Super Redhawk in a holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Uncle Alvah

Bearcat
I love, and love to shoot, my Super Redhawk .44 Mag.
Thing is, I never "carry it" it rides in a case to the range or whatever.
I'd like to change that.
In all honesty, I find the chest rigs, while surely practical,something that just leaves me cold.
I'm wondering if any folks on here carry their iron-sighted SRH in a belt holster, or is the gun simply too big/heavy to make waist carry a viable option?

Jim Puke

Hunter
For my large hunting revolvers such as the SRH, I use an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster as my body size makes belt carry for these big guns very awkward.

barber

Bearcat
I hsve a very good shoulder holster, but I usually carry my SRH in a belt holster, unless it's raining. Just seems better in a belt holster

Charlie U.

Bearcat
They are a pretty big gun for belt carry. The long barrel makes them a bit difficult to draw, but if you are deliberate and don't try to speed draw it's entirely manageable. I wear suspenders while hunting with my 9.5" SRH....it helps distribute the load.

I shopped for leather belt holsters for the SRH and found some. There are nylon ones available too. They cost less, but I was really wanting the feel and durability of leather. Here are some that I found:

Ruger's online store
http://shopruger.com/Redhawk_Super-Redhawk-Holster-9-bbl/productinfo/84193/

Triple-K holsters offer nice fitted leather belt holsters for un-scoped SRH.
http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/409/prd/137/

The Hunter brand of holsters are also nice, but they only have them up to 7.5".

My SRH is scoped so it rides in a cheap Uncle Mikes shoulder rig. I found that once you have it on and adjusted to the clothes you are wearing (light or heavy depending on the season) I can carry it all day and almost forget that I have it on.

s4s4u

Hunter
I prefer a crossdraw for larger revolvers. Hunter makes some very affordable ones.

98Redline

Blackhawk
+1 on the shoulder or bandoleer type rigs.

I can wear a scoped gun all day in one of those rigs and never get tired of the weight.

Something like a Ringler Custom Leather Wyoming Combo Holster will easily hold a 7 1/2" Scoped or unscoped revolver and distribute the weight very evenly across your body.

The other thing that is nice about this holster design as opposed to a belt design is that it will not get covered by a coat. Both for convenience when drawing and keeping you out of potential trouble due to concealed firearm issues.

certified angus

Bearcat
http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/holsters/large/johnshark.html

I have one of these, but for the scoped revolver. I also bought a matching belt to carry the weight. It is very comfortable and distributes the weight very well. Hardly notice it. Mine is a 7.5 incher.

exlogger

Single-Sixer
In all honesty, I find the chest rigs, while surely practical,something that just leaves me cold.
I have an Uncle Mikes shoulder rig for my SRH, but the straps are too short (I have to give myself a wedgie to make it fit :shock: ). They are designed for smaller people. I'm 6'3" 260 pound Indian and I have yet to find a shoulder rig that fits. To make the quest even more difficult throw in "southpaw".

When your a big left handed Indian you settle for what you can get, and I've found the left handed 7.5" hip holster to be just fine. Simple, and you don't feel like an afflicted man with a wedgie in a straight jacket.

98Redline

Blackhawk
Not quite your size exlogger but a southpaw as well.

There is more than enough length on my Wyoming Combo Holster to fit around even the biggest of fellows. When you order it you could additionally ask Von to add some extra length to the strap for a perfect fit.

CraigC

Hawkeye
They're a big sixgun but not 'that' big. I carried a 3rd Model Dragoon all last season in a crossdraw California Slim Jim without complaint and it's nearly a pound heavier. Nor do I find 7½" - 8" barrels objectionable. I can do a strongside or crossdraw Threepersons for an iron sighted Super.

Like this one for an N-frame.

IMG_1694b.jpg

MaxP

Buckeye
For a big revolver like a 7 1/2-inch SRH, I love my 7X Lether chest rig. Very comfortable.

7xholster.jpg

Hugh3006

Bearcat
Hand cannons on a belt? You best get a hell of a set of suspenders and one large double sewn belt or you will look like a gang banger in Chicago with your britches down around your knees.
Diamond D out of Alaska makes one hell of a chest rig that is easy on and off. Priced at $160 plus shipping. Check out the cost of a quality double sewn belt, $100, and a quality holster, $80. Plus, you will have to draw up the belt so tight your kidneys will be popping out the bottom of your trousers.

CraigC

Hawkeye
BS. Even a standard 7½" Bisley .44 goes 51oz and a Super Redhawk the same length is only slightly heavier. My .480 is only 1oz heavier. That 6" 29 above is only 4oz lighter. If you can't carry that much weight on your gunbelt, you might as well stay home.

MaxP

Buckeye
It's not a weight issue for me, the bulk of a 7 1/2-inch barreled revolver with an optic makes me rather carry it in a chest or shoulder rig. If someone has trouble with the weight, I would suggest another hobby. :mrgreen:

Hugh3006

Bearcat
I got on six gun leather and I only missed the price of a holster by $10. That is pretty good. With the britches around the knees and a little under 6,000 posts the time element would preclude any hunting.

astringer

Bearcat
simplyrugged.com Custom made, reasonably priced and built for lots of use. Their Sourdough pancake is made for strong side, crossdraw or can be ordered with a Chestypuller system that puts the gun in the middle of your chest. Great leather and great folks to deal with.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Hugh3006 said:
I got on six gun leather and I only missed the price of a holster by $10. That is pretty good. With the britches around the knees and a little under 6,000 posts the time element would preclude any hunting.
I don't know how you're wearing your britches but you're obviously doing something wrong if you can't wear a sixgun and not lose them. Can you pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel?

Hugh3006

Bearcat
Simply Rugged and Diamond D offer some great chest holsters. Check out their sites. Their prices are both very competitive and and their quality appears to be top notch. Enjoy. :lol: