That darn cylinder latch spring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
I spent some time taking a new model .44 special blackhawk down and it turned into quite a project. I just had to tell someone. Getting that cylinder latch spring and plunger to sit just right meant putting it back together, taking it apart, over and over again. It kept bending on itself and slipping off the latch. Then the plunger would just fall out. If I managed to get it right, the trigger spring would get in the way. But the biggest issue was the spring missing the latch entirely or rubbing off to the side. At first I thought it would be right and then there would be a weak detent on the latch and the cylinder would start having questionable lock up. Well I am here to tell you I finally got it right. The battle is won but the war continues. Next i'll stick a service rod down the barrel and make sure she is lining up right. Then i'll shoot it.

Anyone else have single action take down stories they'd like to share?

Don't even get me started on the gate detent...

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
Well, in case y'all start wondering "what in the heck is he talking about", I have to tell you that it turns out I had the cylinder latch spring and cylinder latch plunger backwards. That would explain why the spring kept slipping off the latch... because it is made for a plunger to ride on.

The pawl spring and plunger goes in plunger first and then the spring interfaces with the grip frame. I got turned around and did them both plunger first. Yep, things are smoother now...

Cylinder latch spring rides in the hole and the plunger interfaces with the latch.

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
What's funny is Ruger had a couple things backwards as well. The factory diagrams and manual note that the hammer pivot pin divot should be on the gateside and line up with the long grip frame screw. They had the divot side of the pin on the ball side although it did mate with the right screw. I was able to set it right. I figure if Ruger gets a mulligan I get one too :twisted:

Took her out to the range today and put about 100 rounds through with no issue. Cleaned her up and ready for service.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
A few tips:

1. Leave the cyl out of the gun until completely assembled but put the cyl pin so the hammer moves back and forth easily; that way you cam observe the cyl latch. If it loses tension you'll immediately know the plunger has slipped off the latch.

2. Always unhook both legs of the trigger spring for reassembly, it's easier to get the spring behind the trigger shelf for assembly.

3. The hammer pin cannalure and long screw can go on either side of the hammer as long they're both on the same side.

4. The cyl hand spring to the left side of the hammer goes plunger first. Also, you can put a small magnet over the spring to hold it in the hole and just let the grip frame push the magnet out of the way as the grip frame ear slips into position over the hole.

5. Install all five screws but do not cinch them tight. Align the grip frame edges flush with the cyl frame by tapping with the butt of a plastic handled screw driver. Tighten one trigger guard screw, then front screw and then one ear screw. Then tighten them all. Check for ease of hammer movement to be sure it's not rubbing on grip frame ears.

NOTE: While you have the grip frame off, it's always good to examine the upper end of all the grip frame screws blind screw holes in the main frame (especially stainless guns) for thread shavings that weren't cleaned out from the factory and get crammed in there by the screws.

Also check the two trigger guard screw holes where they are exposed by the milling cut if your grip frame has the two projections that go into the main frame (the New Vaquero and New FT BH guns no longer have these projections and milling cuts). Almost always there will be a huge flat 'roll-over' burr in each hole from the milling cuts that expose the holes. If they are present they generally cause the 1st 1/8" of removing those two screws to take extra effort to unscrew and can cause screws to screw in too tight and/or break off. You'll need to break off the burrs and pick them out with a dental pick or equivalent tool.

6. MY SHORTCUT FOR REMOVING JUST HAMMER and/or PAWL in New Models:
Recognize, you do not need to hassle with the PESKY LOADING GATE SPRING, pull the trigger pin, OR trigger/transfer bar JUST to remove the hammer and pawl. Once you remove the grip frame, the hammer pin is the only other part you need to remove. After that, just pull the hammer back and all the way down, then depress the hammer plunger in the base of the hammer with a small tipped screwdriver to clear the trigger extension where the transfer bar connects to it. Let the hammer & pawl fall out. Reinstall the hammer and pawl back in the same way they came out. Push the plunger in by pushing it against the trigger extension just like you did with the tip of the small screwdriver, and the hammer will slip by the trigger extension. Piece o' cake.

Occasionally a hammer change that just barely cocks is because it's hitting the back of the slot in the grip frame. I have had to slightly lengthen the slot with a few file strokes.

If either the trigger or hammer pin are snug fits, after they're removed the first time, it's the opportunity to polish them so they're slip fits to put back in and remove the next time.

7. GATE SPRING: A few tips based on my experiences:
To release the gate spring from the cross pin, the small tip screwdriver used as shown in video below is miraculously easy with just two hands or the frame can be held in a padded vise to really make it simple. A little practice with the technique is the key here. The '3rd hand' jigs take more time to use.

The first disassembly is always the worst. The pins are supposed to be slip fit, if they aren't, the first time they come out they get a thorough polish (like they are in the video!) Never need a hammer, just a paper clip or punch to push them in and out with my fingers.

Bevel both sharp edges of the groove in the trigger/cyl bolt pin for ease of releasing the pesky spring.
If I'm not removing the cyl bolt, or gate spring, just trigger/transfer bar, I always leave the pin partially in the frame keeping the spring under tension, with pin sticking out on the loading gate side.

Factory Video - New Model Ruger Disassembly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfOXBa8K8Ow

Factory Video - NM Reassembly (shows hammer plunger assembly too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zEKDqwkgEs&feature=related

8. Three easy ways to replace hammer spring and spring perch at this site: http://www.cylindersmith.com/Ruger-spring.html

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
Every time I disassemble/reassemble one of my Ruger Single actions I have to be re-educated on them. I guess I just don't tear them down often enough for my feeble old mind to remember all the nuances of the process. :mrgreen:

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
Thank you for the very nice checklist. One of the things I found in this Blackhawk was that the gate spring nose that interfaces with the loading gate kept wanting to slip forward of the gate during res-assembly. forward finger pressure on the spring and finger pressure on the gate when depressing the spring in order to insert the trigger pin was necessary to get it aligned right. Once assembled, the gate opens and closes without issue. However, movement of the gate spring while not firmed up under tension was an issue.

SAJohn

Hunter
Hondo did a great post.

I also recommend removing the hammer plunger and cleaning out the hammer hole with a pipe cleaner (Old or New Model). I also like to make a longer substitute hammer plunger sized to prevent cylinder ringing on the New Models. (Old Models only get cylinder ringing if the previous owners did not know that you always have to go to full hammer cock before easing the hammer down.)

IMHO working on New Model Blackhawks are a PITA. I much prefer Old Models.

John