Super redhawk question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snookkatcher

Bearcat
I would also give ' two thumbs up ' on the Super Redhawk. I have the 7 1/2" Bbl. .44 Mag. version and totally love it. It's a heavy beast to carry, but if it's used as a primary weapon, especially in a good shoulder rig setup, no problem. The previous statements RE: " Bank-vault lockup" and " Built like a tank" are absolutely correct. The Cyl. on mine shuts with an ominous, precision bank-vault 'clunk', and with absolutely zero play in the lockup. The 'tank-built' Ruger will stand up to ANY ( SAFE ) load you can put in it....check out the Garrett Cartridge website and you'll see the MAX cannon-fodder is specifically for the Super Redhawk. I doubt if you could EVER wear one out. The scope rings are SOLID, with no separate bases/rails needed. 30 mm's are available too. Personally, I've only used mine with irons, so far. ( Splurge for the Gold-bead or fiber-optic front/shallow 'express' 'V' rear option...WELL worth it if you intend much more iron-sight use. ) Ranges are short in the heavy woods and swamps I hunt, but a scope or red-dot does make it more precise, short or long range. I also had a .44 Mag. Super Blackhawk 7 1/2" for a long time...loved it too ( sold when money needed..). The new Super Blackhawk Hunter SS models are great too. My personnal pick would be the Bisley model...love that grip and lower hammer. For a secondary/ backup-for-rifle handgun in hog/bear areas, I carry a 5 1/2 " Blackhawk .45 Colt. Lighter, and carried on belt to free shoulders for rifle/shotgun mounting. Hope this helps! Lee

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
3-screw-357 said:
White Falcon said:
In my shoulder rig.

DSCN19021334.jpg
omg white falcon would you please post photos of your your shoulder rig and ware you got it I have been looking for some time
Thank You Jesse

x2!!!!

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
I also like SA's, and have the 44 Mag Super BH in 7.5" barrel. As to 'why no rails?', I'll give you the short version of my story. I wanted a red dot, and the one I bought would not fit between the rings mounted on the barrel 'cut-outs', so I put a "B-Square" rail on it. Two problems: first, it raised the sight too high and was not perfectly centered as to windage, and second - and more important - although the sight took the recoil fine, (a "PDP-3"), the rail furniture DID NOT! Aluminum parts that just got eaten up and would not stay tight. So the rail is in the drawer, the RD sight is on my MKIII, and the Blackhawk now wears a 2x Weaver classic. I still prefer a RD sight for hunting, but until yesterday, couldn't find one that was both able to handle hot 44 Mag reloads, AND fit between the cutouts on the barrel. I now have a line on one that fits, and seller tells me it WILL handle the recoil . . . . We'll see.

IMO, a red dot is THE way to handgun hunt. Fast, both eyes open, no magnification, but none really needed, etc. But don't buy a cheap one; my son did, and promptly destroyed it with his max-loads in a Smith 629. (And it wasn't really all THAT cheap at that!)

Edited to add pix; with RD, and with scope.

44_421.jpg

44with2x.jpg

White Falcon

Bearcat
Well I could not find this rig for a 9 1/2 barrel, so I made a paper pattern and made it. Hard part was trying to fit the conture of the belt. Momma, keep pleating the puckers, and I would tape them up and re cut the paper till I got the fit I liked. It hangs good, either way, I like cross draw. The weight is even, and can be taken out very easy. I also added the bullet holder, so I had easy access.
DSCN18991331.jpg

DSCN16220582.jpg

DSCN16560616.jpg

DSCN19691387.jpg

Ozark rkg

Bearcat
nekvermont said:
Hi folks, nice place you have here - thanks for having me. I've been an avid rifle and bow deer hunter most of my 55 years and have it in my head that i would like to start handgun hunting. I hunt both from a treestand and on foot. I Have my mind set on a SRH .44 mag. but have some questions. I think I would like to use some sort of optics but would like the option of removing the optics in order to use the open sights. That being said, I am leaning toward a 9 1/2 " barrel - am I crazy for wanting a 9 1/2" over the 7 1/2". Also I read a lot of neg. comments about Rugers QC - I'll probably have to order what I want and am concerned about getting one thats "just not right" and have to deal with getting it fixed. Is this a valid concern? Thanks for your time.

Nekvermont,

Can only speak from my experience, but the Super Redhawk with the 7 1/2" barrel is by far the best .44 handgun I have ever shot. Ugly? Not to me.....Not when it performs the way it does. Tough, very accurate, and dependable. Will handle any load you wish, with ease.

What's not to love?

CraigC

Hawkeye
I've always pretty much agreed with the folks who say the SRH is ugly but the introduction of the .480 cartridge made me g et one anyway. It is ugly but I like it anyway. However, while it is certainly a large sixgun, it is by no means unwieldy nor is it overly heavy. You guys need to actually look at some weights because the SRH is only an ounce heavier than the Super Blackhawk Hunter model (53oz vs 52oz) and an ounce lighter than the Bisley version of same which is 54oz. My .480 version is a full 2oz lighter than the .44Mag Bisley Hunter.

I definitely agree that the 7½" barrel is plenty.

Mine will eventually get a fixed 2x as the big 2-7x is way too much glass but I already had it sitting there....waiting.
Ruger%20SRH%20480%20-%20008.JPG

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
For hunting, the longest barrel you can get is better, b ut 9.5 vs 7.5 is only marginally better. Three factors enter in.

Weight distribution/balance. This is highly personal and only you can tell.

Sight radius (distance rear to front sights) Longer is better, within reason.

Location of the scope (can you easily access the hammer for single action cocking?)

I suggest, for your described purposes, hunting, the Super Blackhawk Hunter with scope ring cutouts on the barrel top rib. They position the scope forward far enough that you can cock the hammer with your thumb. The Super Redhawk's scope position does not allow that with any scope I have seen.

The Super Redhawk is reputed to be stronger than the Blackhawk, so you have to make your own decision on that factor. But the clearance over the hammer would make my decision for me.

But here's the main reason for my posting. I have heard that the Ruger scope rings reinstall to the same point of impact reliably. That would be important to me. Being able to switch back to the scope after carrying with only iron sights would be nice to be able to rely on.

Lost Sheep

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I am a single action nut and own 3 super blackhawk's and 1 redhawk one of the early ones without the mount dovetails in it. I am also crazy about shorter barrels on revolvers. I shoot a 4 5/8" revolver better than a 7.5. I have a super redhawk alaskan that is a great shooting pistol in the 454 I can pretty concistently hit a 6" spot at 60 yds with. I would suggest you find someone with a long bbl revolver and try it before buying one. I hunt with my 4 5/8" revolvers and feel confident with them at my ranges that I can shoot and see. I hunt in the woods in heavy cover and my longest shot would be within 50 yds at the most. I am a old hunter and have killed my share of deer. I don't mind passing up a shot if it's not a perfect killing shot. I have never lost a deer and don't want to start now. My last 5 rifle shot deer were all head shots. The handgun is a lot more challenging and fun. My last handgun deer was a 50 yd perfect placed shot with my 500 S&W 4". The deer ran about 50 yds and dropped dead. Not what I was expecting at all. The shot took out heart lungs and the off shoulder but didn't anchor the deer on the spot. I passed up a head shot on one last year at about 15 yds. It was just too hot and I didn't want to fool with it then

3-screw-357

Bearcat
White Falcon said:
Well I could not find this rig for a 9 1/2 barrel, so I made a paper pattern and made it. Hard part was trying to fit the conture of the belt. Momma, keep pleating the puckers, and I would tape them up and re cut the paper till I got the fit I liked. It hangs good, either way, I like cross draw. The weight is even, and can be taken out very easy. I also added the bullet holder, so I had easy access.
DSCN18991331.jpg

DSCN16220582.jpg

DSCN16560616.jpg

DSCN19691387.jpg
white falcon you do very nice work
Thank You
Jesse