Ruger old army conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ironclad6gun

Bearcat
Im in need of some advice as to how i would convert a new model super blackhawk frame to a ruger old army(blued model) or if it even would possible ive looked around and found nothing concrete as to how i would go about doing this any help would be great

Here ya go. Look closely at the shape of the frames.

IMG_0852.jpeg
IMG_0851.jpeg

Last edited:
I know guys that load up black powder cartridges for their Super Blackhawks and shoot them regularly with no problem. They just know to clean it after every shooting session of black powder. They say it gives them the best of both worlds. So....

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Ruger put an old army steel frame on my OM Blackhawk for me and reblued the gun. I do not know what about a super Blackhawk.

Ironclad6gun

Bearcat
I know guys that load up black powder cartridges for their Super Blackhawks and shoot them regularly with no problem. They just know to clean it after every shooting session of black powder. They say it gives them the best of both worlds. So....
I prefer to shoot 45acp smokeless from my old army personally. I dont much care for black powder

Ok, I guess I need clarification. Are you talking about putting an Old Army grip frame on your Super Blackhawk? Or about remodeling the main frame of a Super Blackhawk into a cap and ball "Old Army".

I ask because it sounds like you're proposing to change a cartridge firing revolver into a cap and ball revolver, then using a conversion cylinder to shoot .45acp cartridges out of it.

Installing an Old Army grip frame on your Super Blackhawk is doable fairly easily compared to modifying a Super Blackhawk into a cap and ball Old Army.

Sgt Duncan

Bearcat
Im in need of some advice as to how i would convert a new model super blackhawk frame to a ruger old army(blued model) or if it even would possible ive looked around and found nothing concrete as to how i would go about doing this any help would be great
If you are talking main frame then too much work/expense
If you are talking grip frame then check with RW Grip Frames. They will have just what you are looking for

Ironclad6gun

Bearcat
Ok, I guess I need clarification. Are you talking about putting an Old Army grip frame on your Super Blackhawk? Or about remodeling the main frame of a Super Blackhawk into a cap and ball "Old Army".

I ask because it sounds like you're proposing to change a cartridge firing revolver into a cap and ball revolver, then using a conversion cylinder to shoot .45acp cartridges out of it.

Installing an Old Army grip frame on your Super Blackhawk is doable fairly easily compared to modifying a Super Blackhawk into a cap and ball Old Army.
I found the answers im looking for i am trying convert a new model frame to an old model gun(ruger old army) to which i have a conversion cylinder in to shoot 45acp(standard ball ammo) out of

Ironclad6gun

Bearcat
If you are talking main frame then too much work/expense
If you are talking grip frame then check with RW Grip Frames. They will have just what you are looking for
I checked out rw grips they are working on a conversion trigger to convert a new model frame to old model guns. They have a bisely new model conversion already but thats not what im after

Sgt Duncan

Bearcat
I have a Super Blackhawk grip frame with wood grips that came off a 3 screw gun. This is the square back trigger guard and has the hole behind the trigger for the plunger and spring. Whoever had this before me had it ceracoted with a brass color but that can be buffed off and reblued. I would take $100 shipped if interested

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If you want to put a New model SBH square back dragoon grip frame on an old Army, you don't have to get a custom trigger. There's a simple way to do it permanently or temporarily until the custom adapter trigger is available. All you need is a .22 long rifle case for your old army trigger to work. The new model grip frame has two trigger spring pins. Remove the new model spring but leave both pins in the grip frame. File a groove in the bottom of the.22 case, install the old model trigger spring and plunger in the case, set it in the grip frame nestled against the front trigger spring pin and assemble the grip frame on the old army. If you want a wide trigger to fill the new model grip frame slot, use an old model super BH trigger.

If what you're saying is that you want an old army size grip frame, XR3-RED size, grip frame for your new model Super Blackhawk, your don't need to convert an old model or an old army grip frame.

Ruger makes the new model steel grip frame in that exact size. It comes on the new model Super Blackhawk with 5 1/2" barrel. Just buy one from Ruger or find a used one and screw it on.

If you have an old model/old army grip frame you want to put on your new model SBH, yes you can easily convert it. There's two things you need to do:
1. Drill a hole in the the grip frame for the cylinder latch return spring and plunger to match the hole in your NM SBH grip frame and use your NM spring and plunger.
2. Grind off the little shelf behind your SBH trigger and use the old model/old army trigger return spring and plunger.

Last edited:

Ironclad6gun

Bearcat
If you want to put a New model SBH square back dragoon grip frame on an old Army, you don't have to get a custom trigger. There's a simple way to do it permanently or temporarily until the custom adapter trigger is available. All you need is a .22 long rifle case for your old army trigger to work. The new model grip frame has two trigger spring pins. Remove the new model spring but leave both pins in the grip frame. File a groove in the bottom of the.22 case, install the old model trigger spring and plunger in the case, set it in the grip frame nestled against the front trigger spring pin and assemble the grip frame on the old army. If you want a wide trigger to fill the new model grip frame slot, use an old model super BH trigger.

If what you're saying is that you want an old army size grip frame, XR3-RED size, grip frame for your new model Super Blackhawk, your don't need to convert an old model or an old army grip frame.

Ruger makes the new model steel grip frame in that exact size. It comes on the new model Super Blackhawk with 5 1/2" barrel. Just buy one from Ruger or find a used one and screw it on.

If you have an old model/old army grip frame you want to put on your new model SBH, yes you can easily convert it. There's two things you need to do:
1. Drill a hole in the the grip frame for the cylinder latch return spring and plunger to match the hole in your NM SBH grip frame and use your NM spring and plunger.
2. Grind off the little shelf behind your SBH trigger and use the old model/old army trigger return spring and plunger.
Im trying to fit a new model grip frame to an old army revolver. Thank you for your in depth post

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm glad to see Hondo's post. It's good info.

I too was confused about your intentions when I read your posts. It's a simple mis-understanding because of terminology.
There is the "main frame" which is the serial numbered part and houses the cylinder. Then, there is the "grip frame" which attaches to the main frame.

Since you are trying to fit a New Model, grip frame,, to an existing Old Army,, that uses the Old Model trigger return spring assy, it's not a complicated or hard conversion.
Hondo mentions using a spent .22 Rf case to be used as a trigger return spring "socket" that's similar to the Old Army/Old Model ones.
Here's another direction to do the same thing.
You can make an adapter to fit in the New Model trigger spring channel that works very well. I've made several over the years. If you want to go that route, look at the pictures of one here;

002.JPG

Now,, not shown (easily,) is the hole drilled into the square end for the return spring to fit into. The angled part is for the contour angle of the hammer strut/spring assy. The small hole is to be used to hold the adapter in place,, via the hole in the grip frame where the pin for the legs of the NM trigger spring would hook. The odd opening in the adapter in the top is just where the drill bit got a little off as it was being drilled.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 33

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
a bit of advice, when discussing custom mods like this always prefix the word "frame" with "grip" or "cylinder", this way we will be able to understand what you want.
So, as I understand it, you want to add a new model SBH grip frame to and Old Army cylinder frame? Is this because you prefer the SBH grip and already have a SBH grip frame from a new model?

The Old Army uses the same trigger system as the old models, I think it would be easier to sell your NM SBH grip frame and just buy an old model SBH grip frame.

If you just want something different, you could convert a Colt 1851 or 1860 (larger) brass grip frame (from an Italian made copy). If interested I can post more pictures and explanation

IMG_0421.JPG