Sturm Ruger & Company Reserve SN# Program ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

correct, Steve Vogel was of the "same mindset" of that, like Mr.Roy Jinks of S&W..............someone must take the bull by the horns, Steve, as well as Nancy Padua, were just that as Rod says, "the driving force", the later ones, "in charge", have failed miserably, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,
has ANYONE received ANY info, call or letter ?????? so much for words.................... :(

Gee, kinda like the weather, very one talks about it, but cannot do anything about....... 8)

eveled

Hawkeye
Not only do the collectors tend to trade and sell among themselves, but they also tend to bash the new models. "they ruined it by adding the hammer block", "I'll never buy a gun with an internal lock", "the old models are so much better", and on and on.

It is no wonder to me that Ruger doesn't cater to the collectors. In Bill Ruger's mind he was making tools not collectibles.

Also I think the letters and phone calls got abused with every body and their brother wanting every other gun documented no matter how common.

Like I said if it costs them money, I don't want to pay more for my next Ruger so somebody can have their letter. Ed

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
It appears you have described the "science of individual differences", and some of us rather enjoy the things and processes not important to you. I suggest there is room for all of us. I know WBR did not have much time for us collectors. He told me so in very colorful language at the 1983 NRA annual mtgs in Phoenix, advising that none of us collectors' parents were married. Strangely, while he is noted in Wilson's book (Bill) " Ruger and his Guns", to not be a collector and that everything he had was for sale, he seemed to have one hell of a lot of guns and "stuff" many of us would love to own............Just sayin' 8)

contender

Ruger Guru
Splitz is right. While Bill cussed us,, he sure did have a serious collection of stuff himself. Remember the Christie's Auction of his estate? Can we say he had cars, paintings, artwork etc. not to mention many old guns?

radicalrod

Hunter
Well if it wasn't for "COLLECTORS" taking so many guns OFF THE MARKET.....

The factory wouldn't need to make new ones :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seems we help each other....

Well as for the letters....sure when they were free I think we abused the privilege....

So charge $10 to $20 dollars and you could make money off the deal...

Colt charges $75 to $150 then if they find anything special they charge you a "BONUS FEE" depending on who or where they sent the gun......they have a 90 to 100 plus day wait or for an extra $100 they will "expedite" your letter ......

Just shutting things down is very short sighted....YMMV....RR

Ruger168

Blackhawk
Bill Ruger was not a collector, he was an accumulator of fine things. I once built a shipping crate for a $50,000 gun that he gave to a friend as a thank you for the use of his private jet. He could have used Net Jets for $15,000 but did not want to pay them that much. Go figure. He had little use for gun collectors and didn't mind saying so but he did appreciate the fact that we were loyal to his brand. From my experience with the records dept. they never cared how many letters they did and were happy to do them. Most did not take a lot of work after they moved them to NH because they had a better system in place to find the info they needed. The head of the dept. at that time encouraged me to get the letters. All in all I think the current administration at Ruger only looks at the near future and not the big picture, they are looking at numbers and don't care where the number come from as long as they come. They don't have the appreciation of their customers that Bill did.

contender

Ruger Guru
Howard is right. Bill wasn't a "true collector" but more of an accumulator. Just like most of us who own Rugers! Even hard core collectors have an accumulation of many other things as well!
And if we who collect or accumulate,, remove guns from the market,,, we are creating a demand for more. I know I'm guilty of that myself!