Super Wrangler versus Single Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CAJUNCHEF

Bearcat
A used stainless Single Six, with no mag cylinder, no box or paperwork, and very poor fitting grips. For 900 bucks. God Bless America !!
I'm glad I decided NOT to sell my NM Single Six 6.5" Convertible! Shipped in 1988, the trigger has a little creep, and slack, need to get an action job on it.

The prices are steep now here In Louisiana as well, I wanted a convertible in the 5.5 inch barrel, but I'm just going to hold on to it. It's the only .22 revolver I have but need to find another used one.
Makes a handy carrying around the yard gun for snakes.

Interesting. If you do a Google search for both Heritage and Taurus you get exactly the same address and the Google Map takes you to the same place labeled "Taurus Holdings". Both websites are extensive, well-done, and likely done by the same advertising firm.

The Heritage website shows an unbelievable line of single-action revolvers at essentially unbeatable prices. If you want something, chances are Heritage makes it. Makes Ruger look like beginners.

Guess we'll see how important a shiny blued finish is these days. :confused:

Star43

Blackhawk
Taurus owns Heritage. Has for awhile. Yeah, I've seen the Heritage and for the money they seem pretty good. Won't argue that at all. But you know, my handgun I bought was a FIE Texas Ranger back in 1986. Seemed ok but sure spit lead back at me when shooting it. After a couple of times of that, I bought my first Single Six. No spitting of lead and more accurate, and if course way better in build and quality. Sure it was more expensive than the Texas Ranger, but that's life. By the way, look up a the Texas Ranger and you'll see it looks EXACTLY like a Heritage. Wirh FIE, the guns/parts came from Italy and put together here in Florida. Still is the same thing. When FIE shut down in early 90's, lo and behold Heritage started, (son of FIE owner) and made Heritages in same darn building same way as FIE. And to be honest, my Ranger which still looks like new seems to be better built than the Heritages of today in my opinion. Ruger makes a far superior gun, again in my own opinion.

Star43

Blackhawk
I still have the original box that my Texas Ranger came in. Right on the pretty silver colored box, it say " made 100% in America". I guess that's how they can say that legally as they are put together here in the USA. Again, God Bless America !!

I was at the gun counter if my local shop the other day. They had just received 2 Super Wranglers. One in bronze/black and one in silver/black. I asked to see one. Yes, it looks and mostly feels like a NM Single Six without the refined fit and finish. The loading gate wasn't too stiff, the hammer moved smoothly- but they must have put a 10lb trigger spring in this thing. Ugh. The sights were good. I pulled the cylinder and everything was as expected.

They were priced at $259. Seems like a deal. If there was an all black one I might have been tempted. But honestly, when I can find an OM Single Six for $100 more, that temptation sorta evaporates for me. I'm sure Ruger will sell all they can make, and Wolff better start churning out a bunch of lighter trigger springs…

Bottom line- for me- if you want a tool, it fits the bill perfectly. But to me, my guns are companions- I take pride in them and enjoy just holding them. The Super Wrangler just doesn't do it for me.

Star43

Blackhawk
I don't think you will find a Single Six for just a hundred more. Not in California in my opinion. I was just at Bass Pro here in the valley yesterday. That was an experience. I asked the "clerk" to see if they had any, as there was only a Heritage for $179. and a regular Wrangler there for $209. No Super Wrangler at all. The best part is when I asked the guy about a SS. He looked at me and said:. Is that a new gun ? I haven't seen one yet" I told him the SS was the original. He had no idea. There was a customer nearby who was listening and chimed in by saying "you won't find a Single Six here" He too goes to different shops in CA here and says he hasn't seen one yet either. He then said, Look at this crowd here. Do you think they want to pay 700 or 800 for a SS when they can buy Wrangler for $209......Then he said most of these people may opt for the Heritage as they can save $30 !!! . He then said that he bought a Wrangler himself but knows it is Not a Single Six.

I'm not saying you can walk into any LGS and find an inexpensive new Single Six. I probably should have quantified myself. What I am saying is that with dedication and patience you can find a used SS for the mid $350 range, and not only have a great gun but a piece of history. I prefer the fixed sight 3 Screw models. But the adjustable sight models are out there too. The last one I bought, on GunBroker, was $330. And it's a beauty queen that's a joy to hold and shoot. Pic below of my $330 SS and my standard Wrangler.

The local pawn shop has quite a few NM Single Sixes in the $500 range. I think they're overpriced.

Take a look at my picture below. Which would you rather own? Myself- it's the top one.
IMG_7859.jpeg

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
I recently bought a stainless Single Six for $425 and thought I stole it......My Wrangler was $175.......I suppose it's all supply and demand

Star43

Blackhawk
I agree 100 %. There is no comparison. The guy I was talking to yesterday agrees also. There is nothing like an original SS. Speaking only for myself, I am not a Gun Broker kind of guy. I like to go someplace, see something, hold it and feel it. Then buy it......I am old school. I have a 3 screw and other single sixes so I am happy. I go to a lot of places to look and it's ok if I walk out of there empty. It makes me appreciate what I have now.
I recently bought a stainless Single Six for $425 and thought I stole it......My Wrangler was $175.......I suppose it's all supply and demand
I think you did pretty darn good in today's market!

Star43

Blackhawk
You did steal it. Most of the very clean but used SS are going for closer to $600, here.
I don't know what state you are in, but in CA, forget finding a new one, and even places that have used guns, fat chance of seeing one there too. Pawn shops for most part around me don't even sell guns, maybe a few with long guns, but no handguns.....yeah, all in all, he got a pretty darn good deal !! Enjoy it.!!

xtratoy

Buckeye
I'm waiting to see if Ruger puts one of the 7.5" barrels on the Super Wrangler. They have them on the Wrangler. If they do I'll buy the first one I can.

Star43

Blackhawk
That gun will sure have some "heft" to it. The metal composition they use is solid, but a little heavy. I have only seen one around here.

Star43

Blackhawk
I hope you like it if you ever find one. The Super Wrangler I saw had a zinc like metal which seemed to be kind of hefty.......Speaking of weight, I used to get a kick out of the listed weights for the blued single six and the stainless version in the Ruger catalogs. Just handle them. The stainless is quite a bit heavier. I have both and it's easy to see by just holding them.

Star43

Blackhawk
Let's face it. Stainless steel is heavier than aluminum. On the stainless guns, the whole gun is stainless. There is a lot of aluminum on the blued gun. It's ok. The aluminum is very tough and I would want aluminum over plastic any day.

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
Personally, I don't get all the controversy and derision over the Wrangler line? Think they're total complete garbage and don't want one? Then don't buy one PERIOD...Ruger is selling all they can produce without you and the Sun absolutely WILL rise tomorrow morning. My recently acquired Super Wrangler is my 5th and probably last?.. unless they offer some other unbelievably cool carbine version that I cannot possibly resist...🤩 I also happen to own three times as many Single-Sixes, both old and new models and don't plan on selling or trading any of them off anytime soon either. Both have a place in my firearms collection and will continue to be thoroughly enjoyed in my backyard range...Life is good in my non Gun-Snob world. 😉👍

Star43

Blackhawk
I agree that there should be no controversy at all. If a guy likes a gun and buys it, and is happy with it, God Bless America........personally I am Not a gun snob at all. I have always bought what I liked and what I thought was a good price and value. For example when one thinks of a gun snob and especially when it comes to Revolvers, back in the day, you had to have a "Smith"......so many guys fell into that line. Heck I was born in Mass. where Smiths were/are made (for now, anyway) and I thought the Ruger was a better gun and a better deal. That's "me". Summing up, if one wants a Wrangler, go for it. If it works for you, that's great. I am Not knocking a Wrangler, never meant to. I was just speaking up for the Single Six, the original from 1953. That sadly, has seen it's best days gone by, because it is too costly to make in this day & age, in this "modern" market.