Stuck nipple removal on Ruger old Army

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pauljr2

Bearcat
I purchased a nice R.O.A. at a gunshop, but when I started removing the nipples to give the gun a good cleaning, I was unable to remove two of the nipples. Any suggestions as how to remove them without drilling the nipples out and using an easy out? :(

G2

Hunter
Sounds like your trying to save the nipple? Probably not worth it.

I have had this same problem, Vice up the cylinder good & tight, take a center punch and give em a good whack (within reason), this will usually bust em loose.

Old plumber friend taught me this method. You can soak it pentrating oil forever still wont bust loose, give it a whack and bust's loose, too easy. :roll: Bolts, Pipes, and nipples.

I would use some common reason & strength here,,, not everything you got. :idea:

Old No7

Bearcat
Try penetrating oil (Kroil is a great one), but also put it into an oven for about a 1/2 hour at 275 to 300 degrees -- hot enough to heat the metal, but not do any damage or anything.

Then after that time, "whack" the side of the cylinder hard with a wood block. Also whack the top of the nipple too, then after "all is whacked" (seriously!) and it's still hot/warm to the touch -- try her again.

I've had to do this to two old BP used revolvers, and it's worked for me each time. A machinist at work told me those tricks. It does work!

Salvaging the nipple, by the way, is far less important than just getting the dang thing out!

Good luck!

Old No7

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
Don't use the factory wrench. Get a proper fitting socket (3/16) and you can get some good torque on those nipples.

Kanook

Buckeye
If it fails to work, (mine were stuck in bad) send to Clements.

He gets $10 to remove per nipple. And while it's there, have him backbore your chambers for $50.

I sent him my cylinder and 3 weeks later he e-mailed saying it was done. If the nipple comes out with no force he doesn't charge for it. I had 5 that were stuck bad and was charged for 3 to be removed.

I bought the ROA being told it was ready to go and when it arrived the nipples were frozen/stuck/rusted/neglected in.

pauljr2

Bearcat
After trying all remidies that were suggested and nothing worked, I thought that I would try again to remove the stuck nipples in my Old Army. I found a 4.5 mm socket that would fit tighter on the hex head of the nipples than the Ruger wrench. With the tighter fit, I had no trouble removing the nipples from the cylinder. :D