Stolen Ruger Old Army 145-30544

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Crytot

Single-Sixer
I am not sure where to put this on the forum.
This gun was stolen while it traveled through the Chicago post office.
Long sad story but if you see it somewhere I would like to know about it.

Poncho53

Blackhawk
Not a week goes by that I don't think about this. The thieving scumbag also got my brothers christmas gift from me which was from Brownells...

Sad.

Unfortunately, boxes of a certain size, shape, and weight would seem to be worthy of "attention" from certain unscrupulous individuals in the postal system, particularly in larger metro areas.

I would never mail a gun, even though it were legal to do so with a percussion-type piece.

:roll:

montana outfitters

Single-Sixer
post the serial number.................you never know where or when it turns up......you got nothing in the world to loose so don't get paranoid disclosing a number to something totally out of your control........nothing ventured/ nothing gained

WoodyS

Single-Sixer
I never identify that a firearm is in the box, especially a handgun going thru UPS or FED-EX. That is just foolish and asking for it to be stolen. Both carriers are well known for gun theft as they travel thru their systems...which is why they required handguns be shipped next/2nd day air...which in of itself is only marginally safer...but you get to pay the hefty tab to protect yourself from their thieving employees. Sorry for the loss though.

Flash

Buckeye
Most sorting facilities don't have federal employees, they have temporary agency employees and just like anywhere else, there is no consequence to be paid for even the most severe infraction. They all probably had a laugh at 2am while it was walked out to someone's car.

Joseywales

Bearcat
I have to agree with Jim Luke. Check forums, gunbroker, etc. Im sure tons is conservative.

My biggest issue lately has been damaged shipments of guns and other items. FedEx was handing me a box, when they dropped it down my concret steps. A pistol shipped through the USPS that tore through the box - that was mostly the shipping dealer's fault and even though he didn't insure it, he covered the cost of the damage. UPS - Another gun had the rear site smashed on it. UPS - A box of promotional mugs not only 15 mugs damaged, the 5 boxe shipment left sitting in the rain, when there is a covered porch.

I look forward to Amazon dropping pistols from drones :mrgreen:

THE GUNSMITH

Blackhawk
Be sure and check with Postal Inspector in all facilities it went through. I lost an SP101 in Dayton, Ohio and it was found in Cincinnati traveling loose down a conveyor belt. Postal authorities do not communicate well between facilities, but I got lucky and ATF tracked me down as the owner.

Crytot

Single-Sixer
Here is how it went with the post office.

1. I filled out my insurance claim and mailed it off with my documentation as to value, a detailed description of the item, including the fact that it was a black powder pistol.
2. They promptly denied my claim and threatened to file charges against me for shipping a firearm. Since I had broken the law, they would not pay the claim.
3. I countered with their own regulations and definitions that clearly state that black powder weapons are not firearms per there definition. I sent them their own regulations and then requested them to pay the claim since their only reason for denying my claim was that I had shipped a firearm.
4. Some time passed and they sent me a letter requesting that I send them proof of the value, pictures, etc. The same stuff I sent them the first time. What I failed to notice was that they gave me only seven days to answer them or the claim would be void.
5. I gathered and copied the information they requested again and sent it to them but I was ten days out.
6. My claim was denied. Period.

My mistake for missing the arbitrary seven day response time. This whole deal took about two and a half months. You can't even file a claim until 30 days after the loss. That gives their thieves plenty of time to get it off of the premises.

The insurance program is a joke. It reminds me of the "Rainmaker" book and movie. Deny deny deny then settle.

Coogs

Maximum
Right. Go after the postal inspector and inform him/her, remind them/inform them of their own rules regarding just what you posted. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. I'd just keep hammering them. I wouldn't let it rest, contact your congressman or rep, don't let it go, stay after them. Keep us informed of your progress. I wish you luck, don't give up, Coogs.

KEYBEAR

Bearcat
Years ago a Remington Shotgun was sold from me by U.P.S. I took me three weeks of phone calls until I called the ATF . U.P.S. found the people that took the Shotgun and they have been back out of jail for some time now . What they would were doing is load trucks at night with little supervision . If they found a box that fit the size and weight they would x-ray it to see if it was a gun . I got the money back ($1800.00) in the end .

hawk_driver

Single-Sixer
I sold a really nice Win 94AE in 307 Win a few years ago on another forum. Shipped UPS. Followed the tracking until it went out for delivery one morning. It never arrived at the gunshop it was headed to. Called UPS the next day. Was told it would take 7 days for it to be declared as lost. Finally, after 7 days, I filed a claim. Had to provide pics, other like guns to prove value and a copy of the post where I sold it. They did pay up, but it was a PITA. I also called the ATF in that region and talked to an agent. I finally told him that I didnt think he was taking this too seriously, as it made it on the truck, shouldnt be too hard to determine who took it. Had to be the guy that scanned it as on the truck, or the driver. He told me that so many guns were stolen from UPS and other carriers, that they didnt treat it like a big deal. Never got it back or heard about it again.

coastie

Bearcat
Some ATF agents are not too sharp, some are "too Sharp".
[In my opinion]
Neither of those will spend time on a single loss of a shipment.
Find a agent that is willing, and you may have something. Good luck!
[Guns? Why there are no guns here. But the 'Droids you are looking for were two farms over three nights ago!]