Suggestions for best way to clean gun residue?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

spacecoast

Bearcat
I have a Mini-Thirty, and the gun residue at the gas port is a pain in the neck to clean off.
Anyone here have any suggestion hw to loosen up that gunk? I have used nitros solvent and it get some of it off, but not everything.

I have the stainless model and have read/heard to be careful with Hopps on some of the shiny parts, although this stainless is far from shiny.

I use cheap East Block ammo (Brown Bear and surplus Yugo stuff).

Bonus question:
Is it recommended that I try to polish the stainless to a luster instead of the dull look it has now?

Thanks for all replies!

montanaboy

Bearcat
spacecoast said:
I have a Mini-Thirty, and the gun residue at the gas port is a pain in the neck to clean off.
Anyone here have any suggestion hw to loosen up that gunk? I have used nitros solvent and it get some of it off, but not everything.

Ever try Dunk Kit?

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/dunkkitart.shtml

spacecoast

Bearcat
Never did try, and submersing the entire barrel may not be an option. I'll see if any of this is available locally and I can try in a few non-visible spots first.

Thanks Montana!

montanaboy

Bearcat
spacecoast said:
Thanks Montana!

You are very welcome.

BTW - This stuff works great for me. The ad seems to indicate it is for handguns mostly but I found no problem in field stripping long guns and giving the action a good soak using the barrel like a handle.

I have used it many times on my Mini-14 with no problem... works like magic.

:D

welder

Buckeye
I've had pretty good luck with WD-40. I also use a product we have at my job called "Rust free". I clean mine often so it never gets too bad and I don't shoot the Russian ammo much. But usually a good toothbrush and WD-40 or Rem oil and time.

JimHnSTL

Single-Sixer
take some Kroil on a rag and wrap it around the barrel and let it soak in for a while. it will get underneath that stuff and lift it off the barrel. if it is really on there good just let that stuff sit on it for a while, the longer it sits the deeper it goes. once you have it completely clean then using good old johson paste wax will keep a barrier on the barrel to help from that stuff from getting such a hold on it. Flitz is good stuff BTW and will also leave a protective film on the barrel after buffing off.

spacecoast

Bearcat
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try each one of them till I find what works best for me.

The problem with the design of the Mini is, that it isn't easy to get into the nook and crannies where the stock seats in the front. I can get the gunk off the piston and the barrel, but that pesky area by the gas port is a pain in you-know-what.

I guess I was hoping for a magical odorless solution, that would lift all the GR after I spray it on and let it sit for a few seconds, and didn't cost more than $1 for a 55Gl drum :D

Besides the above I am really lovin' my Mini-Thirty!

Latest posts