80th Anniversary of D-Day

Help Support Ruger Forum:

June 6, 2024

Here I am, 66 years old, and I'm watching the Band of Brothers for the umpteenth time. I am reminded of meeting several of the BOBs at various locations when I lived in Pennsylvania, going to gun shows and World War 2 days in Reading, Pennsylvania.

Today is the 80th anniversary of the D-Day invasion of Europe on June 6, 1944. I was reminded again of the greatest generation. I remember their sacrifice, their brotherhood, and their commitment to their duty.

I am crying.

As Winston Churchill said, "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." I know he said this during the Battle of Britain, but his words resonate for me about the greatest generation.

I met many veterans throughout the years and have personally thanked them. Wild Bill Gaurnere, Babe Heffron, Buck Compton, Forrest Guth, Don Malarkey, Shifty Powers, and many others.

I even met Paul Tibbits, Rosie the Riveter, R. Lee Ermey, Sid Phillips, Dick Cole, several Tuskegee Airmen, and Bud Anderson.

My dad, Erling Larsen, passed earlier this year. He served on the USS Rupertus, DD-851, and was a Gearing-class destroyer of the United States Navy, named for United States Marine Corps Major General William H. Rupertus (1889–1945). My Dad's death and the patriots that went before him have made a tremendous impact on me, and continues to do so.

There's not many World War 2 vets left.

Always Remember. Never Forget. Protect your future.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
My brother made these photos. I dound them after the death of my nephew (his oldest son) and neve had seen them before:

On the back of this one my brother noted, "Take Off D-Day"

On the back of this one he noted "Safe, anyway."

My brother was squardon clerk, 338th FS, 55th FG, 8th Air Force.

Bob Wright

Dad was in the Merchant Marines during the beginning of World War II. He's taken many a cargo load between the United States and Britain as the radio communications officer. I have photos of him and ship that he was on somewhere around here. He went to the army air corps flying school to be a pilot but injurie from an accident caused his disqualification . He served as communications officer, until his retirement in 1963. The last three years tour, he took us with him to England, where we were able to experience the country 15 years after the war where most buildings had not been rebuilt and a lot of damage was still evident.

dannyd

Hunter
The guy's that went to the 50th anniversary brought this back for me.

A18D4CE3-494A-441F-9E8C-9911AAF62279.jpeg

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
General Eisenhower wrote an "incase of failure" letter taking all blame if the offensive was unsuccessful.
What a contrast to our "leaders" now days☹️

1717702231548.png

"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

I'm the son of. WWII veteran. Dad rarely spoke of it. But I remember waking at night to anguished screams. Military veterans have always paid a price that others will never understand. And that lack of understanding, heck even outright mistreatment by non veterans made things even worse.

None of my uncles ever spoke about it either. I think they wanted to forget what was truly unforgettable.

Today's vets do get much better understanding and support than any previous generation. But still only those who have been there understand.

Maybe that's the way it should be, protecting the masses from those horrors. But it shouldn't be. They really need to know.

On the 50th anniversary of D-Day there were veterans of the 82nd and 101st Airborne that jumped into Normandy again. I know a French paratrooper who jumped in with them paired with a man from the 82nd. He told me that he had a great time and he remained friends with the Americans that he jumped with until they were gone. He actually came here for one of their funerals. He is 51 now and was wounded in Africa during one of the French military actions there in the 1990's.

In Sam Fuller's autobiography he only used 3 pages to explain D-Day... he was in the Big Red One and his company was the third wave....
He starts out by saying that by then the Germans had gotten the range down.....

that famous picture of Eisenhower talking to the Rangers... I remember in the movie where Tom Selleck played Ike... he has just been told by his information people that it was expected that all those Rangers were going to be killed before they got to their objective.