Super redhawk question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nekvermont

Buckeye
Hi folks, nice place you have here - thanks for having me. I've been an avid rifle and bow deer hunter most of my 55 years and have it in my head that i would like to start handgun hunting. I hunt both from a treestand and on foot. I Have my mind set on a SRH .44 mag. but have some questions. I think I would like to use some sort of optics but would like the option of removing the optics in order to use the open sights. That being said, I am leaning toward a 9 1/2 " barrel - am I crazy for wanting a 9 1/2" over the 7 1/2". Also I read a lot of neg. comments about Rugers QC - I'll probably have to order what I want and am concerned about getting one thats "just not right" and have to deal with getting it fixed. Is this a valid concern? Thanks for your time.

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum! I own a 7 1/2" version and love the gun. But I don't hunt. I just liked the platform and wanted one to use for load development and target work etc. I really believe that most of the problems you notice could be characterized as being the tip of the iceberg of all owners. The guns are very well made as a rule. They are also very heavy. My gun took some sessions at the range to get used to. I would call the Super Redhawk a "bank vault". It must be the most over built .44 Magnum on the planet. I have many handguns mostly big bores. And mostly .44s though a few of those "weird" .45s live with me too. The .44 Super Redhawk is the most accurate of my bunch. Hope you enjoy yours!

Hi and welcome! The SRH is a fine revolver and is definetly suited for hunting. That said most hunting situation with a handgun in an ideal world is a one shot kill. For that reason and others I like the Super Blackhawk Hunter, it's lighter than the SRH but still heafty enough come with intergrated scpe mount and rings. Available in 41mag 44mag and 45colt the 44mag is the most comon. Here's a link where you can see one. ps

http://ruger.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawkHunter/models.html

John Fox

Bearcat
I've hunted wild boar with one and loved it. It has integral rings for a Leopold scope which I didn't use on my hunt because of close shooting in the woods.

batmann

Single-Sixer
Depending on your loads, I would go with a SRH. They are bank vault solid and will shoot just about any sane load. I like the 7.5" better, but that is a personal choice.
Take all that you read on the internet with a grain of salt as ONE person starts a thread on 3 or 4 forums and it is suddenly cast (pun here) in stone about (pick one) quality control. All I can give you is my own personal experience and it is all good regarding Rugers. They are not FA, but they are half the price.
Get your SHR in whatever barrel length you want and enjoy it and don't worry about internet rumors. If you have any doubts about getting one, ask a real live person that has one. I have a SRH Alaskan in .44M and my friend 7.5" SRH also in .44M /scope and his is a tack driver.

A

Anonymous

Actually if you are a bow hunter, you know how to get within 60 feet or so of a deer to take your shot.

If you are going to continue in that type of concealment or from a tree stand, you can probably kill all the deer you would care to clean, with a 38 Special.

I have done that very thing. A guy I know (bow hunter) killed a deer with a hand thrown spear!

Using optics, the length of the barrel is not very important. Using the iron, the length of the barrel is only marginally more important, so assuming that you would probably limit your shots to 50 yds or so (using the iron sights) the 7-1/2" barrel is plenty long enough.

Certainly the 44 Mg is powerful enough and you will have fun doing it. Please post pictures of your success. 8)

3-screw-357

Bearcat
I hope this comes out
two photos same gun the first has a rail and a red dot
The 2ne has a red dot UltraDot no rail needed
1st one with shot good for 10 20 rounds would not could not keep it on the paper .
this UltraDot has seen some 100 rounds +. 3 rd photo is 6 rounds in 5 holes
that gun can shoot you can do that at 50 yards YES THAT ON SAND BAGS
5-11 160 LB AND A BAD BACK the gun is not to big
Stay away from rails
hope this helps

DSC00881.jpg

MVC-022F.jpg

MVC-021F.jpg

nekvermont

Buckeye
Thanks for the replies. I like to hear the words "Tack Driver". Good shooting 3-screw-357. Why don't you like the rails? Do the rings that come with the SRH mount up solid? Thanks again for everyones input.

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
I just received a 9.5" .44 Mag SRH last week. Like yourself, I am an avid hunter and wanted a good hunting handgun to add to the stable. I certainly have confidence that this is the right tool for the job.

I shot it several times with open sights and man did that thing put a smile on my face! It is extremely well built and is far more accurate than any handgun that I've had.

The scope rings that come with the gun are 1" which are kind of small. I ordered the 30mm rings from Ruger so that I could install an Aimpoint 9000 SC on it. I'm with the poster above about not liking the rail mounts. I can't wait to get to the range now that I have the red dot installed.

smokehouse

Bearcat
I have a 7 1/2" .44 SRh and find it to be a superb firearm. It is build like a tank and damn accurate as well. I have ran some punishing rounds through mine and it doesn't even flinch. Although I consider it to be rather ugly...I bough it because the build quality was so far above most other .44 full size revolvers on the market.

Right out of the box mine came with a smooth trigger...not gunsmith smooth but far better than any other NIB revolver I've ever had...including my Sp101...

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
smokehouse said:
Although I consider it to be rather ugly...I bough it because the build quality was so far above most other .44 full size revolvers on the market.

I've seen several people make that comment about not liking the looks of the SRH..... Why is that? :?

Personally, I love the looks of the gun as far as revolvers go.... That was what first drew me to that gun. It looks big, bad and beefy! Like it could eat whatever you fed it (which it likely can). Then again, I like Jeeps that are lifted and the sound of big block V8s! :lol:

no5shooter

Bearcat
I also have a 9.5" SRH, with a scope. Mine is mounted using the Ruger rings, directly to the frame. I'm responding to the issue of rails or no rails, and I have to say I never even considered adding a rail when the factory was nice enough to put those cuts in the frame and give me some rings to go with them! My initial thought is, "Why would you want to add another piece to the structure, with more screws to loosen, more tolerances to hope are in spec, etc.?" I just figure the fewer parts involved in attaching anything to anything else, the less there is to go wrong. If Ruger and Leupold ever get married and produce a big-bore revolver with an integral scope, I'm all over that! OK, extreme, but you get my point.

nekvermont

Buckeye
You guys are getting me all excited (about buying a SRH). This is a big investment for me and I just want to get it right. I only own 2 other rugers, ones a .22 semi auto pistol that I bought when they were $47 new and the other is a 10-22. Would never part with either one.

smokehouse

Bearcat
GR8_Outdoorsman said:
smokehouse said:
Although I consider it to be rather ugly...I bough it because the build quality was so far above most other .44 full size revolvers on the market.

I've seen several people make that comment about not liking the looks of the SRH..... Why is that? :?

Personally, I love the looks of the gun as far as revolvers go.... That was what first drew me to that gun. It looks big, bad and beefy! Like it could eat whatever you fed it (which it likely can). Then again, I like Jeeps that are lifted and the sound of big block V8s! :lol:

I think it's the neck/barrel joint that turns me off to it. I have no issue with the rear of the revolver...or the thick, all business bull barrel...the joint between the rectangle neck...then abrupt change into a round barrel is a bit stark. I love the Alaskan on the other hand...I think it is tough looking.

I know the SRH came out WAY before the Alaskan but when I look at mine, all I see is an Alaskan with a post sticking out the end of it.

However, when it comes to me an firearms...I'm 100% function over form. The SRH is so well built, I was easily able to overlook the design.

nekvermont said:
You guys are getting me all excited (about buying a SRH). This is a big investment for me and I just want to get it right. I only own 2 other rugers, ones a .22 semi auto pistol that I bought when they were $47 new and the other is a 10-22. Would never part with either one.

Big revolvers are expensive anymore. I know first hand what you're talking about. When I started my .44 mag search I had it narrowed down to three brands. Taurus, Ruger and S&W. Playing with a Raging Bull...I passed. Comparing the Ruger and S&W...I went with the Ruger. Although the finish wasn't as finely tuned as the S&W, the Ruger is built tougher (note I didn't say "fit and finish"...the Ruger is just as well put together as the S&W). The price was also better.

I say buy with confidence...it really is a nice (be it heavy) revolver. You'll love it.

scorvers

Bearcat
The SRH is built like a tank and weighs alsmost as much as one. I'd definately go with the 7 1/2" or the 9 1/2". That LLLLOOOONNNGGGG barrel makes for a front heavy piece.
And don't rule out the SBH, it's built like a tank and weighs considerably less.