SS convertible overstamp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not sure if anyone here bid on this but it was kind of an impulse buy from a reputable seller. Thought it would be a nice companion to my tri color. The overstamp is kind of unique, I wonder how often they let those go through like that? I don't think I got hurt on it but I have a feeling it's going to hurt if I'm lucky enough to find a box for it. I believe it's cataloged as an RSS4 but maybe someone can confirm otherwise. Either way it's a nice OM XR3. Hopefully will recieve it by the end of the week.

Last edited:

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
Sorry I hate to tell you this, but I don't think that is an over stamp.

The stamping dies were not square to the frame when it was struck leaving the indentations above the numbers.
If you look closely you will see that the stamp is deeper at the top then at the bottom.

I hope I'm wrong but I speak from over 40 years of machining experience, I worked my way up to a tool and model maker at IBM before they closed their doors.

Either way that is in awesome shape and still a great price.

I agree with 'rugerforme' and believe it is simply a "mis-positioned' stamp, as the term for "overstamp" I thought was when they "renumbered" and /or changed the digits, and as noted above that each numeral pictured has the heavy imprint of the stamping fixture (jig)...in the picture,,,,, nice gun and some great pictures.... (y) ;)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Very nice and the last year for the 1/8" horizontally shorter grip frame, the original XR3 grip frame size.
I agree the marks above the numbers are the edges of the individual number stamp dies. The gun or the die fixture was canted when struck.

wproct

Single-Sixer
That is a very desirable Single-six regardless of the serial number stamping. (y) I have a Ruger GP100 that I bought new in 2011 that has an interesting serial number stamp. On mine the last three numbers of the serial number run uphill. It's a defect but I think it is kind of neat.

hittman

Staff member
There's a number of serial number oddities if a fella wants to go crazy looking for variations.
Some of the Six Series double actions had smaller ( like 10/22 size? ) numbers stamped for a bit.
Some numbers are higher or lower than the rest in the group.
There's "D" and "S" too. Oh and maybe "U".
I've seen a rifle that instead of being 101-xxxxx it was 1 1-xxxxx.
A buddy had a Blackhawk that while not odd was unique with s/n 56789.
Then we can look for things like 12321 and 54345.

Latest posts