SR9c... GOT IT!!!!! **PIC UPDATE**

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
What one person would call ballless & stupid another might call wise & practical. There is always the task of dividing the wheat from the chaff so to speak but I tend to believe what I see most people post on the forums more than I do what I see in gun magazines that make most of their money off ads for manufacturers.
There seems to be a trend in the firearms industry & I don't just mean Ruger to use the buying public as beta testers. It makes good sense to me to wait a year or so before purchasing a new model.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Optical illusion or not .... that's pretty much as big as a full size 1911 rig from the looks of it. It doesn't fit well in that holster at all. I don't think I've ever seen a more awkward looking setup .... maybe it's not the right holster ??? It looks like just the tip of the gun is in it.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Mike J":r0xb20oi said:
What one person would call ballless & stupid another might call wise & practical.

Agreed ... about the only thing that would be 'stupid' is NOT taking into account a gun's ancestry when making a purchasing decision. Pretending like the 9C's design should yield different results than the original SR9 is kind of silly, when you think of it. How could anyone possibly blame someone for taking a wait-and-see approach to this new gun, or ANY Ruger new release for that matter. And finally, calling prudent thought prior to making a purchasing decision 'ball-less' is even more naive.

REV

mrme

Bearcat
How about we get back on topic now - or is this going to just become a usual Internet bashing session...

Everyone has opinions and everyone is entitled to type them - how about we just leave it at that.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Mike J":3351xyp9 said:
There seems to be a trend in the firearms industry & I don't just mean Ruger to use the buying public as beta testers. It makes good sense to me to wait a year or so before purchasing a new model.

+1. We agree on this one. First adopters (those who just have to have the first one) tend to be beta testers in most consumer goods.

Back to the regular channel, my local LGS banditos didn't even know about the SR9c, but then they have the regular SR9 in the case @ $550....

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ":1iqv8wz5 said:
they have the regular SR9 in the case @ $550....

I hope they really like that SR9, because they're going to have it to stare at for a long, long, time.

REV

kscott

Single-Sixer
Yea rev it's really kind of awkward looking in the serpa. I almost didnt put that pic up but I thought I might as well. It's really not as big as everyone tries to make it out to be. Honestly the specs are misleading when compared to other pistols but thaw just me. I doubt anybody is gonna open carry the SR9c without an extension but I just thought I'd show what it looked like.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
The SR9c is just about the same size as the compact Glocks, maybe a little smaller. Certainly much smaller than a full size 1911...

BB45C

Gunner70

Bearcat
ConradM":1hd0glf8 said:
mrme":1hd0glf8 said:
How do you remove the mag disconnect ? I can still pull my trigger when the mag is not in are there two different versions or does a round need to be chambered ?

:shock: You can damage your striker dry firing without the mag in. Read the how-to at the top of the main page to remove your mag DC.

:shock: :shock: I'm glad I found this forum, I had no idea that dry-firing without the mag could cause damage. I just got my SR9c yesterday and have dry-fired 2 or 3 times without the mag :shock: Hope I didn't tear it up before I even get to the range. Anyway good to be here on the forum, and here are some pics of the new babie.

Mike J

Hunter
I saw one today. They wanted 429.00 for it. The grip length was about the same size as a G-26. The barrel (slide length about the same as a G-19. Sorry for mentioning the Glocks but thats kinda the best way I know to describe it. Nice looking little piece. I'm not in the market to buy right now anyway but if I don't hear anything real negative I might would consider it one day if I ran across the right deal.

Gunner70

Bearcat
Mike J":afxb423d said:
I saw one today. They wanted 429.00 for it. The grip length was about the same size as a G-26. The barrel (slide length about the same as a G-19. Sorry for mentioning the Glocks but thats kinda the best way I know to describe it. Nice looking little piece. I'm not in the market to buy right now anyway but if I don't hear anything real negative I might would consider it one day if I ran across the right deal.

I carried it all day today with IWB holster, carries real nice, I especially like the slimness of it ,very comfortable carry gun. I'm hitting the range with it tomorrow, but for now I guess I should get a cup of coffee and read the owners manual a little closer. As far as guns go I own all kinds. I have 8 pistols and at least half of them are different brands. I'm not beholden to any one brand, they all have their Pros/Cons. I know that I really like this SR9 so far. BTW- I traded a Glock for the SR9C -- Thanks for the comments.

Mike J

Hunter
Reading the owners manual is always a good idea Gunner. I had never had a centerfire that it was a problem to dry fire until I bought a Kel Tec P-11 a while back. I dry fired it at the gunshow. Then dry fired it a little more at home. Then when I read the manual & they said it could damage the gun I got scared. I haven't had any problem due to that but it got my attention.

Gunner70

Bearcat
Yeah- I usually skim over the high points, of the manual and I did with this one as well, but never saw the part about dry-firing until I pulled it back out and read it. Oh well- hopefully will be off to the range sometime today.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Gunner70":32mituua said:
Mike J":32mituua said:
I carried it all day today with IWB holster, carries real nice, I especially like the slimness of it ,very comfortable carry gun. I'm hitting the range with it tomorrow, but for now I guess I should get a cup of coffee and read the owners manual a little closer.

You're carrying a gun you haven't shot yet? I'm fairly new to CCW but I've had the impression that a person should "qualify" a new to him weapon with at least several hundred rounds if not more to be sure it will go bang if it needs to.

When I felt I was ready to start carrying I actually started with an empty gun for a couple of days around the house and some trips around town to get the feel of the gun/holster.

Not questioning your methods G70, just curious.

BTW, the SR9 owners manual clearly says dry firing could harm the MSD not the striker.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I have a neighbor that's been carrying an LCP for about 3 months and he's never fired a round through it yet. He says it's a gun, it should shoot every time ... well .... OKAY then ....

REV

Mike J

Hunter
Folks like that scare me Rev. I have only carried for a couple of years but every gun I've ever gotten the first thing I wanted to do was go put some rounds through it & get comfortable with the controls.

Gunner70

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ":2327rsha said:
Gunner70":2327rsha said:
Mike J":2327rsha said:
I carried it all day today with IWB holster, carries real nice, I especially like the slimness of it ,very comfortable carry gun. I'm hitting the range with it tomorrow, but for now I guess I should get a cup of coffee and read the owners manual a little closer.

You're carrying a gun you haven't shot yet? I'm fairly new to CCW but I've had the impression that a person should "qualify" a new to him weapon with at least several hundred rounds if not more to be sure it will go bang if it needs to.

When I felt I was ready to start carrying I actually started with an empty gun for a couple of days around the house and some trips around town to get the feel of the gun/holster.

BTW, the SR9 owners manual clearly says dry firing could harm the MSD not the striker.

Yeah- I'am! I like to carry a new gun to see if I'm gonna like it. If I don't like it for carry there is no point in shooting it, because I will probably get rid of it. Like I stated in the thread I intend to go to the range with it today, I don't consider carrying for a day to get the feel of it an issue. I am not new to concealed carry, nor am I iresponsible with firearms. The very first thing I do with any new gun is learn it's basic operation and safety features. I missed the part about dry-firing, but now I know.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Gunner70":2gz8tikp said:
ArmedinAZ":2gz8tikp said:
Gunner70":2gz8tikp said:
Mike J":2gz8tikp said:

Yeah- I'am! I like to carry a new gun to see if I'm gonna like it. If I don't like it for carry there is no point in shooting it, because I will probably get rid of it. Like I stated in the thread I intend to go to the range with it today, I don't consider carrying for a day to get the feel of it an issue. I am not new to concealed carry, nor am I iresponsible with firearms. The very first thing I do with any new gun is learn it's basic operation and safety features. I missed the part about dry-firing, but now I know.

Why not just carry around the house? What if during your "test" carry you have to use it and it's a lemon? :shock:

I would put at least 200 rounds through a gun before I carried outside.