SR9C Jamming

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Just purchased new SR9C and put thru 100 rounds with jamming every 2-3 rounds. Used long and short mags no difference. Stripped and lubed after 50 rounds-no difference. Had stove pipe and jammed spent casings. What to do? Anyone experience this problem?

jhearne

Buckeye
Your probably not, but are you possibly limp-wristing it? Is the Extractor hook clean of debris as well?

Josh

Mike J

Hunter
What kind of ammunition were you using? I would try a different brand before I did anything else other than clean & lube.

koolaid

Bearcat
I just went threw the same thing with my P95 and tried everything i finally called Ruger and told them the problem they are sending me a shipping label today to send it back.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Two suggestions uncle mel, before you call Ruger:

Have another person shoot your gun and see if it happens, maybe a range officer.

Try different ammo

pb

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
MANY POSTERS HAVE MENTIONED LIGHT PRIMER HITS.
I took the SR9c gun apart when new, sprayed it a lot with Birchwood-Casey non-flammable Gun Scrubber, installed GHOST Ultimate 3.5# trigger, lightly polished the rails, slide and anything that looked critical, took apart and removed the magazine disconnect as per Josh Hearne, degunked and cleaned and oiled the inside of the striker "tunnel". Reassembled without the mainspring, oiled sliding surfaces and racked it back and forth by hand 300 times. Put in mainspring and cycled and dry-fired 300 times.
Then, I took it to the range and fired it 217 times (ran out of time and ammo) with mixed ammo, primarily Win White Box, some CorBon JHP.
It ran like a top; no burps or failures to feed or eject. Very accurate; ten shots in one inch from a quickly improvised rest at the range. No recoil problems of any kind.
I still have a thumb safety that is hanging up on the slide so difficult to engage, and the slide serrations are much too sharp for comfort.
Next time, I would buy the Ghost Rocket to get rid of overtravel.
I had read in this forum about so many problems that I thought I would overdo the preliminaries. It was well worth it to me. I used leather glove to do the slingshot so many times to keep meat on my fingers.
This is my estimate of my gun.
From what I've read from many posters about light primer hits, I'm guessing that the biggest culprit is the striker tunnel. Dissassemble it as per J. Hearne's instructions at this link: Follow instructions in the section to remove Mag disconnect.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=52057

Sonnytoo

offshorebear

Bearcat
I wouldn't lube the striker channel. It's just going to atract dirt and eventually cause a light strike. It's not a high pressure contact area, leave it dry.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I can't really argue that point, although the striker channel appears to be a pretty well-enclosed space and I doubt it would pick up much gunk. But leaving it clean and dry is probably fine; the operative term being "clean."

jhearne

Buckeye
Just an FYI, I put just over 1000 rounds through a Never Before Cleaned SR9 before I made the How-To. The original Mag DC Removal How To I made a while back was with a dirty gun. Never a misfire, or light strike. Always solid reliability.

Dry is probably better, as said above, moisture will attract more dirt, and keep it there. Though, in reality if your cleaning after each range session or two, and at max only putting 250 rounds through it, I'd think it'd be fine either way.

Josh

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Another reason not to lube your striker/firing pin channel is that if you overdo it the lube can drain down into the primer of the chambered round in your carry gun. That could make for a bad day.

-- Sam

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Sonnytoo":20kjrsvh said:
degunked and cleaned and oiled the inside of the striker "tunnel". Sonnytoo

Hey, guys, I didn't intend to say I soaked this thing in oil. I used the Birchwood-Casey to clean out the striker tunnel, then wiped off the striker with a rag to leave a light film of oil on it and reassembled. I was speaking in a general sense.
I gotta be more careful what I say.... You guys are supposed to know what I mean...even if I say it wrongly.
:) Sonnytoo

ohwell

Bearcat
I found the trigger and striker to be sticky on mine when I tore it down for the first cleaning before I shot it. I used Outers Trilube, breakfree would be close to the same, spray the trigger group and the striker and work them back and forth by hand. Mine were sticky than let it dry clean normally after that. I havent had a misfire and the trigger is very good now.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
Every time i clean my gun i clean the striker channel.
i take a Q tip and put some cleaner on it and put it all the way down the striker channel and start spinning it. I do that a few times and I get a TON of metal shavings ( brass from the primer being struck i guess) out. then I put a little lube on a fresh Q tip and do it once.
Mine goes bang every time.

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
I have to say (I exspect to be blasted) that when i brought my SR9 home I shot at least 100 rds thru it before i even feild stripped it & NO hiccups 8)
I brought home the wifes SR9C & so far 150 rds without even feild stripping & its "perfect" :D
Maybe ya'll cleaning too much :p

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Those are probably some of those Rev inaccurate types. :D

Any auto dirty to a degree can mess up.

That doesn't mean they all will.

tk

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
Texasgunner":23m7yvdi said:
I have to say (I exspect to be blasted) that when i brought my SR9 home I shot at least 100 rds thru it before i even feild stripped it & NO hiccups 8)
I brought home the wifes SR9C & so far 150 rds without even feild stripping & its "perfect" :D
Maybe ya'll cleaning too much :p

If it is cleaned and NOT lubed properly, you would be totally correct..., too clean:)

raw6464

Bearcat
All gun manufacturers with striker pistols that I know of recommend you DON'T lube the striker channel. There is no need to, oil in that tube will turn from lube to goop in a few rounds.

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
I agree, but DO use a DRY lube as I like everything lubed.
And YES, it will turn to "goop" if greased or oiled..., you are right about that.

When I recommended lubing the gun, what I mean is to lube it in (whatever company and gun) it is recommended to be lubed in.
The owners manual will show those points.
If you do not have one, one will be appointed to you..., er..., um, I mean the company will send you one, LOL!!

Latest posts