sr9c chambering question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

john16443

Single-Sixer
I don't know what your instruction booklet says for the SR9c, and there isn't one available on the Ruger site, but here is the direct quote from the SR9 booklet avaiable on the Ruger web site:

"The SR9(TM) pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition of the correct caliber loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and hollowpoint loads, loaded in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases. No 9mm Parabellum ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols."

Pretty much tells me that as long as it meets the above standards, it's good. Should say on the ammo box if it has been manufactured in accordance with one or more of the standards noted.

John

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Be advised that "+P+" isn't a real SAAMI rating. It's sort of like "XXX"; They figure if "+P" is good (and a true SAAMI spec) then "+P+" must be better!

It may be above safe pressure limits. On the other hand, if it's from a reputable company, it might be perfectly safe. I have some "+P+" .357 mag rounds from Miwall that make my GP100 "ring" and walk pins when I shoot it, that I wouldn't shoot in a lesser .357. Shoot them out of an LCR and you'll probably have a two-piece gun (and a broken hand). And you can buy this stuff the same as any other mail order ammo.

-- Sam

thunderman

Bearcat
thanks for the help. my manual reads the same. i'm just not good at reading between the lines of a broad statement.

the corbon rounds i bought have the saami statement printed on the box. a +P rating at 1335 fps
i fired two rounds from my gun. the primers are flat and flowing into the pin hole pretty good, but no leakage. i'm sure i'm not getting near the 1335 fps out of the 3 1/2 barrel, but they definitely have some heat to them.

newtmaker

Bearcat
Interesting. I chronyed some handloads for my SR9 this AM. Some were 90 gr Hornady XTP's with 5.4 g of Bullseye that averaged 1411 fps. They looked just fine afterwards and the groupings were among the best I have done, all under 1" at 8 meters. I realize that the 90 g will travel faster but I didn't expect that much. The 115g loads are hovering around 1200 fps depending on powder and amount.

Walt

GhosT

Blackhawk
thunderman,

Ya said...
"the corbon rounds i bought have the saami statement printed on the box. a +P rating at 1335 fps
i fired two rounds from my gun. the primers are flat and flowing into the pin hole pretty good, but no leakage. i'm sure i'm not getting near the 1335 fps out of the 3 1/2 barrel, but they definitely have some heat to them."

Yup, safe bet not getting 1335 outta a 3 1/2" barrel.
but ya also said..
" but they definitely have some heat to them."

No cocky advice here..but,don't sweat the numbers.
I use the CORBONS in my P95......
Researched the hell outta that round when it first came out..

Own 2 .357 magnums, one .40SW and the P95 9mm ...rotate them as house guns.
When the 9mm comes up as one of two,easy access house guns....
It is loaded with CORBONS!