Standards of Living

Help Support Ruger Forum:

In the other topic of living outside the USA, some people commented on the standard of living and 3rd World countries. Right now, my wife is on a work trip in Mumbai, India. According to Wikipedia, there are 12 million people in Mumbai. Not sure if that is the city or city plus suburbs or not. Anyway, they took the day to do some humanitarian work. There is a company helping to install public bathrooms in a poor neighborhood. The women of the neighborhood are fighting for the simple right to use an enclosed indoor bathroom, and not have to go in an alley or street.

My wife said it is a very humbling experience. Not to get up on a soap box, but I'm posting this because it does make one stop and realize there are problems and then actual life problems. For example, if an Amazon order is delayed, or a store doesn't have a certain flavor of cereal; vs. life in the Mumbai slums.

Dfw3sfYl.jpg

qUxiNW3l.jpg

1HQ5qC4l.jpg

916AWcbl.jpg

Chief 101

Hunter
I spent time in SE Asia and my mind goes back every time I hear someone whining about the non-issues in life...we do have it somewhat easy here

Interesting too...
The tentacles of the European Empires surrounded the globe in the previous centuries.

Pacific islands, the Caribbean, Central America, North Africa, Asia, just some of the places that were very well to do and enjoyed all the advancement Europe had to offer at one time, now, have divorced themselves from colonial rule, and most have fallen into third world squalor.

So, I am not advocating the control that Europe had taken from many of these original countries and islands, but when these same countries and islands kicked their European rulers out, they were no longer able to take care of themselves. Sometimes folks should step back and understand the ramifications of what they've hoped for.

History is history. That part wont change. And blame is not part of the discussion. Many of these places flourished under colonial rule, only to completely collapse when colonial rule ended.

I am not defending or attacking colonization. But it happened. What is the answer?

Don Lovel

Hunter
Awhile back some Indian politicians were cozy with Hillary and running their mouths about Trump.
In a country where people crap along side the street and dead bodies pile up in the river.
Those same politicians pushing a nuclear weapon program in India.
Those same politicians heavily involved in corruption, the Clinton Foundation, human trafficking, etc.

They need that literal coke and a smile, sit down and STFU, and next time she visits, feel free to keep Hillary

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
WAYNO said:
I am not defending or attacking colonization. But it happened. What is the answer?.

Hi,

It's not THE answer, since the problem is far too complex for a single answer solution. But... whether it's climate change (a real thing, though man's influence on it is suspect. Still, if affects man regardless of how it's caused), the entire 3rd World, or the microcosmic sections of it in the the First World (Kevin's picture could come from Los Angeles, Denver, Tucson, or a hundred other cities in this country with large homeless populations), there's a unifying undercurrent: over population. The earth has limited resources, and we can use them up faster than they can be replaced, hence one of the drivers of the entire colonial movement emrges. If we live within the limits of those resources, be they clean water, arable land, or many others, we can maintain a far better standard of living than we can if we simply use and waste them as if they'll never run out. They will!

Decades ago, perhaps around the time of the first Earth Day in April, 1970, I saw a comment in an article about our environment and what was happening to it. The comment is just as valuable today at it was then: "The people who should reproduce don't. And the people who shouldn't reproduce, do so in huge numbers."

If we look around ourselves, I think that statement kinda proves itself...

Rick C

Most of "those people" are living the same way they did in the 1800's. Blame their country's leadership for the living conditions now. I accept no blame nor can I see that assistance will change the situation significantly.
"IT IS THEIR WAY OF LIFE" As mentioned, any attempt to improve their living conditions, health, or nutrition will only result in increasing the population until they end up right back where they are now. Sorry, that's just the way I see it.

Your welcome. I wasn't trying to push some agenda or anything like that. I was just proud of my wife for doing this project.

I didn't say it in my first post, but she did take those pictures, yesterday I guess with the time difference. It's 11 and a half hours difference from Dallas.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
Personal and public hygiene is a good measurement of "standards of living." People who spent time in Japan after the Perry Expedition and the Meiji restoration noted their high standards, one observed said of the Japanese soldiers in the Russo-Japanese War that they were "cleanly." In the Spring of 1814 Winfield Scott insisted on high standards for his brigade on the Niagara frontier, weekly bathing, when they set of for campaign in July, 1814 he had a sick roster of 10 or so.

volshooter

Buckeye
From what I see on the tube California has as much problems. Hard to believe with the US boom.
At least in third world countries the populations have no choice.

Wish them the best...…

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
My wife said it is a very humbling experience. Not to get up on a soap box,
but I'm posting this because it does make one stop and realize there are problems
and then actual life problems. For example, if an Amazon order is delayed, or a
store doesn't have a certain flavor of cereal; vs. life in the Mumbai slums.
I believe I understand what you are saying, but there are many reasons for what
happens here vs what happens in a third world country. The single largest item is
that there is NOT one item that will correct the problem. In fact, not a dozen things
that will correct the problem(s?). Phrased yet another way, there are a plethora of
solution that need be investigated to even come close to finding a solution.

While we investigate those potential solutions, what about the very similar problems
here in the United States?! . ! . !
What are we doing that will help, alleviate, improve, the problems experienced by
United States citizens, in place of expending monies/dollars/resources outside of
OUR country? Altruistic solutions are GREAT, if they also cure problems within the
United States!

Please don't get me wrong, your wife is doing MANY good things to help the people
of another country, but I find it hard to not have equal compassion for our citizens.

It always amazes and humbles me when I see the scarifies people will do to try and help others... it is one of the few saving graces of humanity. With all the the wrong things we do as people, this shows there is still hope for us. Tallbad, thank here from me for what she is doing.

Quiet 1

Single-Sixer
Pat-inCO said:
Kevin said:
. . . . . . . . . The single largest item is that there is NOT one item that will correct the problem. In fact, not a dozen thingsthat will correct the problem(s?). Phrased yet another way, there are a plethora of solution that need be investigated to even come close to finding a solution.

While we investigate those potential solutions, what about the very similar problems here in the United States? , , , , , What are we doing that will help, alleviate, improve, the problems experienced by United States citizens, in place of expending monies/dollars/resources outside of OUR country? Altruistic solutions are GREAT, if they also cure problems within the United States! . . . . . . .
Bullseye! Spot on, Pat. I sure wish this forum had a"like" option, so I could "Like" this post. Very well articulated, amigo.

bobski

Hunter
we have what it takes solve the world problems.
but left' doesn't want to solve them.
if they were solved, they wouldn't have a platform.

ever notice how when one major issue gets solved, another crops up?

gasbag

Blackhawk
We don't even have what it takes to solve our own problems.
But we are building our very own 3rd world cities now
so we have that going for us.