SS vaquero frame rust

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigshep85

Bearcat
Any experience with stainless vaquero's frame rust? Got it with an old model birdshead I bought and it has some pretty good rust spots on it. What could cause this?

shorty500m

Bearcat
contamination! stainless can and will rust, various grades of stainless offer different degrees on resistance. here's the real trick to watch for, grinding, polishing, filing a stainless part with tool that has been used on carbon steel- you wind up leaving behind carbon steel molecules imbedded in the stainless that begin to rust over time

ADP3

Single-Sixer
After you remove the rust (a penetrating oil like Kroil and a toothbrush will do it) pacify the surface where the rust was with a protective barrier like Boeshield or Renaissance Wax to keep the rust from returning. With summer humidity approaching keep an eye on it and don't store it a gun rug or foam-lined case that can hold moisture.

Best Wishes,
ADP3

bigshep85

Bearcat
This isn't ordinary toothebrush rust or even steel brush rust. It is bubbled needs to he sanded rust. I cant figure out pictures on here or I would post one. I have contacted Ruger to check and see what they say.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Sorry to hear about the lunar landscape rust. I've used a Dremel tool and polishing wheels with jewelers rouge to smooth out patches. A beadblast may be the best option if it's extensive. I've seen some nice even finishes come out after beadblasting. Robar may be a firm that you want to check with. They offer several corrosion resistant finishes too.

Best Regards,
ADP3

olyinaz

Bearcat
If it's red bubbled rust it's likely not a stainless part. Stainless tends to rust dark and not deep or bubbled. Wouldn't be the first time an incorrect part got tossed into the wrong bin at the Ruger factory, or perhaps the gun has had some work and the previous owner substituted carbon steel parts where stainless should be.

Just guessing though, some pictures would help.

Oly

sousana

Single-Sixer
Virtually all of my weapons have been metaloyed for just this reason. In any event, after a weapon has been cleaned and oiled, I seal them in a medical grade vacuum seal bag. In the 30 years I've been doing this, I've never had an issue with rust.

Yes, finishing can get expensive, but if you send in 3 or more, you can often get a "bundle" price.

I've got a gun, and I use that term lightly, a Llama 1911 I purchased back in the 80's, 3 gunsmiths couldn't get that $335 hunk a metal to work. Recently, a few months back, I had the entire weapon metaloyed and its been buried out back now since. Dig it up once a week to see how long its gonna last, expensive test yes, but I did try getting rid of it at one gunshow, for free, but no takers. I was gonna make a desk clock out of it, but looking at it daily would have been a reminder of its failure.

bigshep85

Bearcat
Talked to Ruger just now and of course they said "send it in and we will fix it"
Odd thing though came up during the conversation with the CS rep
He said "so it is a new model blaxkhawk"
I said no it is an old model 45 vaquero.
He says but it says blackhawk on the firearm somewhere.
So I again corrected him. He said that it told him on the computer that the serial number brought up a new model blackhawk.
Must be because the new vaqueros are on smaller frames and in order to repair they must use new model blackhawk parts.
I have to ship on my dime but thats ok I guess

contender

Ruger Guru
Glad to hear that Ruger is going to look at it & fix it. SOme of the confusion about which one it is stems from Ruger themselves. They do not call the original Vaquero's "Old Models" but rather just "Vaquero's." Then there is the "New Vaquero." The original Vaquero's use the same frame size as the Blackhawk so there is where some of the confusion is. Either way, once they get it, it will be fixed.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
There's several threads on this forum about stainless Rugers rusting. One statement from Ruger is especially interesting: carbon particles are embedded in the stainless steel during our sandblasting process that will rust.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=186889&hilit=stainless+rusting

sousana

Single-Sixer
bigshep85 said:
Talked to Ruger just now and of course they said "send it in and we will fix it"
Odd thing though came up during the conversation with the CS rep
He said "so it is a new model blaxkhawk"
I said no it is an old model 45 vaquero.
He says but it says blackhawk on the firearm somewhere.
So I again corrected him. He said that it told him on the computer that the serial number brought up a new model blackhawk.
Must be because the new vaqueros are on smaller frames and in order to repair they must use new model blackhawk parts.
I have to ship on my dime but thats ok I guess

I had rusting issues with the "old" model vaquero id swapped a bit back, a 5.5" color case hardened, ruger took it back and blued it. The only other weapon I've had issues with rusting are my two amt hardballers.