The 1911: Little things

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Little things. Attention to detail that so many manufacturers have either failed to notice or decided to ignore for the sake of cost cutting...or maybe a matter of feeling that blueprint specs are suggestions.

The sear and hammer pins aren't supposed to fit flush with the frame. They're supposed to stand proud by .003 inch to prevent the thumb safety from marring the frame, and to minimize friction.

The slidestop should have a small fillet at the junction of the arm and the crosspin to hold the stop arm .003 inch away from the frame, for the same reason.

The plunger spring is supposed to have a light kink to keep it in the tube when the thumb safety is removed.

The recoil spring plug should have a punch cut near the front so that it can be threaded onto the open end of the spring to prevent loss. Likewise, the closed end of the spring should be crimped to fit tightly onto the spring guide so that in the event that control is lost during disassembly and reassembly, the recoil system remains in the gun.

In its original guise, the 1911 pistol can be completely disassembled with no tools other than its own parts...excluding the sights, the ejector, the plunger tube, and the grip screw bushings.

The much-maligned original small pad on the thumb safety leaves a flat area directly over the crosspin to provide a flat striking surface for removing the mainspring housing pin. The gun is its own tool box, and the thumb safety is the key that opens it.

The grip screw slots are sized to match the thickness of a case rim, and the slots are dished in the bottom to match the rim's radius so that the screws can be removed with a cartridge case.

A fired case can be substituted for the recoil spring plug as an expedient means of keeping the pistol in operation should the plug become lost or damaged.

The toe of the original magazine can be sharpened to fashion a crude cutting tool without compromising its function as a magazine.

The fixed lanyard loop can be used in conjunction with a partly inserted magazine to pry the cap off a bottle. Note that for this to work, the loop must be correctly angled. Few reproduction mainspring housings with loops are properly angled.

With the slide locked open, the front of the spring/dust cover can be likewise used as a bottle opener.

Browning had a penchant for designing a part to perform multiple functions. The slidestop is the epitome' of that. It functions as a slidestop...it's a slide lock...It's a slide release...it's a cam to get the barrel into the slide...it's an anchor for the link to get the barrel out of the slide. Five functions with one simple part.

The extractor functions as its own spring. It's also sized for use as a scrape to get crud, dirt, and congealed grease and oil out of the frame and slide rail ways as well as the lug recesses in the slide and the frame's trigger channel.

The oiled hardwood stocks can be used as tinder to start a fire without compromising the pistol's function as a weapon. At the time, hard rubber stocks were in common use, and were faster, cheaper, and easier to manufacture than hardwood stocks.
This was essentially a contract. As with any contracted item, cost of production was an important consideration.

The thumb safety...aka "Manual, slide locking safety" was added as a final modification on request of the US Cavalry...not for cocked and locked carry...but for hasty reholstering when the mounted trooper found himself fighting to hang onto a frightened, unruly horse.

The original captive half-cock notch was intended to be used as a safety and is referred to as such in the original 1910 patents...before the thumb safety was added.

The "locked" part of cocked and locked refers to the slide...not any part of the lockwork. It was to prevent pushing the slide out of battery, and...under harsh battlefield conditions and/or neglect...possibly not returning to battery when the pistol was redrawn.

The pistol can't be fired far enough out of battery to blow the gun up by pulling the trigger. It's mechanically impossible, and the disconnect has nothing to do with it. That's not the function of the disconnect anyway. The top of the disconnect can be filed flush with the frame, and the pistol still can't be fired far enough out of battery to cause a kaboom. Can't.

The ear at the top of the left side grip panel partly covers and supports the plunger tube at the bottom to prevent repeated engaging and disengaging of the safety from loosening it...and on the outside to keep it tightly pressed against the frame in the event that it does become loose. This is a function that I rarely see on modern grip panels. If the ear is present, it doesn't tightly contact the plunger tube. This, in spite of the fact that a correctly prepped and staked steel tube rarely loosened.

Next: Instruction for the no-tool detail strip.

Snake45

Hawkeye
1911Tuner said:
The ear at the top of the left side grip panel partly covers and supports the plunger tube at the bottom to prevent repeated engaging and disengaging of the safety from loosening it...and on the outside to keep it tightly pressed against the frame in the event that it does become loose. This is a function that I rarely see on modern grip panels. If the ear is present, it doesn't tightly contact the plunger tube. This, in spite of the fact that a correctly prepped and staked steel tube rarely loosened.
Yup. I had a plunger tube come loose once, and it tied up the whole gun. Never again! Now I make sure my left grip panels hold them in place, as Saint John intended! :wink:

revhigh

Hawkeye
gmartinnc said:
And yet people rave about new "advanced" pistol designs.
Excellent post!

I don't .... Most new plastic pistols suck .... So does their quality, and so does their accuracy, but most new gun owners don't have a clue .... Because its all they know. It's a shame.

The best guns in the world .... The 1911 ... The Browning HiPower .... The CZ75 ... The Sig 226 ... The Walther PPK ... Have absolutely no rivals in today's plastic junk.
Especially the REALLY CHEAP plastic stuff ... Like the LC whatever's, and the cheap Taurus and KelTec stuff. I've seen better made cap guns at Walmart for $3.99.

REV

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
gmartinnc said:
Excellent post!

I don't .... Most new plastic pistols suck .... So does their quality, and so does their accuracy, but most new gun owners don't have a clue .... Because its all they know. It's a shame.

The best guns in the world .... The 1911 ... The Browning HiPower .... The CZ75 ... The Sig 226 ... The Walther PPK ... Have absolutely no rivals in today's plastic junk.
Especially the REALLY CHEAP plastic stuff ... Like the LC whatever's, and the cheap Taurus and KelTec stuff. I've seen better made cap guns at Walmart for $3.99.

REV
I can see we are on the same page. I hate all the new plastic stuff. As you said, most love them.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
gmartinnc said:
Excellent post!

REV
Rev ... Don't hold back ... Tell us what you really think about plastic :lol:. Seriously though, I must admit that the top 5 favorite pistols in my collection are all steel or aluminum grip frames (my P95 does clock in at a solid #6 though :wink:)

revhigh

Hawkeye
BuckJM53 said:
revhigh said:
gmartinnc said:
Excellent post!

REV
Rev ... Don't hold back ... Tell us what you really think about plastic :lol:. Seriously though, I must admit that the top 5 favorite pistols in my collection are all steel or aluminum grip frames (my P95 does clock in at a solid #6 though :wink:)

I never do ... What are your top 5 autos ?

REV

Snake45

Hawkeye
revhigh said:
What are your top 5 autos ?

REV

*Commander, if you consider it a separate model.

*Browning P-35.

*S&W Third-Gen 39XX/59XX series.

*And just for a nostalgic "guilty pleasure," Walther P.38.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
I never do ... What are your top 5 autos ?

REV

REV ... My Top 5 in no particular order are as follows:

* Springfield SS Loaded 1911
* SS CZ 75b
* Springfield SS 1911 Micro-compact
* Ruger MKIII512 target
* CZ 2075 RAMI

The next addition to my collection will be a Browning Hi-Power (as soon as I find the "right one") :wink:

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Speaking of the "Browning" High Power...a little trivia for those who may not know.

Not only did John Browning NOT design the P35...he didn't live to see one.

Dieudonne Saive had to wait until the patents expired before he could incorporate Browning's designs into the Grande Rendement project that Browning started and had been shelved nearly a decade earlier. Browning doubtless would have finished it, but he was working against his own patents. He died in 1926 while working on a stackbarrel shotgun, later to become known as the Superposed Belgian Browning.

Saive's finished P35 bore scant resemblance to Browning's Grande Rendement effort.

DGW1949

Hunter
1911Tuner said:
Speaking of the "Browning" High Power...a little trivia for those who may not know.

Not only did John Browning NOT design the P35...he didn't live to see one.

Dieudonne Saive had to wait until the patents expired before he could incorporate Browning's designs into the Grande Rendement project that Browning started and had been shelved nearly a decade earlier. Browning doubtless would have finished it, but he was working against his own patents. He died in 1926 while working on a stackbarrel shotgun, later to become known as the Superposed Belgian Browning.

Saive's finished P35 bore scant resemblance to Browning's Grande Rendement effort.

True all that.....and....
Most would be surprised to learn that Browning (the company) has never made a single "Browning High Power". Browning Inc. is merely a boxing/marketing company, meaning that the guns they sell are, and always have been, made elsewhere. In the case of the High Power, that "elsewhere" was/is FN, or in some cases, whichever entity that FN licensed and/or contracted to do assembly work.
In other words, t'aint no such thing as a "genuine BHP"....as a practical matter, it's just different slide markings on an otherwise identical FN-branded pistol.

DGW

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Just so...thus neatly laying waste to the myth that Browning corrected the mistakes that he made on the 1911 when he designed the High Power.

The simple truth is that there were no "mistakes" made on either. They were contracts. As with any contracted for weapon, they had the features that the people who wrote the checks asked for...or were at least in agreement with.

The 1911 has a grip safety because it was requested. The High Power didn't have one because it wasn't requested. If a grip safety had been requested, it would be wearing one today. Bet on it.

dakota1911

Buckeye
After reading 1911Tuner's post I am going to look at my Colt WWI repos again, although I may not start a fire with their grips.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
After reading 1911Tuner's post I am going to look at my Colt WWI repos again

Interestingly enough, the sized, dished grip screws are present on my old "Billboard" roll marked 1991A1s. A case rim fits'em like a glove.

One aspect that I can promise isn't on your WW1 Colt is the one-piece milled trigger that the originals had.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Update:

earlier today, I had occasion to look at a Springfield 1911-A1 manufactured in the early 90s. The sized. dished screws were there. They weren't there on the GI Mil Spec that I bought in 2003.

My 1973 production Colt Combat Commander has'em, too.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Yeah. That bunch was a little hostile at havin' some of their belief systems challenged. I gave up before droppin' the big one on'em. Figgered it'd cause their heads to explode.

Latest posts