The Puzzling Redhawk .357 8-round

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Ruger's new .357 chambered 8-shot Redhawk seems ideal for falling steel matches particularly since the cylinder is cut for full-moon clips which allow very fast reloads. Currently S&W's 627 series dominates these matches and Ruger could take a share of it.

However, I'm baffled by the fact Ruger only offers a 2-3/4" barrel for this gun. This is not a concealed carry gun by any stretch of the imagination so why not also offer a 4 or 5" barrel with the far better sight radius for match use?

Three50seven

Buckeye
For the same reason they introduced a 3" GP100 in .44 spl with adjustable sights, a full lug barrel, and an unfluted cyclinder....because they want to make guns that no one has a need for :lol: :lol:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Three50seven said:
For the same reason they introduced a 3" GP100 in .44 spl with adjustable sights, a full lug barrel, and an unfluted cyclinder....because they want to make guns that no one has a need for :lol: :lol:
I agree that the .44SP model is a niche gun but that 8-shot .357 has an obvious market if given an adequate barrel length. I'm not suggesting they drop the 2-3/4" version (S&W makes a 627 version with a similar short barrel) but add a 5" version and greatly broaden it's appeal.

eveled

Hawkeye
I have a 4 inch s&w 627, and I can tell you it is a joy to shoot. I agree Ruger is missing a very obvious market.

427mach1

Blackhawk
I know it would add cost, but is it possible to have it re-barreled with the length of your choice?

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
I think they were simply anticipating a ban on semi-automatic pistols once Hillary got elected, thought the platform would be a viable house gun (which it is) and are now going..."oops."

trapperon

Blackhawk
Yes. I think alot of the appeal of the original 6 shot 357 redhawks was they were bomb proof with those tiny looking charge holes in a big cylinder. I have an original 7.5 incher that is extremely accurate and very fun to shoot.

Ron

22/45 Fan

Hunter
WebleyMan said:
I think they were simply anticipating a ban on semi-automatic pistols once Hillary got elected, thought the platform would be a viable house gun (which it is) and are now going..."oops."
Well, S&W has had 7 and 8-shoot revolvers for many years so the idea is not new or based on the current political climate. Higher capacity revolvers, particularly those using moon clips, are very popular in falling plate and other steel shooting competitions.

Ruger always seems to do that. They introduce a gun that they get requests for, then they walk down the line. I'm sure they just had more requests for a short barrel than they did for a longer barrel. They'll produce the other versions based on the requests/demand.

anachronism

Single-Sixer
I've always found shorter barrel revolvers to be quicker handling in target transitions myself. I really don't appreciate the handling of anything over about four inch barrel length.

Just a personal preference I suppose. The 357 is my favorite caliber for most action shooting with revolvers because of its versatility.

Old Dog Soldier

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
Ruger's new .357 chambered 8-shot Redhawk seems ideal for falling steel matches particularly since the cylinder is cut for full-moon clips which allow very fast reloads. Currently S&W's 627 series dominates these matches and Ruger could take a share of it.

However, I'm baffled by the fact Ruger only offers a 2-3/4" barrel for this gun. This is not a concealed carry gun by any stretch of the imagination so why not also offer a 4 or 5" barrel with the far better sight radius for match use?

Why?

Because, W.B. Ruger is no longer around to tell them how stupid some of their ideas are !

ODS

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Old Dog Soldier said:
22/45 Fan said:

Why?

Because, W.B. Ruger is no longer around to tell them how stupid some of their ideas are !

ODS
Well, Bill Ruger was both a good guide and a major inhibitor so the company both gained and lost based on his leadership.

Old Dog Soldier

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
Old Dog Soldier said:
22/45 Fan said:

Why?

ODS
Well, Bill Ruger was both a good guide and a major inhibitor so the company both gained and lost based on his leadership.
I am curious as to how he was a "major inhibitor"

ODS