SR9c... GOT IT!!!!! **PIC UPDATE**

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CenterTree

Bearcat
I had mine "ordered" and it come in today, so I went to pick it up (but due to money issues I ended up putting it on layaway). Anyway I held it and I felt like a new Dad at the hospital nursery dept.
The sr9c seems hefty in weight to me. But the quality was good. I got the black alloy and it looks fine. As was mentioned already, the gun was very oily, but so be it.
I will be happy with the gun as long as it shoots great. I did notice (and not a big deal) that the mag extension actually has a color variation of black compared to the guns grip.
The slide release was fiercely tight I noticed. Definately need to pull back on the slide and push the release button at the same time. (didn't like that part) .
And the thumb safety was hard to engage, yet easy to release (so that's OK).
MAG release was PERFECT. :D
I will be paying $415 here in PA.
When I went to Gander Mt a few weeks ago no one there had the faintest idea about this gun,,,but my local "small" dealer was eager to get one in to sell.... and that was for me...yippy.

batmann

Single-Sixer
Just a couple of questions since I am thinking of getting an SR9
1--Will the 'improved' ttrigger make it way to the Full size?
2--Will the 'improved' mag latch make it as well?
3--If Ruger makes said changes, how can one tell?
I know it is hard for forum members to answer factory type questions, but if the change is coming, I am going to wait for the improvements.

ConradM

Blackhawk
batmann":3gjt0wmp said:
Just a couple of questions since I am thinking of getting an SR9
1--Will the 'improved' ttrigger make it way to the Full size?
2--Will the 'improved' mag latch make it as well?
3--If Ruger makes said changes, how can one tell?
I know it is hard for forum members to answer factory type questions, but if the change is coming, I am going to wait for the improvements.

The trigger yes, not sure about the mag release.

kscott

Single-Sixer
ConradM":2cwtfmfp said:
mrme":2cwtfmfp said:
How do you remove the mag disconnect ? I can still pull my trigger when the mag is not in are there two different versions or does a round need to be chambered ?

:shock: You can damage your striker dry firing without the mag in. Read the how-to at the top of the main page to remove your mag DC.
I do agree that it an cause damage, but the way I read the manual, the damage actually occurs to the mag DC. I didn't catch it the first time I read it, but it came to me at one time or another and when I reread it, it seems to make sense. Anybody else?

I took a look at the trigger mechanisms (still in the frame, just with the slide off, and they appear to be very, very similar. Really the only difference I can see is a couple of plastic parts that are slightly different. To me I don't see how these could change it. It must be something that I either can't see or something that I'm just plain missing.

Contender, thanks for the insight. Glad they put a lot of work into it.

ETA to clear up what I said about the trigger plastic changes... none of them look to have any significance that I can see. Clear as mud to everyone? :wink:

alienbogey

Bearcat
I'd sure like to hear from someone who has an SR-9 and gets a 9c to compare the triggers side by side.

I dry fired an SR-9C at the SHOT show and didn't think it was any better than my SR-9.

kscott

Single-Sixer
alienbogey":2xbu39at said:
I'd sure like to hear from someone who has an SR-9 and gets a 9c to compare the triggers side by side.

I dry fired an SR-9C at the SHOT show and didn't think it was any better than my SR-9, which was at home.

I've got both in hand right now. My SR9c trigger is definitely smoother where my SR9 has a little hitch right before it breaks. The SR9c also feels lighter than my SR9. The SR9 kinda squishes into a hitch then breaks, whereas the SR9c is really pretty smooth the entire way. Don't get me wrong my SR9 trigger isn't terrible, but the SR9c trigger definitely has a hand or two up on it.

mrme

Bearcat
If you want one buy it stop sweating it, more people have stated that the trigger is better, what more do you need to know if you don't like it sell it it won't be hard to get rid of trust me...

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
mrme":2p3ux839 said:
If you want one buy it stop sweating it, more people have stated that the trigger is better, what more do you need to know if you don't like it sell it it won't be hard to get rid of trust me...

Or you could wait a little bit until some people put enough shots downrange and report back that it's not beating itself apart. :wink:

Fingers crossed Ruger got this one right.

mrme

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ":3lfbe5hl said:
Or you could wait a little bit until some people put enough shots downrange and report back that it's not beating itself apart. :wink:Fingers crossed Ruger got this one right.

Let someone else do your dirty work - just not the right way to be if you want the gun buy it and then post up your results, Man - Up ...!!!

jhearne

Buckeye
mrme":tk10ske5 said:
ArmedinAZ":tk10ske5 said:
Or you could wait a little bit until some people put enough shots downrange and report back that it's not beating itself apart. :wink:Fingers crossed Ruger got this one right.

Let someone else do your dirty work - just not the right way to be if you want the gun buy it and then post up your results, Man - Up ...!!!

A lot of folks here are a bit gun-shy about any new SR__ pistol that may come out. I haven't had a bad experience with my SR9, and I would certainly buy a SR9c based off that alone if I had the cash to do so. But I can see why plenty of people might have a particular attitude towards this new SR9c.

Many members here have had a bad taste in their mouth after dealing with Ruger and the SR9's "Teething Problems".

Josh

mrme

Bearcat
All very true -

But honestly, how many of those same people have ever been completely BURNT by Ruger? I venture to say NONE...!!! As Ruger has outstanding CS and they stand behind their products.

So really in the end if you get a lemon (which can happen with ANYTHING you buy) as long as the manufacturer is honest, has integrity, and stands behind their name and their products what's the big deal.

Not to be offensive - but people who let others do their "due diligence" are just plain ballless and to some degree stupid, as in: can you really, really, trust what anyone says or reports on Internet forums? Peoples opinions are vast and wide. What one thinks is a major problem, another might think is minor.

Just sayin' - Man - Up and buy the pistol...!!!

jhearne

Buckeye
Compeletely burnt? I don't know, I can't read minds. But I have seen my fair share of "Is this Peening" or "Should I send it back to Ruger" threads over my past 2 years of reading and posting here on RF.com. I don't expect someone who has only has an SR9c (a supposedly better gun) and been here 6 days to fully understand where I'm coming from.

Do yourself a little favor and read up on what I'm talking about, the peening, the stiff mag releases, the heavy trigger. Some say its just wear, some swear there is a problem. I see both sides of it all. My SR9 peens some on it's back ears where it locks up, but not so much on the front part of the Barrel Block. Even still I shoot mine until it falls apart. Only then is it broken IMHO.

The whole "Not to be offensive - etc...." comment is a bit much. I'd say they are smart shoppers to not risk $400 on something that may not perform satisfactorily. I don't think Ruger intended to see a Recall on the SR9 in it's first year nor did they expect to be repairing a hefty number of SR9s that pummel themselves to noticeable deformation. I never said anyone got Burned by Ruger. Just put off and made aware that the product did have flaws on a gun by gun basis. Perhaps Ruger's QC has improved, we haven't seen many Peening threads lately. If thats the case, great, bravo Ruger for tightening up QC. If not, then it's just proof of how intermittent the problems actually are.

Josh

kscott

Single-Sixer
I'm with Josh, even though I bought my SR9c, I don't think I would have been so eager to do so if I had had to return my SR9 at some point to Ruger. I always research any relatively big purchase to an almost obsessive level before I buy. I don't really consider myself scared. I consider myself NOT filthy rich, and I want to know what I'm getting for my hard-earned money.

Anyway, just wanted to give everyone a little teaser that pics are taken and as soon as I put up this post, I will upload them and post em here. For me, I don't think they turned out too bad.

As far as the range report, it may be this weekend, it may not. Weather is a little crappy right now and there's snow on the ground, so I guess it depends on how I feel tomorrow. haha.

kscott

Single-Sixer
Here they are...
Ruger SR9c with most of its goodies. (sans lock, keys, box, papers,and mag loader)
IMG_1571.jpg

With full-size mag extension.
IMG_1572.jpg

With pinkie extension. (Sorry I didn't actually take the time to change the base for the pics, so it's just kind of resting in the mag well, but you can see what it'd look like.)
IMG_1573.jpg

With SERPA
IMG_1574.jpg

With Crossbreed Supertuck
IMG_1575-1.jpg

With its big brother OD
IMG_1576-1.jpg

Slides (note recoil spring differences which I'm sure everyone is aware of.)
IMG_1579-1.jpg

This pic shows the stamped "K" for stainless on my SR9 and the "A" on the SR9c for alloy.
IMG_1598-1.jpg

The only differences I can see are the little slot in the plastic on the right (of picture) and the little plastic piece rises higher in the lower left (of picture) on SR9 in front of little spring.
IMG_1585-1.jpg

Another view of it here. I can't tell where it could be that much different, but maybe I'm missing something.
IMG_1596-1.jpg

Barrels and recoil springs
IMG_1589-1.jpg

Full-size compared to 10 rd
IMG_1592-1.jpg

jhearne

Buckeye
Nice pics KScott, I'd have to tear one down to see what is different past the Fire Control Unit (that plastic piece you mentioned). If you get brave, it should be almost identical to the SR9 tear down if you want to shoot some pics for comparison.

Josh

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
mrme":2rthywoi said:
Not to be offensive - but people who let others do their "due diligence" are just plain ballless and to some degree stupid, as in: can you really, really, trust what anyone says or reports on Internet forums? Peoples opinions are vast and wide. What one thinks is a major problem, another might think is minor.

..!!!

Wow. :? I could say that people who buy a new model knowing it's direct ancestor was prone to problems are a little ballsy and to some degree stupid..but that would be offensive and I'd never say it.

I bet there are a lot of people HOT for the 9c who are going to wait and see if Ruger did their due diligence and fixed the problem. We all hope they got this one right. You really think cautious = ballless & stupid?

jhearne

Buckeye
revhigh":pw4riotp said:
kscott":pw4riotp said:

That's the BIGGEST compact pistol I think I've ever seen ....

REV

Remeber that it's slide is cut shorter underneath all the holster. Optical Illusion. Even if it's only a 1/2" ;).

Josh