O for my shooting.

I suspect the reintro RL will still be a muzzle heavy pig.

So what are you asking for your 12 gauge RL?

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

This question's probably for Jeff Q:

The original RL developed a reputation on our target fields as being a bit "club like." I wouldn't go so far as that "muzzle heavy pig" comment, though, especially in the smaller gauges. They weren't "bad" so much as there was just something missing in the feel. Perhaps "not very lively" would describe it?

How does the new one handle in comparison?

Rick C

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

This question's probably for Jeff Q:

The original RL developed a reputation on our target fields as being a bit "club like." I wouldn't go so far as that "muzzle heavy pig" comment, though, especially in the smaller gauges. They weren't "bad" so much as there was just something missing in the feel. Perhaps "not very lively" would describe it?

How does the new one handle in comparison?

Rick C

I have the 26 inch here, and it balances very well for me. Of course, shotgun fit and feel is a subjective matter, but it feels as if Ruger has thinned the barrels a bit, along with getting rid of the side ribs. The matter of balance depends upon your chosen target game or your quarry. A duck hunter or trap shooter usually prefers a heavier muzzle than does a bobwhite hunter or skeet shooter. Try to handle one, and see how well it fits your body and your needs.

Jeff