taper crimp die question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Chuck 100 yd said:
Jimbo357mag said:
gwpercle said:
Lee Factory Crimp dies are great for people who don't know how , or can't figure out how , to properly adjust their crimping dies.
Not true. I know how to adjust a seating and crimping die but I prefer a separate crimping die and if I am going to have a separate crimping die the Lee FCD works well and for not much investment. It's just logical. :D

+1

I've been reloading for 61 years and know very well how to adjust crimp dies and I've also loaded long enough to know that there's a better solution.

It's the FCD

mikld

Blackhawk
Ok, let's say I'm gonna toss my FCD and buy a Wilson (type) gauge. I use it, and find my rounds are oversized. What do I do now?

This is one place the FCD makes some sense to me...

Rick C
This is where you go back and find what die is misadjusted or recheck your components. Measure your bullets. Measure the case after each operation. Simple. You could be using oversize bullets (fat bullets + thick case walls = fat cartridges). You could be bulging the case during the crimping. You could be buckling the case during flaring (I had a Lee die that had a "step" at the end of the flare taper and too much force would buckle the case). Find out when the "oversize" happens makes it easy to fix...

What did bizillions of reloaders do when reloading 45 ACP rounds prior to Lee's introduction of their handgun FCD? Perhaps they just correctly adjusted their dies and used the barrels of their guns as a "gauge"...

Hmmm. Just noticed your 3,000+ post count and that makes me think this post of yours was "tongue in cheek", not serious... :mrgreen:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
mikld said:
What did bizillions of reloaders do when reloading 45 ACP rounds prior to Lee's introduction of their handgun FCD? Perhaps they just correctly adjusted their dies and used the barrels of their guns as a "gauge"...

Hmmm. Just noticed your 3,000+ post count and that makes me think this post of yours was "tongue in cheek", not serious... :mrgreen:

Hi,

Well, I think they hollered and whined and p'd & m'd enough that a couple of companies, Redding and Lee, figured out a "better" way. ;)

You're correct in that fixing the problem is easy IF you do the diagnostic work correctly. However, diagnostic skills vary tremendously among those trying to use them, especially as one's just starting to gain the experience which makes them second nature. Plus, there are times when everything seems ok, yet there's still a small problem which the FCD can fix with a single pull of the handle. I think that's the kind of problem some of the engineers I knew growing up might have meant when they laughingly said, "But it worked on paper."

(Only partially tongue in cheek!)

Rick C

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I think some take everything advertised about the FCD literally and assume guys use it for all those reasons. I don't, I bought my first to try it and see if I could find benefit from it.

...and I did, I do a good job of loading 9mm and I load for shooting practice, accuracy and just because I like to play around with different powders and projectiles.

One thing I found is with matched headstamped brass and certain bullets I could hold the target OAL easily inside a + or - of .001" but with either mixed brass, brass that had been shot a lot and different types and makes of bullets, the out tolerance on length grew to + or - .002" or slightly more. I feel that a length variance such as this will have an adverse effect on accuracy in a semi-auto pistol.
So, I decided to try and back off my crimp slightly in my seating die and finished the crimp with the FCD, this worked very well for me and I continue to load all my 9mm and 45 ACP in this manner, even with the combinations that always held their lengths in the reloading process.

My brass is sized just fine and dandy in my resizing die so I don't need any sizing being done in my crimp die. I also don't beat up or distort my brass during the reloading process so I don't need to bump out any misshape that might occur if I didn't know how to set my dies or my machine.

The Lee FCD works for me and that's why I use it.

Oh, and guys that brag about not needing a Wilson gauge are kind of like a guy bragging that he doesn't need spellcheck, maybe he's a great speller or maybe he's so bad that spellcheck couldn't find a clue on what that guy was trying to spell, so the guy shuts off spellcheck just from the sheer annoyance.

mikld

Blackhawk
As I stated, I have no qualms if someone chooses to us an FCD. What bothers (?) me is that new reloaders are told the FCD is the greatest thing to come along since smokeless powder and forget troubleshooting or learn good reloading practices, just cover up the problem with the "Wonder Die".

Well, I think they hollered and whined and p'd & m'd enough that a couple of companies, Redding and Lee, figured out a "better" way. ;)
Since reloaders have been producing good shootable ammo for mebbe 75 years prior to the FCD, I think they just learned how to reload right... :roll:

No a "Lee Hater" as I have a bunch of Lee equipment (Lee got me started reloading in 1969). Even the best companies can make a faux pas on occasion...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
mikld said:
As I stated, I have no qualms if someone chooses to us an FCD. What bothers (?) me is that new reloaders are told the FCD is the greatest thing to come along since smokeless powder and forget troubleshooting or learn good reloading practices, just cover up the problem with the "Wonder Die".
The reloading companies are always coming up with new and better ways of doing stuff. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the old ways, just that there are newer and better ways. Look at any of the companies and you will find new presses, new primers, new powder measures, new scales and yes new dies. Just look at those automatic powder dispensers. :D

mikld

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
mikld said:
The reloading companies are always coming up with new and better ways of doing stuff. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the old ways, just that there are newer and better ways. Look at any of the companies and you will find new presses, new primers, new powder measures, new scales and yes new dies. Just look at those automatic powder dispensers. :D
Yep, and Lee leads the pack for new and improved equipment. We were discussing Lee's OOPS! with the FCD for handgun cartridges...

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
mikld said:
We were discussing Lee's OOPS! with the FCD for handgun cartridges...

Hi,

I'm easily distracted, so maybe something shiny caught my eye when I should have been paying attention. WHAT "oops" are we talking about? Did Redding make one, too?

Rick C

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
mikld said:
Yep, and Lee leads the pack for new and improved equipment. We were discussing Lee's OOPS! with the FCD for handgun cartridges...
I don't think making a nearly perfect crimping die, in all calibers, at reasonable cost, is an 'oops'. I think it is an unqualified success for sure and the only people that put it down are the ones that say, "you don't really have to use one to make good ammo", which is true. You don't 'have' to use one to make good ammo it just makes the job easier if you do. :D

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
mikld said:
I don't think making a nearly perfect crimping die, in all calibers, at reasonable cost, is an 'oops'. I think it is an unqualified success for sure and the only people that put it down are the ones that say, "you don't really have to use one to make good ammo", which is true. You don't 'have' to use one to make good ammo it just makes the job easier if you do. :D

I couldn't have said it better myself.